Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tips on upgrading sound system?

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2017, 09:06 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 183 Likes on 157 Posts

Question about the subs,

You said that if I wire them both in series, it will bring the 4ohms subs down to 2ohms. I thought parallel wiring reduces the ohms, and series wiring increases the ohms? So I should wire them in parallel to bring the 4 ohms down to 2, right? But then if they're parallel, they'll need 180 watts x 2 = 360 watts. So I need a bigger amp than that kicker?

edit: what about this amp with the same polk woofers?
Amazon Amazon

Last edited by Jeff Blake; 08-09-2017 at 09:16 PM.
Old 08-09-2017, 10:31 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 965 Likes on 642 Posts

You're totally right, my b. The kicker should still work though cause it makes 300@2ohms. If you switch to a more expensive amp I'd go for a dual channel deal.

I understand keeping all your tools in your truck. I do the same but I've acquired even more tools since I started driving the Silverado. Not sure what I'm going to do when I switch back to the Disco cause I've got a welder to work around now. We'll see.

Old 08-09-2017, 10:54 PM
Pro Wrench

Do you mean a multi-channel amp to power all the speakers and sub in one unit?

The head unit I am looking at puts 50w out to each speaker (which is normal?) so those infinity speakers would definitely need a separate amp yes?

I've read that its a good idea to have two separate amps, one for the speakers, and one designed for the subs. For the speakers, I'd probably look at a 4 channel, right?

Last edited by Jeff Blake; 08-09-2017 at 11:09 PM.
Old 08-10-2017, 12:29 AM
Pro Wrench

OK here's the plan

Head unit: pioneer above
amp:
Amazon Amazon

subwoofers: 8" polk's x2 linked above
front components: Infinity linked above, but whats the difference between these?
Amazon Amazon

subwoofer amp: kicker linked above

For the rear speakers I will try without them, then with the factory ones, then the rockfords I have, and go from there. Ultimately I think a midrange speaker would work best back there to fill out the sound... as its probably not good to have tweeters pointed at the back of your head.

Last edited by Jeff Blake; 08-10-2017 at 12:31 AM.
Old 08-10-2017, 05:12 PM
7th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey Jeff. I like where your going with all this and may copy your vision on the head unit. I just joined up here after purchasing my first Disco two weeks ago. Looks like I live close by to you. Would be great if I could pick up some tips and check out your rig!

Old 08-10-2017, 05:56 PM
Camel Trophy

Looks like virtually no difference to me. Slightly shallower mounting depth and slightly higher sensitivity. Either will work perfectly fine for you.

If you want to amp the speakers you can, but there's no real need. They'll run just fine off the 50w from the head unit which, yes, is pretty average. I meant a 2 channel amp so you have one channel for each sub. Not necessary, but y'know.

If you wanted to amp the speakers it depends on a couple things. First would you want to amp just the front speakers or would you want to amp all four, assuming you're using rears? If just the fronts then the rears will run fine off the amp and you can use a 2 channel for the fronts. If you want to amp all four then yes, you'd want a four channel. You'll want the tweeter and mids to run off the same channel and only differentiate between left and right. You'll have a single line running into the included crossover and then you'll have two lines running out: one for the mid and one for tweeter.

Definitely not pleasant having tweeters pointed at your head, as you said. Now I will say this: If you so desired with the rockfords, you can disconnect the tweeter. There should be wires running through the speaker cone that go up to the tweeter. If you clip those so they're not contacting each other then the speaker should still work without the tweeter. If it doesn't then you'd just need to connect the two wires (which you clipped) on the magnet side and that will bypass the tweeter.

Old 08-10-2017, 07:22 PM
Pro Wrench

Originally Posted by Fighter13
Hey Jeff. I like where your going with all this and may copy your vision on the head unit. I just joined up here after purchasing my first Disco two weeks ago. Looks like I live close by to you. Would be great if I could pick up some tips and check out your rig!
For sure, send me a PM. Im in pacific beach

Old 08-10-2017, 07:25 PM
Pro Wrench

Originally Posted by Alex_M
Looks like virtually no difference to me. Slightly shallower mounting depth and slightly higher sensitivity. Either will work perfectly fine for you.

If you want to amp the speakers you can, but there's no real need. They'll run just fine off the 50w from the head unit which, yes, is pretty average. I meant a 2 channel amp so you have one channel for each sub. Not necessary, but y'know.

If you wanted to amp the speakers it depends on a couple things. First would you want to amp just the front speakers or would you want to amp all four, assuming you're using rears? If just the fronts then the rears will run fine off the amp and you can use a 2 channel for the fronts. If you want to amp all four then yes, you'd want a four channel. You'll want the tweeter and mids to run off the same channel and only differentiate between left and right. You'll have a single line running into the included crossover and then you'll have two lines running out: one for the mid and one for tweeter.

Definitely not pleasant having tweeters pointed at your head, as you said. Now I will say this: If you so desired with the rockfords, you can disconnect the tweeter. There should be wires running through the speaker cone that go up to the tweeter. If you clip those so they're not contacting each other then the speaker should still work without the tweeter. If it doesn't then you'd just need to connect the two wires (which you clipped) on the magnet side and that will bypass the tweeter.
Got it. Thanks. Yeah I might as well do a 4 channel and power all of them while I'm at it. I will proceed with the list of stuff I mentioned above.

I looked into the Kicker amp, and yeah while it's a little dated, it has fantastic reviews. I think it will work well with the dual 8" polks wired in parallel, bringing it down to a 2 ohm load.

Wakeboard pods arrived today. Whoah, bigger than expected! Subs arrived as well... heavy. Worried about those rivet nuts in the roof hanging on to those subs during bumpy rides.

Old 08-11-2017, 09:32 AM
Camel Trophy

Haha, yeah. Definitely a little dated. Had a buddy with one in his S10 in highschool and it was already a few year old model. I don't fear old equip though. I've got a ~25 year old amp in my silverado. :O

Very good. I think you'll be pretty pleased with that setup. Amping the speakers is a fine choice. It will increase your fidelity a small but noticeable amount. With that in mind, I'd recommend this amp instead.

Hifonics ZRX616.4 Zeus 4-Channel Class-A/B Car Amplifier, 600-Watt https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00T3VMU1E/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_GrBJzbHQRY0TA

Hifonix makes really nice amps. I've got a couple of them and they're really high quality. This one will be a near perfect match for those speakers. It makes 100w/channel@2ohms and 50w@4ohms. That should be a perfect match for those speakers because the infinitys run at 2 ohms.

Haha, yeah, might want to add two or three more hangers. I bet you'll have every bit of 100 lbs on the bar. Those wake pods are definitely large. The sub pods are gonna be even more so. Frankly I'd be more worried about torsional forces when accelerating and braking than I would about the weight alone. Looks to me like its gonna be pretty floppy. If it were me I'd brace it to give it some rotational resistance.

Last edited by Alex_M; 08-11-2017 at 09:34 AM.
Old 08-11-2017, 09:41 AM
Pro Wrench

That amp looks good. I'll do some more research.

I was thinking about getting this amp for the sub instead:
Amazon Amazon

It has more power to match the sub's rating better. I checked reviews on every audio site out there, and they're all 4.5+ stars. The kicker is factory refurbished, which is probably fine, but why not get newer equipment for a few more bucks?

Quick Reply: Tips on upgrading sound system?