Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ticking video

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2012, 05:21 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ticking video

I had this intermittent ticking when engine is warm ever since I bought the truck, oil pressure was ok and truck is running fine. I noted that the ticking goes away with very slight rise in RPM, even below 1000 RPM. Does this point towards anything.

Ticking discovery - YouTube

Old 04-05-2012, 05:25 PM
Administrator
Received 103 Likes on 85 Posts

What are the oil pressures, OK doesn't tell us anything?
Video won't tell us much either, you, like everybody else are going to have to pull the valve train to find your "TICK".

Old 04-05-2012, 07:36 PM
Rock Crawling

Originally Posted by Disco Mike
What are the oil pressures, OK doesn't tell us anything?.
Cold idle 46
cold 2000-2500 RPM 48-50
Hot idle 14-15
Hot 2000-2500 RPM 40

Even at 4K RPM it wont go pass 42-43 when hot

these were chcked with an Harbor Freight oil pressure gauge, Rotella 5-40 and Wix Filter

Last edited by hhalimi; 04-05-2012 at 07:40 PM.
Old 04-05-2012, 08:56 PM
Mudding
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If you want to isolate oil pressure - then hook up the gauge again and see if the ticking goes away when pressure goes up a little from the 14-15psi at idle... Listening to the video - I suspect it might...
That vid definately sounds like something relating to the valvetrain (or oil pump delivery) rather than the loose liner thing. The loose-liner noise seems to stay present until 2000+ rpm at which point it fades out against the sound of the engine, fan and exhaust.
Yours definately sounds like the traditional valvetrain noise of a lifter that is not getting enough pressure and not staying pumped up.

Last edited by turbodave; 04-05-2012 at 09:14 PM.
Old 04-05-2012, 09:05 PM
Mudding
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Disco Mike
What are the oil pressures, OK doesn't tell us anything?
Video won't tell us much either, you, like everybody else are going to have to pull the valve train to find your "TICK".

Hey Mike, I would really love for you to comment once and for all, in the open, about your honest opinion, on the possibility (however remote you consider it to be, in spite of any videos, or other evidence) that the liners in these engines can become loose as the A356-1 T6 alloy block expands and allow the liners to move up and down and make a noise.

Don't hold back, just let us know once and for all your opinion. At least that way we can all know once and for all that any rover v8 that has a tick has a problem with the valvetrain and nothing else.

Old 04-05-2012, 11:03 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Daily Miles

Halimi,
How many miles a day do you drive your Rover? I ask because I have intermittently had a similar sound, but really only after prolonged periods of just driving around town, so ~10 miles per day - mine is my daily driver. I've found the best cure for the ticking is to drive up to the mountains, to the desert, or even from my place in Marin to SF or San Jose. Makes me think sticking lifters, or something similar.

In fact, I'd be curious to know, for all the tickers out there, average daily miles. I'm starting to get the idea that if you are running these things a lot, and hard, they just aren't happy and get gummed up.

I'm not a mechanic and every time I play one, I only make things worse, but I've taken a ticking rover, loaded it with my dad, my son and 70 lb dog, gear for a week and driven over the Sonora Pass (el. 9,624 ft) at about 12 miles per hour and had no tick until months later when I'm only driving a few miles.

Best,
Dave

Old 04-06-2012, 07:54 AM
Super Moderator
Received 83 Likes on 80 Posts
Old 04-06-2012, 10:44 AM
Rock Crawling

Originally Posted by hunter
Halimi,
How many miles a day do you drive your Rover? I ask because I have intermittently had a similar sound, but really only after prolonged periods of just driving around town, so ~10 miles per day - mine is my daily driver.
Now that you say that, I do think that it ticks consistently when i drive it for longer periods of time. I have a 15mile commute to work and sometimes it ticks, when i arrive some times it doesn't. This video was made after driving maybe for 45 minutes continuesly and 20minutes prior to that with a short stop in between

Old 04-06-2012, 11:04 PM
Drifting
Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts

OP,

We are discussing your issues over on my new thread. Here is a little insight:

https://landroverforums.com/forum/ge...e-48770/page2/

turbodave,

I think you are correct. His sound was more of a "flat" sound. The rhythm is correct for the engine speed but as you said, it does not hang in there up to the 2500 rpm range before being drowned out. It could be valve train, but I would suspect a lifter that was collapsed partially would once slightly pumped up (oil pressure increase after 900 rpm) would stay pumped up a little longer. A lifter noise like that would then come back a little softer at first until it lost pressure again. His noise seemed to come back almost immediately after returning to idle.

I also noticed his noise was louder on the driver side than the passenger side. This could be something less "internal" and more "external". The reason I say this is that these engines seem to resonate any internal noises throughout the entire engine. This may be because of the entire engine being aluminum. This also makes it difficult to pinpoint the location of an internal tick.

If it were my truck, I would first inspect the exhaust (cats can tick when hot), disconnect the SAI vacuum lines to see if that changes anything, and try to inspect the flex plate.

He stated his oil pressure numbers and they seemed fair. He could use a little more pressure, but I would check those external issues first.

I'll past this on to him also.

Glad to see you care about others' problems too.