Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Time to Rebuild Bottom End

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2017, 03:06 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 32 Likes on 28 Posts

You have two things at play - your original problem of oil pressure and engine shake vs. rebuilding the engine. If you want to rebuild just remove the motor and do it right. If you are trying to solve the original problem take it one step at a time and get some pressure readings. The engine vibration could be almost anything (misfire, motor mount, drive shaft, injector, etc) and most likely nothing to do with engine bearings.

Old 12-23-2017, 12:24 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 235 Likes on 172 Posts

4 days.

4 days to pull the motor. OMG some of those bolts that mate the engine to the transmission were Grinches.

Now, some of you pro mechanics probably have air tools and all of the bends/joints and can pull these Rover motors in a few hours.

I can see that.

...but I'm an amatuer and it took me 4 days. Plus, my overhead light went out in my hangar so the actual Lift and move of the cherry picker was by car headlights.

Oy vey.

Anyway...now that I've done it I could probably pull it out again in 2 days using only hand tools again. There is a learning curve. Ouch.

Next month I'll start the teardown and begin ordering parts as I get the motor apart and discover all of its problems.

Wow!

I'm seriously regretting *NOT* leaving the motor in the Disco and just dropping the oil pan and front cover to replace bearings and oil pump.

Maybe... maybe I'll find something in the teardown that justifies all of this work to pull the motor out.

Well, at least it is out. The teardown should be easy since nothing will be in my way.

Anyone have a line on a decent performance cam?!

Old 12-23-2017, 10:44 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 245 Likes on 230 Posts

Originally Posted by No Doubt
4 days.

4 days to pull the motor. OMG some of those bolts that mate the engine to the transmission were Grinches.

Now, some of you pro mechanics probably have air tools and all of the bends/joints and can pull these Rover motors in a few hours.

I can see that.

...but I'm an amatuer and it took me 4 days. Plus, my overhead light went out in my hangar so the actual Lift and move of the cherry picker was by car headlights.

Oy vey.

Anyway...now that I've done it I could probably pull it out again in 2 days using only hand tools again. There is a learning curve. Ouch.

Next month I'll start the teardown and begin ordering parts as I get the motor apart and discover all of its problems.

Wow!

I'm seriously regretting *NOT* leaving the motor in the Disco and just dropping the oil pan and front cover to replace bearings and oil pump.

Maybe... maybe I'll find something in the teardown that justifies all of this work to pull the motor out.

Well, at least it is out. The teardown should be easy since nothing will be in my way.

Anyone have a line on a decent performance cam?!
Search for Dusty and cam. Or Charlie V and cam. There are two favorite cams for a mild performance and I got the one Dusty recommended. Until I destroyed that engine it worked pretty good.

If you replace the cam bearings yourself I would sure like to know exactly how you did it, with pics and videos please! I watched a youtube video in that subject and the process looked pretty medieval.

​​

Old 12-23-2017, 11:09 PM
Recovery Vehicle

Originally Posted by Charlie_V
Search for Dusty and cam. Or Charlie V and cam. There are two favorite cams for a mild performance and I got the one Dusty recommended. Until I destroyed that engine it worked pretty good.

If you replace the cam bearings yourself I would sure like to know exactly how you did it, with pics and videos please! I watched a youtube video in that subject and the process looked pretty medieval.

​​
I just saw this thread: https://landroverforums.com/forum/di...e-72562/page2/

Old 12-23-2017, 11:26 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 32 Likes on 28 Posts

When removing or installing, remove the motor mounts and lower the engine as far as you can. Most the bolts are easily accessed with a box end wrench or a swivel head socket. 1 hr tops

The following users liked this post:
No Doubt (12-23-2017)
Old 12-24-2017, 01:10 AM
Recovery Vehicle

So Crower's 53229 seems to list 258hp: https://www.crower.com/media/masterc...ex.html?page=1 for $275

RPI seems to have a Torque Max camshaft: RPi Engineering - V8 Engine and Component List

Old 12-24-2017, 04:34 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 1,160 Likes on 836 Posts

Personally, I never get jerked up about time anymore...heck...it's the only thing that's free anymore.

Actually, my eyes read 4 hours...when reading your post about pulling engine. Thought, "damn, that ain't bad at all, what's he complaining about?" Then I re-read. 4 days ain't bad either, if you are working on it after work or sporadically or have minimal mechanical skills. Heck, I've been a mechanic for forty years now...and it probably took me 4 days after work getting my wife's rover engine out. After wrenching all day, sometimes I can only get a few hours of motivation out of this body for more.

Anyhow...

Good job getting it out. Now, take your time rebuilding and look everything over twice or three times. No sense rushing something as important as this.

Brian.

No Doubt (12-24-2017)
Old 12-24-2017, 08:16 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 245 Likes on 230 Posts

Originally Posted by No Doubt
So Crower's 53229 seems to list 258hp: https://www.crower.com/media/masterc...ex.html?page=1 for $275

RPI seems to have a Torque Max camshaft: RPi Engineering - V8 Engine and Component List
That's the Crower cam I got; I couldn't remember. I do remember that it took a long time to arrive (maybe three weeks). I put it in a 4.6 and it was pretty zippy. I didn't notice any lope or rough running.
​​​​​​

No Doubt (12-24-2017)
Old 12-24-2017, 11:17 PM
Baja
Received 717 Likes on 622 Posts

Summit racing has the cam.

No Doubt (12-25-2017)
Old 12-26-2017, 01:48 PM
TReK
Received 480 Likes on 403 Posts

How good is the Crower 53229 camshaft?
Is there a noticeable, useable power gain?
Any improvement in mileage?
I have done alot of searching and reading, but can't find a definate answer.
I'm about to do a rebuild on an 04, 4.6
I can get a new Lucky8 cam (which I'm fine with) for around $80.
Or, spend over 3 times as much for the Crower.
I'm on a tight budget, and have a good engine.
I don't want to spend another $200 that I can use elsewhere.
Some engines respond great to a mild cam.
Others, a cam does nothing without other parts, exhaust, FI tune, ect.
So I am unsure if the cam is worth it.
I also don't want to regret not doing it.
Can anyone that has used this cam definately say it's worth it? Without just assuming it's better because it has a different duration?
Thank you for any advice.

Quick Reply: Time to Rebuild Bottom End