Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

transmission slipping

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2012, 04:34 AM
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default transmission slipping

i have a 2000 disco 2 i crawled under the other day to put trans fluid it i did so with the engine running put in a 1 1/2 quarts then when driving down the street it made a sound like a water pump going out then it started slipping when i got it home it barley made it in the drive way did i check the fluid right with the engine running and if i put to much in would it hurt it and i drained the fluid and it was a little black is the trans toast

Old 05-06-2012, 07:25 AM
Super Moderator
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

That black is the clutch dust from wear over time. Was it 1.5 quarts low to start with, or did you drain that also to begin with? Being a D2, dropping the pan is much easier to change the filter. The torque converter also has fluid inside it, which circulates when tranny is in gear, but does not drain, so drain and refill a couple of times with operation between will get most of that as well. Really bad trannys show dark fluid and it smells like a burnt coffee pot. The squealing is the internal pump crying for lubrication, and you may find that new fluid has cleaned off gunk and now has the filter clogged, reducing flow of fluid. And what fluid is flowing is full of particles, so plenty of slipping. So IMHO, change fluid and filter, should improve quite a bit. And if still a little slip, Lucas Transmission additive.

Old 05-07-2012, 09:28 AM
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

can u tell me how to change the filter and step by step the way to check and fill the transmission thank for all your help

Old 05-07-2012, 12:06 PM
TReK
Received 44 Likes on 37 Posts

I am about to do the same this weekend.
From what I have read:
1) 5 mm to drain the pan. Drain the pan.
2) Remove the 10mm bolts around the pan. They come down with aluminum retainers.
3) Remove pan.
4) Clean pan.
5) Remove filter and watch for where the "O" rings are seated.
6) Insert new "O" rings. Put trans fluid on the "O" rings.
7) Bolt the new filter in. Make sure all O rings are seated properly.
8) Put the new pan gasket on.
9) Put the pan up there and finger tight in the retaining clips and bolts.
10) Carefully snug up the 10mm bolts holding the pan on. I have heard these snap easy. So, just snug them. Do not put them in like you are wrestling an alligator.
11) fill in new fluid.
12) take it for a drive.
13) Top off with more fluid.
14) done.

Old 05-07-2012, 04:15 PM
Drifting
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Important point!!!

When you are filling these dipstickless trannies you must have the car at normal operating temp.

The vehicle must be level.

The engine should be RUNNING when you add the new fluid through the hole. An auto trans is not like an oil pan on the engine where all the lubricant drains to the bottom when not circulating. The pump is literally sucking fluid up from the pan and passing into various parts of the transmission. If you fill it cold and not running you can get an inaccurate level because you are just filling the pan and not the valve body and torque converter!!!

I made that msitake once on Ford Truck, I had. I filled it cold to the level of the dipstick but found it lagged and slipped when taking off from a stop sign. I found that I was 2 1/2 quarts low!! when I checked it hot.