Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Traction control question

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2016 | 11:26 PM
|
Mudding
Default Traction control question

I have an 04. I did the three amigos fix several years ago so no more light show. I did the factory manual brake bleed but after reading a few threads here about how the only way to get all the air out is have a shop with the Rover computer bleed the brakes. I have a very trusted rover only mechanic bleed my brakes but last weekend we were climbing some loose rocks my wife who was spotting for me said my right front tire was in the air (spinning) and my left rear tire was digging a hole. The TC pump was running and it seemed like the brakes were trying to grab but with those two tires spinning I was not going anywhere. Is tha normal or should the TC lock up the spinning wheels?

Old 09-02-2016 | 05:51 PM
TReK

I dont believe the TC locks the wheels that are free spinning, but I do know that when you enage the differential locker in low range, the tired will stop free spinning and more even power is divided to all your wheels and often times permitting you to progress further down the trail

I think the TC system works by using the abs to automatically apply minor braking to whichever wheel is losing traction.

Old 09-02-2016 | 08:04 PM
Mudding

That's pretty typical behavior of the traction control. It will apply brakes to slow spinning wheels and transfer some torque across the same axle, but it's nothing compared to an actual locking differential. What you saw was a textbook situation where a CDL met its limit. One wheel on each axle was spinning with no traction, at you were dead in the water. Electronic traction control can sometimes help in a situation like that, but it won't really give you the grip to climb rocks, etc. I've been there myself.

Out of curiosity, where were you? A local trail?

Old 09-03-2016 | 09:11 AM
|
Mudding

Hey, thanks. If that is all it does I guess I have to live with it. I have often wondered why people install locking diffs if the vehicle has traction control. This answers the question.