Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

TJM air locker

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2019, 07:19 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Spam2021
Hey all, was wondering if anybody was running a TJM air locker? If, so what year D2 and what part number from TJM. Also if you had any problems with install. Thanks in advance
What part number do you have for it? Correct part number for a Rover diff is SKU: 168PL07

If you don't know then take the serial number off the unit and fire an email to TJM directly

You wouldn't be the first to get stung with spurious parts and told they fit your vehicle, I bought some S/H CVs for my Disco and was told they fitted and found out that they weren't even for a Rover axle

Old 03-20-2019, 08:18 PM
Three Wheeling

Originally Posted by Nigelw
What part number do you have for it? Correct part number for a Rover diff is SKU: 168PL07

If you don't know then take the serial number off the unit and fire an email to TJM directly

You wouldn't be the first to get stung with spurious parts and told they fit your vehicle, I bought some S/H CVs for my Disco and was told they fitted and found out that they weren't even for a Rover axle
I have 168PL12, and I verified with gear installer that its wrong one for my truck. I'm currently trying to sell this one so I can get the correct one.

Old 03-20-2019, 08:23 PM
Three Wheeling

Originally Posted by Nigelw

oh and I forgot to mention that I have been in contact with TJM over past couple weeks and I sent them the part number on locker and they verified its 168PL12

Old 03-20-2019, 08:39 PM
Three Wheeling

Originally Posted by Jeff Blake
Yeah, I'm looking to re-gear to 4.12 - ashcroft doesn't offer 4.11 - with 315/75r16. I have 1.41 gears in the transfer box... kind of wish I stayed at 1.2 or even went to 1.0 when I rebuilt the t-case, but 35's (okay, 34.6's) weren't in the cards at the time. 4.12 is a little too much for my setup, but 3.75 is too little. Add up the price of the locker, HD gears, bearings, misc parts, pegging kit, plus your time (and downtime), welding costs, and it doesn't seem to make sense to do your own diff rebuild.
Jeff, your on 315/75/16 now? How do you like them? Thats the size I want to go up to but not until I need tires and regear my diffs.

Old 03-20-2019, 10:59 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 102 Likes on 89 Posts

10/2002-2004 D2 came with the P38 style Diff. If you look for air lockers, they will be different part number for that year D2, or same locker plus a spacer plate for ring gear.

Lol, incorrect.

It's not helpful to spread inaccurate info online. All D2s will use the same ARB, Ashcroft, TJM, True trac, Kam, ETC locker. P38s also used 2 different differentials in their years, and the 4 pin was unique to them, and the later Defenders, but not the D2s

Last edited by ZGPhoto; 03-20-2019 at 11:08 PM.
Old 03-20-2019, 11:23 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 184 Likes on 157 Posts

Jeff, your on 315/75/16 now? How do you like them? Thats the size I want to go up to but not until I need tires and regear my diffs.
Ohh hey Jose, haha didn't realize that was you. No, i'm still on 235/85 all terrains with stock gears/axles... you have a smarter plan than I, but I'm feeling pretty impatient for bigger tires. I think if I take it a little easy on the 315/75's, and with 1.41 in the center, it'll tide me over til I can re-gear

honestly I don't know anything about TJM lockers, but maybe consider selling that TJM for an Aschroft instead since you have the wrong one. I think they're quite a bit cheaper too. Then you can get your axles and stuff all from the same place. Dave helped me a lot with my transfer case rebuild and knows rover drivetrain better than anyone

Last edited by Jeff Blake; 03-20-2019 at 11:25 PM.
Old 03-20-2019, 11:43 PM
Three Wheeling

Originally Posted by ZGPhoto
Lol, incorrect.

It's not helpful to spread inaccurate info online. All D2s will use the same ARB, Ashcroft, TJM, True trac, Kam, ETC locker. P38s also used 2 different differentials in their years, and the 4 pin was unique to them, and the later Defenders, but not the D2s
Well if I'm spreading incorrect info I apologize, I'm just going off what Wes at TJM told me. I know how valuable having correct info on these forums can be.

Ohh hey Jose, haha didn't realize that was you. No, i'm still on 235/85 all terrains with stock gears/axles... you have a smarter plan than I, but I'm feeling pretty impatient for bigger tires. I think if I take it a little easy on the 315/75's, and with 1.41 in the center, it'll tide me over til I can re-gear

honestly I don't know anything about TJM lockers, but maybe consider selling that TJM for an Aschroft instead since you have the wrong one. I think they're quite a bit cheaper too. Then you can get your axles and stuff all from the same place. Dave helped me a lot with my transfer case rebuild and knows rover drivetrain better than anyone
Yeah its me lol, yeah there was a mix up in communication when I picked up this locker which is why I have it. Lesson learned for me is to double check the part number of what you are buying. Who is Dave? Is it ZGphoto? If hes local I wouldnt mind visiting him to chat about drivetrain. Yeah and I'm def trying to sell this locker, I posted it up earlier but no interest yet. If my info that I got from TJM is wrong I'll have to edit my classified post.

Old 03-20-2019, 11:52 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 184 Likes on 157 Posts

Well if I'm spreading incorrect info I apologize, I'm just going off what Wes at TJM told me. I know how valuable having correct info on these forums can be.

Yeah its me lol, yeah there was a mix up in communication when I picked up this locker which is why I have it. Lesson learned for me is to double check the part number of what you are buying. Who is Dave? Is it ZGphoto? If hes local I wouldnt mind visiting him to chat about drivetrain. Yeah and I'm def trying to sell this locker, I posted it up earlier but no interest yet. If my info that I got from TJM is wrong I'll have to edit my classified post.
Ahh, good luck. My bad, Dave Ashcroft owns Ashcroft Transmissions... in the UK. https://ashcroft-transmissions.co.uk
As far as I know, they're the only ones who even make HD axles for the d2

Old 03-21-2019, 12:11 AM
Three Wheeling

Ahh, good luck. My bad, Dave Ashcroft owns Ashcroft Transmissions... in the UK. https://ashcroft-transmissions.co.uk
As far as I know, they're the only ones who even make HD axles for the d2
ok thanks, I'll email Dave tomorrow. Another place that makes D2 HD axles (or sells) is GBR in Utah. They are about $800 for the rear pair and I cant remember how much the front ones are. Bill Davis is also very knowledgeable on the D2s and he will talk to you for a good long time about Rovers. I'm Gonna email Bill as well cause I dont know how familiar Dave is with the US market of D2 rear diffs.

Old 03-21-2019, 11:25 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 102 Likes on 89 Posts

All good.

I would avoid a company who makes lockers & thinks D2s have 2 different styles needed, they shouldn't be trusted.

I stand firmly behind Ashcroft & have run their air lockers for years, as well as their D2 & d1 HD shafts.