Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tools and Equipment I Carry Full TIme

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2018, 03:18 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 941 Likes on 633 Posts
Default Tools and Equipment I Carry Full TIme

Another user recently posted up a question asking what all we carried in our trucks, as far as tools, equipment, and spares are concerned. Well here's my list including pictures.

Starting off are essentials. Things I would recommend everyone carry. There's a couple of things here that can be rotated out, but these are my basics.

There are a couple things I didn't picture, but they are as follows.
  • Crank Sensor - These will leave you dead in the water when they go bad. The AutoZone part is only about $54. It's the genuine Bosch sensor in another box.
  • Extra quart of oil
  • A serpentine belt, I'll add a part number later, which will run the truck without ACE, Power Steering, or AC. That means if any of those three systems fail, or if the serpentine belt breaks, you can still drive the truck without issue.
  • Zip ties - Get a couple hundred packs of zip ties. You'll be surprised how often you use them and how quickly you burn through them.
  • RTV Black - In a pinch, can be used in place of just about any gasket.
And that's it. There's little other that will leave you actually stranded so there's no need to to take up space in the truck with them. Some water would be a good idea to carry, especially if your truck leaks coolant, but mine doesn't really lose any and I can find water pretty much wherever I am.

Name:  Tf1QtTF.jpg
Views: 89
Size:  1.56 MB

In this picture are the following:
  • Ice scraper - Only important for certain climates
  • Multimeter - This is a quality multimeter, but even a cheapo $10 multimeter you get at walmart would be a huge help in diagnosing electrical issues.
  • Mechanix gloves - I've used cheap gloves and expensive ones. I've come to find that quality gloves are worth the investment.
  • Tire pressure gauge - a good one. I fooled with cheap pressure gauges for years. Finally invested in a quality one and I won't look back.
  • Cheap Knife - Always handy to have a knife around that you don't care about. Handy all the time. I last used it along with a hammer to cut metal roofing material.
  • Utility Knife - Very utilitarian.
  • 3.5 lb hammer - This is very possibly my most used tool. Maybe second most used, second to a 12" crescent wrench of course.
  • MAF Cleaner/Electrical Contact Cleaner - Either is handy for cleaning out electrical connections and sensors on the fly. Can also be used in place of brake cleaner sometimes.
  • Framing hammer - Honestly, you probably only need one hammer, but I keep two. Sometimes it's handy to use them together, especially when using the claw end as a wedge.
  • Isopropyl Alcohol spray bottle - Useful for cleaning... just about anything. I use it most for cleaning before applying stickers and sanitizing wounds.
  • Bottle Jack - The big floor jack is really nice, and it's what I kept in the pickup bed of my truck, but space is at more of a premium in the disco. The bottle deck still works fine. Hi-lift is also nice, but has its restraints.
  • 1-1/16" socket - correct size for lug nuts
  • Water spray bottle - Useful for a great many reasons, though most often used on wrinkled clothes. A moderate misting on wrinkled clothes then patting them down by hand is nearly as good as using a clothes iron.
  • Bluetooth OBD2 reader - Incredibly useful when used in conjunction with the Torque app on an android device. Reads engine codes and gives access to live sensor data.
  • Socket and Box Wrench Set - A quality socket and box wrench set is absolutely necessary above mostly anything else. There are few jobs you can do without a socket set.
  • Vice Grips - I keep around several pairs of these cheap WalMart vice grips. I think they're like $4 a pair and they're super useful. I actually used two sets on each exhaust manifold at one point when I broke off the studs. Held for months without any leaks until I upgraded to headers.
  • Drill Bag - Has several things; I break it down further below.
  • First Aid Kit - Contains all kinds of goodies. Isopropyl alcohol, band aids, ace bandage, old fabric belt, ibuprofen, benadryl, Epi-pens, etc.
  • Ammo box containing jumper cables - Specifically heavy gauge jumper cables. It makes quite a difference.
  • THE tool box - This box contains.... a lot. I also break it down below.
  • Not listed in this picture, a breaker bar or torque wrench. Useful, mostly, for lug nuts. Factory lug wrench also works, but I prefer a ratcheting torque wrench that I can use on multiple size sockets.
Name:  sPgfHuZ.jpg
Views: 82
Size:  1.18 MB

It's nice to have both deep and shallow sockets. Ratcheting box wrenches are also extremely useful. I actually found my 9/16" wrench just a few minutes after I snapped this.

Name:  XlYxBd1.jpg
Views: 91
Size:  2.32 MB

This is the primary tool box. It's used quite a lot; nearly every job I take on. Contains the following.
  • 12" Crescent Wrench - Not some Chinese BS, a genuine made in the US crescent brand wrench. They can be found on eBay for $12-$15 a pop most of the time.
  • 8" Crescent Wrench x2 - One of these are a cheapie, the other is made in the US. Still not super high quality. That said, they get the job done in a pinch. I usually lean toward the 12" crescent when possible.
  • Channel Locks x2 - Two separate but similar size sets. It was a set of three I found at a yard sell, but I seem to have lost the third set.
  • Standard and Metric Box Wrenches - Most of these are ratcheting, but not all. The metric wrenches are a cobbled together set.
  • Torx sockets - Very useful There are quite a few Torx head bolts on these Discos.
  • Socket adapters - Pretty self explanatory
  • Spark Plug Gap Tool - I also keep one of these on my key chain. Or I did, until I lost it in the woods. I actually just realized as I type this and I'm kinda sad. I've carried it since highschool.
  • Snap Ring Pliers - This is a pretty large pair that I honestly haven't used. I also have a smaller pair with different sets of jaws that I think is more useful.
  • Wire snips - many many different cutting uses. Used most for trimming zip ties I think.
  • Flat blade screwdriver - a quality made in the US screwdriver. I use as many made in the US tools as I can afford to. They tend to be higher quality and I like supporting US business when I can.
  • Phillips drill bit - This is actually misplaced and should be in my drill bag.
  • Round file - Useful for cleaning up the inside of freshly cut pipes and tubes, sharpening my hawkbill knife, and sharpening chain saws.
  • More torx wrenches
  • Zip Ties - I also keep a bag of zip ties in the truck, but I keep a hand full in the tool box.
  • Socket swivel joints - I honestly cant remember the last time I used these, but every once in a while they come in incredibly handy.
  • Black tape - a necessary addition to any and every form of repair kit
  • Ear plugs - This is something I'm pretty serious about. Guys, your hearing is more fragile than most people think. Get serious about protecting it. You can NOT regain it, at least in the same capacity, once you lose it.
  • Hose clamps - Always nice to keep a couple around.
  • Standard and Metric Allen Keys - I like these sets that fold together. They're the only allen keys I've never lost. Knock on wood.
  • Screwdriver w/ replaceable bit - Handy to have around, though this one serves as only a phillips bit. I need to just get a regular phillips screwdriver.
  • Utility knife blades
  • Swiss army knife - I've used it maybe once, but it doesn't take up much space.
  • 320 and 600 grit sandpaper - Numerous uses, highly useful.
  • Utility knife, with hook blade - GREAT for opening clamshell packages.
  • Spare battery terminal connector - Just useful to keep around. I use them more often than you might think, though rarely on the Disco.
  • Alligator leads - useful for electrical diagnostics and testing.
  • Sharpie - I'm sure you can figure this one out.
  • Bastard File - My most used file. I'm about to need another, and I've only had this one a couple weeks.
  • Another phillips bit with a quick change end - also rarely used, but doesn't take up much space
  • Super glue - Starting to sound like a broken record, but has a myriad of uses. That is the key to saving space in a vehicle tool kit, though.
  • Cheapo dial calipers - Like $12 at Harbor Freight. Not SUPER accurate, but close enough for govt. work. Starts reading wrong when the batteries get weak, FYI.
  • Short and long ratchet extensions
  • Utility knife with standard blade
  • Hardened chisels - A tool that's much more useful than I initially believed they would be.
  • Brass punches - Also incredibly useful. I got them for working on bearings.
  • 1/2" drive impact sockets and spark plug sockets
Name:  Pml1UvP.jpg
Views: 81
Size:  1.12 MB

I bought this Bauer drill on a whim one day from Harbor Freight. I've honestly been impressed with it. She's been ridden hard and put away wet. I did make a couple minor modifications. I soldered in a diode to make the trigger last longer. I also switched the chuck out with one off a DeWalt XRP that I had laying around. The chuck was fine, but obviously the DeWalt chuck is better.
  • Fluke 117 Multimeter - This is where I keep my multimeter. I use this kit largely for electrical repair.
  • Tap and Die Kit - I rarely use nuts on anything anymore. I tap everything I can. It makes assembly/disassembly much simpler and cleaner.
  • Bit and Adapter Kit - This box contains all my drill bits, socket adapters, and other things. One nice little addition to this tool kit that I use a TON is a little hole chamfer tool. Super useful.
  • Torpedo Level - Small, but accurate enough for just about anything.
  • Multi-bit screwdriver - I use this screwdriver all the time. It's immensely useful. Rarely use the ratcheting function though.
  • Roofing screws - Strong and self tapping. Useful for a great many quick and dirty type jobs and repairs.
  • A single wire nut - Not really sure how it even got in my bag, but I could use a few more.
  • 12' Tape Measure - I like these $1 WalMart tape measures as well as any tape measure I've ever owned. They're small, light, tell me distance accurately enough, and best of all they're cheap! I keep a bunch around.
  • The afore mentioned drill. Obviously no DeWalt/Milwaukee, but has done surprisingly well and I've used her hard. Very comfortable in the hand. I do intend to upgrade to a DeWalt XRP in the future, but for now she's doing just fine. I love the bag it came with and will continue to use it when I get the DeWalt.
  • Spade bits - A pretty crappy set, honestly, but wood is much softer than metal which is what I cut my teeth on.
  • Extra drill battery - These are only $20 each! Supposed to have Samsung cells inside, too. If that's the case then these are really quality batteries. Seem to last as long on a charge as the old DeWalt NiCad's
  • Ink pen
  • Paint pen - As far as marking goes, the most useful tool I own.
  • USA made Craftsman 8" Crescent Wrench - This is actually quite the quality wrench. I found it at a flea market for like $2.
  • Metal screws - More screws useful for small, quick, and dirty jobs.
  • Crimping tool - This is a cheapo crimping tool I got at WalMart about 5 years ago. They've seen a lot of work and are holding up quite well.
  • Stripping tool - The crimping tool has a stripping tool integrated, but the stripping tool is much nicer to use most of the time.
  • Needle Nose Pliers - I did without them for a long time, just never got a pair. Honestly still don't use them all that much, but occasionally quite useful. I really need to get a pair of lineman's pliers.
  • Voltage detection pen - first line of defense with electrical work. Don't really need it for automotive work, but I use it for work on AC electricity.
  • Pencils - good for marking and you can use them to make resistors in a pinch. Even variable resistors.
  • Tap handle - for using the tap and die kit. I dream about the Starrett tap wrench. Expensive though. One day.
  • More alligator leads
  • Small metric socket set - I use these with the drill all the time.
  • IR temperature gun - I use it more for fun than for actual use, but once in a while it's useful. For like $12 on eBay, it's fun to have
The rest is the ancillary stuff. For one reason or another most people won't want to carry the majority of this stuff around.

Name:  E8ZyGv5.jpg
Views: 82
Size:  1.74 MB
  • Chainsaw
  • Tow strap
  • Respirator - Y'all, protect your lungs too.
  • Light
  • 180 degree thermostat - I run a 187 thermostat, but I keep around a 180 in case it gets too hot outside and she starts running warm.
  • Bar oil
  • Gasoline 50:1 w/ oil
  • Hitch with 4" drop receiver
  • Hitch shackle
  • Hitch for hay trailer
  • Shade 10 Welding Goggles - I usually also keep some welding rods and a rod handle. In a pinch on the trail you can weld by hooking up two automotive batteries in series. I also take my wire welder in and out of the truck.
  • Not pictured is my 2014 Electrical Code Book
Name:  xGxQGJJ.jpg
Views: 78
Size:  1.43 MB

This is mostly camping gear and a few other things.
  • Skateboard - I like to skateboard quite a lot. I use it to get around sometimes. Usually just up a parking lot into a store, but once in a while I get to ride more.
  • Propane torch - Lots of uses. I used it in making my CB mount.
  • CB Radio - I haven't installed it yet. The rest of the goodies to install it are coming in the mail on Monday. I'll probably do a write up on installing it.
  • Torque wrench - Well it used to be. It's just a ratcheting breaker bar now. I need to get another torque wrench.
  • Mag lite - Everyone needs a flashlight. This mag lite doesn't throw light great, but its nice and heavy. Can be used as a defensive tool and throws enough light to be useful. I keep it between the drivers seat and transmission tunnel.
  • Fire extinguisher - Everyone should have a fire extinguisher in their truck. This is just a little 1 lb extinguisher, but I fully intend to upgrade to a 4 lb extinguisher soon.
  • Axe - I've put a lot of work into this axe. It's a 3.5 lb craftsman head on a 26" hickory handle. For me, a great camping axe.
  • Ammo box full of ratchet straps
  • Sleeping bag - This sleeping bag is literally older than I am. My dad bought it new and I'm still using it. Pretty good bag, but I might upgrade. It's kinda bulky for what it does.
  • Large ammo box with camping supplies - These boxes are only $17 at my local Army Navy store! They're galvanized steel and could easily be waterproofed. Awesome box.
Name:  nU3Y0L9.jpg
Views: 81
Size:  1.70 MB
  • Pictured in the box
    • Gloves - I don't think I've ever even put them on.
    • Sheet - Used them once before I had the sleeping bag
    • Rag
    • Speaker Cable - a myriad of uses when you're in a pinch, but has pretty much been superseded by the alligator leads.
    • Note pad
    • Black tape - I keep the stuff everywhere. I used to use it more before I started using zip ties, but I still use it all the time.
  • Air Mattress - You can get a twin size air mattress at WalMart for $8! Super useful to have around. I keep it in a cheapo backpack both to protect it from holes and for easy transport.
  • Electric Air Pump - Another $8 I think at WalMart. Takes seconds to air up the mattress.
  • Manual Air Pump - Makes an annoying squeaky sound every time it blows air and takes a few minutes to pump, but works in a pinch. I think this one is from Dollar General.
  • Gold Bond - A must if you're going to be building up some sweat. A must for some people on the daily. Seriously a world changer.
  • Umbrella - Only really use it if I'm dressed up with the little lady. Otherwise I just wear a jacket and hat.
  • Emergency Water
  • Emergency Poncho
  • Knife
  • Matches
  • Battery Terminal - Not sure why it's in here, but I left it anyway.
  • Wheel chocks - made from two pieces of 2x4 screwed together and cut at an angle
  • Paper Towels - I need to switch these out for a roll of shop towels. They're a million times better.
  • Small First Aid Kit
  • Wire... sort of. It's like a single solid wire with a thick rubber sleeve over it. My parents got it for me as a stocking stuffer. Could be used for binding things, but I've never used any.
And there you go! That's all the things I carry in my truck full time. There are some other things I rotate in and out, but this is the regular stuff.

Throw me your ideas and feedback!

Last edited by Alex_M; 01-13-2018 at 06:09 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Alex_M:
longshot (03-15-2020), skucera (07-31-2019)
Old 01-13-2018, 04:11 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 189 Likes on 184 Posts

Thanks for the list and explanations.

Condoms?

The following users liked this post:
garrddogg (08-13-2019)
Old 01-13-2018, 05:41 AM
Received 368 Likes on 344 Posts

Hi

The skateboard could be useful when the D2 breaks down

I just call my insurers who send a tow truck (depannage) to collect the truck. Alex, if I carried that little lot there would be no room for the wife and her multiple bags, clutter etc .................. hmmm gives me an idea

Last edited by OffroadFrance; 01-13-2018 at 05:47 AM.
Old 01-13-2018, 07:42 AM
Mudding
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Alex,

Much appreciated sir. That's a lot of stuff! You've definitely given me some ideas though - thank you!

Old 01-13-2018, 10:33 AM
Camel Trophy

Originally Posted by number9
Thanks for the list and explanations.

Condoms?
Welcome! I need to make a few edits as I was about to pass out when I finished at 4:00 this morning, but overall I'm pretty happy with it.

Add it to the list!

Old 01-13-2018, 10:35 AM
Camel Trophy

Originally Posted by OffroadFrance
Hi

The skateboard could be useful when the D2 breaks down

I just call my insurers who send a tow truck (depannage) to collect the truck. Alex, if I carried that little lot there would be no room for the wife and her multiple bags, clutter etc .................. hmmm gives me an idea
Haha, not where I live it wouldn't be. Too rural and hilly, and not smooth enough for the board.

You'd be surprised. All this fits nicely in the rear hatch, ALONG worth my big subwoofer box. I'll have to add a picture of it filled. I can tell you this much; the girlfriend still finds a way. Haha

Old 01-13-2018, 10:37 AM
Camel Trophy

Originally Posted by attworth
Alex,

Much appreciated sir. That's a lot of stuff! You've definitely given me some ideas though - thank you!
Welcome, att! Yeah, I carry a lot. And I use every bit of it, other than the hand full of items I listed that I don't.

Old 01-13-2018, 05:47 PM
TReK
Received 652 Likes on 559 Posts

Alex, it looks like you have it well covered with this proper ditch kit.

BUT, I think you left out one very important thing...
... find some room for a JerryCan Bar and you will be ready for anything!!

Last edited by OverRover; 01-13-2018 at 05:50 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by OverRover:
matt3502 (01-14-2018), No Doubt (01-16-2018)
Old 01-13-2018, 06:06 PM
Super Moderator
Received 1,464 Likes on 1,195 Posts

What OverRover posted and a AAA card

Old 01-13-2018, 06:07 PM
Camel Trophy

Oh man, that's sick! I now 100% intend to build one of those at some point. No sarcasm at all. Expect a full post whenever I do.

Quick Reply: Tools and Equipment I Carry Full TIme