Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Transmission rebuild

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2011, 06:48 PM
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Transmission rebuild

I have a 2000 Discovery that I havent driven in over 3 years because the transmission "blew" in it. I only had reverse. I have finally found and bought a ZF rebuild kit for the transmission. With it came a atsg manual that kinda sucks, its been reproduced way too many times and you cant see any of the photos. The text and tech drawings are still good. I am looking for a good manual for rebuilding the transmission.
Another concern I have is that one of the codes was for "torque converter slipping". Does this mean the torque converter has failed as well and needs to be replaced?
ANY tips or info reguarding this project is appreciated.

Old 05-01-2011, 09:00 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Have you visually inspected the transmission housing for damage?

Old 05-01-2011, 09:20 PM
Winching
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Wink Land Rover Service Manual (RAVE; do search for transmission)

Originally Posted by skunkridge
I have finally found and bought a ZF rebuild kit for the transmission. With it came a atsg manual that kinda sucks, its been reproduced way too many times and you cant see any of the photos. The text and tech drawings are still good. I am looking for a good manual for rebuilding the transmission.
Land Rover Service Manual (RAVE; do search for transmission):land rover service factory manual RAVE download land rover resource, service manual, workshop factory manual, download, rave, vehicles including discovery, series, defender, range rover, freelander, LR3, Handbooks, Catalog, Catalogue, Land Rover Inte

LR Owner's Manual (in case you do not have original):Land Rover Owner Information (prs01736)

Ask questions as you go. Good luck!

Old 05-02-2011, 06:14 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 43 Likes on 41 Posts

I have a 2000 Discovery that I havent driven in over 3 years because the transmission "blew" in it. I only had reverse. I have finally found and bought a ZF rebuild kit for the transmission. With it came a atsg manual that kinda sucks, its been reproduced way too many times and you cant see any of the photos. The text and tech drawings are still good. I am looking for a good manual for rebuilding the transmission.
Another concern I have is that one of the codes was for "torque converter slipping". Does this mean the torque converter has failed as well and needs to be replaced?
ANY tips or info reguarding this project is appreciated.
How do you know the TC is NOT the problem? I had an Audi, which used a ZF Trans, people we're always complaining and commenting on the forums that the ZF's TC were notorious for failures. Not sure how close in comparison our trans's are to the one's used in the C5 Audi's? But...

I would start with replacing the TC (given the code you listed above). Get a cheap used one (from a salvage yard), re-install, and see if the truck has forward gears. A lot cheaper and a lot less work. If the truck has been sitting for 3years, theres obviously no rush to get it back on the road. Think about it, if it's only the TC you are saving yourself a ton of time and aggravation. Just my two cents...

Last edited by coors; 05-02-2011 at 06:17 PM.
Old 05-02-2011, 06:33 PM
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

spike, the housing looks good, i also had it at a garage here that was recommended by some of the few lr owners around. that is why i've concluded that it is the trans. also.
Mwindth thanks for the link, thats wicked. i actually bought the disk version of this years ago and cannot find it.
coors, i just might, after removal, swap in a different tc and reinstall on your two cents. thanks.
i will update

Old 05-02-2011, 08:02 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 43 Likes on 41 Posts

spike, the housing looks good, i also had it at a garage here that was recommended by some of the few lr owners around. that is why i've concluded that it is the trans. also.
Mwindth thanks for the link, thats wicked. i actually bought the disk version of this years ago and cannot find it.
coors, i just might, after removal, swap in a different tc and reinstall on your two cents. thanks.
i will update
keep us posted.