Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Timing Gears

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2012, 08:03 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Timing Gears

Well, I got the water pump off with the stubborn fan clutch still attached. Despite trying many techniques to hold it and take it off the usual way, failed. So, now for the fun stuff .

I am in the process of changing the oil pump out on my Discovery after it's oil light would remain on a bit longer than it should. Plus it does not sound near as smooth as my RR, and it falls within the particular (up that creek) vin range. I haven't gotten the timing cover off yet, but the sump is down and the water pump and fan clutch are off. The only thing about the project that I'm a tad fuzzy about is the timing chain and gears. The chain has slack in it so I ordered a new set from AB. Taking them off looks simple enough, but is there some locking/toque tool I need to buy/fabricate? I've looked in the rave manual and it looks really straight forward... Is it really THAT easy? I just did my Jag's timing system with the VVT units and dual over head cams. It required 3 locking tools! I'm not sure if the rover V8 is an interference engine, but I what to make sure I get the timing perfect.

As always, I appreciate any suggestions, thanks in advance!

Old 07-28-2012, 09:07 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 76 Likes on 62 Posts

nope, zap the cam bolt off with a 3/8 gun, remove/install new chain/sprockets with squares facing down towards each other, loctite bolt and torque down.

Old 07-28-2012, 09:27 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 30 Likes on 22 Posts

Thats good to know. I will be looking diligently at my RAVE. This weekend I'm doing my oil pump gear and timing chain too. Not excited about this job but needs to be done before I move to Colorado and dont have a guaranteed place to work on the Rover.
I wonder If I will see a slight increase in gas mileage since there is less slack in a new timing chain. Just curious?

Old 07-29-2012, 01:52 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks for the input Chris! One question though, once I align the sprockets for removal and remove them, will the camshaft stay put or jump over to a different timing? The reason I ask, my Jag required two locking tools for all four cams, otherwise they would move to an incorrect position because of the valve springs/timing of the overly complex head ache DOHC V8. I realize the rover V8 only has one cam though...

Main question,

If I remove the sprockets after I aligned the timing gears, will they stay in position?