Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Total Loss Disco, also my hawkeye for sale

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2011, 08:37 AM
Administrator
Received 103 Likes on 85 Posts

Originally Posted by lipadj46
Thanks for the kind words guys. I looked under the hood of the VW and scratched my head, WTF? This should be fun. At least I enjoy working on cars. And I do not believe there is a more unreliable car than a DII. I loved mine and will own another one day but man they are unreliable in a reliable kind of way.
Sorry to hear about your truck, take it you are OK.
The good news for you is that with the Passat, you won't need to open the hood other then for oil changes so you better find another hobby to take up your time.

Old 01-22-2011, 08:51 AM
TReK
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Disco Mike
Sorry to hear about your truck, take it you are OK.
The good news for you is that with the Passat, you won't need to open the hood other then for oil changes so you better find another hobby to take up your time.
Thx mike, I just bought some knitting needles I'm so bored

Old 01-22-2011, 08:58 AM
TReK

Also I should add the disco is a crazy safe truck. I hit a pole at 40 mpg and did not even feel the collision, the truck absorbed nearly the entire impulse. No bruises, no whiplash, and no airbags thankfully. I am wondering though if the airbags failed to deploy, there were no SRS codes.

Old 01-22-2011, 11:00 AM
Winching
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Two words on the VW... "fuel injection" If any part of that fuel system fails, dump it. Too bad you didn't get a diesel, they last forever. One good thing about the VW is they're safe cars. When it comes to the cost of parts though, you'll think you still had a Rover!

Eric

Old 01-22-2011, 11:10 AM
TReK

Originally Posted by SDinDS
Two words on the VW... "fuel injection" If any part of that fuel system fails, dump it. Too bad you didn't get a diesel, they last forever. One good thing about the VW is they're safe cars. When it comes to the cost of parts though, you'll think you still had a Rover!

Eric
I was trying to find a TDI but people want stupid money for those things especially the wagons. Believe me I know I should have bought a subaru but I'm a sucker for euro cars and all the bells and whistles plus the wife had her heart set on a VW. This passat is well maintained with all the recalls and services taken care of. The timing belt and water pump was just done so we shall see. I am buying a shop manual and a VCDS scanner and reading up. I figure If I can make my disco a super reliable vehicle I can tackle whatever the VW throws at me.

Old 01-22-2011, 01:51 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 52 Likes on 43 Posts

I've got a VW Jetta TDI (Diesel) with 175K on the clock that has been a great runner (other than the tranny which the PO had rebuilt). To me it seems pretty straight forward and there is an endless amount of support online. I've known guys that have owned Pasaats and to my recollection they haven't had much trouble. Every model has it's weak (and strong) points. Anyway, good luck.