Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ticking sound -- NOT A SLIPPED SLEEVE

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2016, 08:52 AM
TReK
Received 787 Likes on 654 Posts

I don't buy the argument that valve train noise would have stopped when the HT line was disconnected. If it's something mechanical in the valve train then it's going to happen regardless of spark.
That said, I would start with exhaust gaskets. Simpler to address. Spray them with copper coat first.

Old 05-06-2016, 09:03 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 111 Likes on 104 Posts

Originally Posted by mollusc
I don't buy the argument that valve train noise would have stopped when the HT line was disconnected. If it's something mechanical in the valve train then it's going to happen regardless of spark.
That said, I would start with exhaust gaskets. Simpler to address. Spray them with copper coat first.

what do you mean you "don't buy that?"
Does your engine differ in that it has 1 set of valves for all 8 cylinders? I'm pretty sure that mine has a set for each cylinder, so unless it is the rocker arm as a whole, valve train noise in a lot of circumstances can be isolated to a specific cylinder.

Old 05-06-2016, 09:10 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 245 Likes on 230 Posts

You know I am just remembering. I coat everything with copper coat. I'd spray my cat with it if he would stand still. I always spray the manifold gaskets with it, except for this one time. My wife was helping and I didn't want to make her wait.

I'll be finding my 12mm this afternoon and check them. I still feel it is a mechanical issue, though because it sounds like metal tapping. The sound seeks to be coming from the head and I was pleasantly surprised to not have any exhaust sound on the first startup, but honestly I have had exhaust sounds before and couldn't even figure out which side they were coming from.

Old 05-06-2016, 09:25 AM
Camel Trophy

Originally Posted by chubbs878
If the noise is in the valve train, it should have stopped on that cylinder when you pulled the HT wire. Now, if the whole rocker arm assembly were not torqued down, maybe. What about the exhaust manifold and gaskets? did you check the torque on those bolts again? it's pretty loud...maybe exhaust leak
Help me understand this, Chubbs. Since the sound didn't change, what should I be inferring from that? Acamoto had good info on the rod cups but they wouldn't jump in and jump off. So I'm a little stumped from a guessing perspective. I have to help my daughter move on Saturday but I'm primed to pull everything off Sunday, swap my lower intake put the studs on... but I have low confidence that I know what to look for.

Last edited by Charlie_V; 05-06-2016 at 09:51 AM.
Old 05-06-2016, 12:14 PM
Pro Wrench

Faulty/ collapsed cam follower, rocker arm pushrod insert/s worn, were the followers replaced with genuine ones or generic GM ones? The other issue that can arrise after machining deck heights and cylinder heads is that lifter clearances become too tight . Have a read https://www.google.com.au/url?sa=t&s...97D6vqVO8gixkQ

this article that he posted has mostly to do with adjusting lifters so I don't know what hes thinking, really. But I didn't want to ask. Obviously he thinks that the preload has changed since you have swapped so many parts, but I don't know anything about that, myself. You aren't going to adjust your lifters but if you at lease check your clearances you may find something. That new cam may not be syncing/vibe'ing with the stock valve train components. The mechanic that advised you to upgrade the springs....why don't you give him a call and tell him about the tapping noise and see what he thinks.

Last edited by chubbs878; 05-06-2016 at 12:28 PM.
Old 05-06-2016, 12:38 PM
Camel Trophy

Faulty/ collapsed cam follower, rocker arm pushrod insert/s worn, were the followers replaced with genuine ones or generic GM ones? The other issue that can arrise after machining deck heights and cylinder heads is that lifter clearances become too tight . Have a read https://www.google.com.au/url?sa=t&s...97D6vqVO8gixkQ

this article that he posted has mostly to do with adjusting lifters so I don't know what hes thinking, really. But I didn't want to ask. Obviously he thinks that the preload has changed since you have swapped so many parts, but I don't know anything about that, myself. You aren't going to adjust your lifters but if you at lease check your clearances you may find something. That new cam may not be syncing/vibe'ing with the stock valve train components. The mechanic that advised you to upgrade the springs....why don't you give him a call and tell him about the tapping noise and see what he thinks.
He died! My luck!

Old 05-06-2016, 12:39 PM
Pro Wrench

Wow, he could've told you exactly what was wrong....DOHHH!!!

Too bad you couldn't swap the factory camshaft in real quick to see what happens

Did you put in new push rods with the new camshaft?

Last edited by chubbs878; 05-06-2016 at 12:42 PM.
Old 05-06-2016, 12:48 PM
TReK
Received 787 Likes on 654 Posts

what do you mean you "don't buy that?"
Does your engine differ in that it has 1 set of valves for all 8 cylinders? I'm pretty sure that mine has a set for each cylinder, so unless it is the rocker arm as a whole, valve train noise in a lot of circumstances can be isolated to a specific cylinder.
I mean that if the noise is a mechanical origin, it will occur regardless of spark (as I said). Pulling off the HT lead is not going to affect the valve train.
I'm not in any way saying that valve train noise cannot be isolated to a single cylinder; I'm saying that pulling off the HT lead won't aid you with that isolation unless the noise is something to do with a spark condition.

Old 05-06-2016, 12:52 PM
Winching
Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts

I love this thread! (I don't love that you are chasing your tail Charlie) I have no idea what is happening but I'm glued.

Old 05-06-2016, 01:23 PM
Pro Wrench

I mean that if the noise is a mechanical origin, it will occur regardless of spark (as I said). Pulling off the HT lead is not going to affect the valve train.
I'm not in any way saying that valve train noise cannot be isolated to a single cylinder; I'm saying that pulling off the HT lead won't aid you with that isolation unless the noise is something to do with a spark condition.

I would love to debate that. I'm a little busy at work now so it will have to wait.

Quick Reply: Ticking sound -- NOT A SLIPPED SLEEVE