Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Trim Fix/Removal

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2014, 09:17 AM
Overlanding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Trim Fix/Removal

I have a '99 that I need to replace the black exterior trim piece just behind the driver's side rear door. I assume I have to pop out the round plastic "plug", screw cover, or whatever it is on the inside that holds the big plastic interior trim that extends all the way back to the rear door. I don't want to break something taking it apart so what I am asking is, is it safe just to pop out that round plastic plug and pull the interior trim back far enough to swap out the nuts on the exterior trim piece? Or is there a better, or certain way it needs to be done? Thanks in advance.

Old 12-31-2014, 09:29 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 43 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by wild driver
I have a '99 that I need to replace the black exterior trim piece just behind the driver's side rear door. I assume I have to pop out the round plastic "plug", screw cover, or whatever it is on the inside that holds the big plastic interior trim that extends all the way back to the rear door. I don't want to break something taking it apart so what I am asking is, is it safe just to pop out that round plastic plug and pull the interior trim back far enough to swap out the nuts on the exterior trim piece? Or is there a better, or certain way it needs to be done? Thanks in advance.
I'm not sure I follow, can you post a pic of where you are referring too?

or maybe this work as a point of reference?

Old 12-31-2014, 10:01 AM
Overlanding

Sure,
The two inch wide piece of black plastic trim right behind the rear door. The piece between the door jamb and the painted part of the body between the rear door and the rear side window. If you go up the joint of the rear door just above the rear wheel it ends at the piece of trim I am talking about. Thanks

Old 12-31-2014, 10:46 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 966 Likes on 643 Posts

If you'Re talking about the piece I think you're talking about, then you have to remove the bolts from the inside. You will need to remove the large tan trim piece that goes around the rear side window in the back. I think there are three bolts, or maybe just nuts. Pretty simple job to do, just be careful not to break stuff. I learned that the hard way...

The following users liked this post:
wild driver (12-31-2014)
Old 12-31-2014, 11:06 AM
Overlanding

Yes, that is what I am talking about. On the large tan plastic interior piece...do I just pop out the round plastic plugs? is that what holds it on? Or are they just covers for screws? I don't want to learn the hard way. Thanks.

Old 12-31-2014, 11:11 AM
Baja
Received 718 Likes on 623 Posts

My wife is 99% sure the three nuts holding the exterior trim are 7mm, I said they were 8mm.

I believe one of the tan tabs is a cover for a screw, near the rear pillar. It looks different than the rest, the others just pull out with panel popper tool.

The following users liked this post:
wild driver (12-31-2014)
Old 01-02-2015, 03:47 AM
Received 368 Likes on 344 Posts

Originally Posted by abran
My wife is 99% sure the three nuts holding the exterior trim are 7mm, I said they were 8mm.

I believe one of the tan tabs is a cover for a screw, near the rear pillar. It looks different than the rest, the others just pull out with panel popper tool.
Just smile and agree abran you know what happens and the ensuing tantrums if you disagree with them and it's only 1mm after all.

Old 01-02-2015, 03:51 AM
Baja
Received 718 Likes on 623 Posts

Originally Posted by OffroadFrance
Just smile and agree abran you know what happens and the ensuing tantrums if you disagree with them and it's only 1mm after all.
Funny! 1mm can make a difference

Problem is, she is probably right! That item is her job when we part out a car...