Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Turbocharging a 4.6 V8

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2015, 08:28 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 44 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by Alex_M
I'm going to call Atlantic British and see if their Lynx scanner can change the ignition timing and fuel map. If not then I'm going to have to ship off the ECU to another company somewhere to at least setup a baseline tune, or convert to a Megasquirt/AEM ECU which I'd really like to avoid.

Also, I changed my mind on MAF placement. I'm now thinking post-BOV so that it doesn't read the air that the BOV releases to atmosphpere and so that it reads the correct intake temp post-intercool.
You're undertaking quite a project. You have my full support but don't dismiss the importance of a solidly tuned management system.

What turbos have you sourced? I see mentioning on page 1 a Garrett T6 or T7? Those are Massive turbines, upwards of a 6" inlet. Those things would lag until like 5k RPM before any substantial amount of usable boost would be produced. I'd consider a smaller quicker spooling turbine.

Where are you located? I have a set of older (water & oil cooled) K03 turbos (3" inlets) plucked off my old Audi S4 I would be willing to donate to the cause.

Old 12-14-2015, 08:38 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 971 Likes on 646 Posts

Originally Posted by coors
You're undertaking quite a project. You have my full support but don't dismiss the importance of a solidly tuned management system.

What turbos have you sourced? I see mentioning on page 1 a Garrett T6 or T7? Those are Massive turbines, upwards of a 6" inlet. Those things would lag until like 5k RPM before any substantial amount of usable boost would be produced. I'd consider a smaller quicker spooling turbine.

Where are you located? I have a set of older (water & oil cooled) K03 turbos (3" inlets) plucked off my old Audi S4 I would be willing to donate to the cause.
No doubt, I'd take it somewhere to be tuned but I don't have access to a 4 wheel Dino or even a 2 wheel Dino within a few hours drive. Atleast not that I can find. I might me going to Lincoln tech and if I do I'll have Dino access there, but that will be a while.

Yea, those are definitely too big after more research. I was looking at a set of T28s off of a Nissan GTR, but nothing is set in stone as I haven't ordered anything yet.

I'm in Southwestern Virginia. That should be a big step forward for the project, one less thing I'd have to save for. I'll PM you and we can work something out.

Last edited by Alex_M; 12-14-2015 at 10:51 AM.
Old 12-14-2015, 08:59 AM
Baja
Received 317 Likes on 311 Posts

i wish i knew; there was a single v8 land rover turbo setup for sale on ebay uk two weeks ago, had the pipes, turbo and waste gate. i think it sold for next to nothing too.

Old 12-14-2015, 09:10 AM
Camel Trophy

Damn, that would've been the catch. Shipping would've costed an arm and a leg though. Still, might would've been worth it. Oh well, wind a few lose a few.

Old 12-14-2015, 09:14 AM
Baja
Received 317 Likes on 311 Posts

might be relisted it was only at $150 us when i saw it

Old 12-14-2015, 09:18 AM
Camel Trophy

I'll definitely check, thanks for the lead! Edit: I looked on ebay.co.uk but couldn't find anything. It must be gone.

Coors, I did some research on those KO3 turbos. They seem to be pretty similar specs to the T25 which is a step smaller than the T28. I think they'd work fine and there would be even less lag than there would be with the T28 I was looking at. I shot you a message about them, but I was posting this here for anyone else following the thread.

I wonder if I could just use two factory passenger manifolds turned upside down and make an adapter...
I'd prefer headers, but it's a thought and I've got two of them.

Last edited by Alex_M; 12-14-2015 at 11:10 AM.
Old 12-15-2015, 08:05 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 245 Likes on 230 Posts

Originally Posted by Alex_M

I wonder if I could just use two factory passenger manifolds turned upside down and make an adapter...
I'd prefer headers, but it's a thought and I've got two of them.
That's a genius idea. The drivers side is so tight...

Old 12-15-2015, 11:13 AM
Camel Trophy

Yea, if I tried to use the drivers side manifold it would literally end up inside the valve cover, no way it would work upside down.

I'm also having trouble finding 5lb wastegate for these KO3s I'm getting from coors. I'm going to call up some manufacturers and see if I can find any 5lb internal wastegate. If I can't then I'll have to make block off plates and run external wastegates. We'll see.

Last edited by Alex_M; 12-15-2015 at 11:28 AM.
Old 12-15-2015, 12:38 PM
Camel Trophy

Ok, I just did the math. Right now all the parts together including piping is going to be an estimated $1700, so I'm going to bump that up to an even $2000. That's also with kinda cheap wastegates and a kinda cheap BOV, so those may get upgraded for more quality parts.

Scratch that. I forgot the two wide band O2s with gauges. it's now an estimated $2000 that I'm going to bump to $2300.

Last edited by Alex_M; 12-15-2015 at 12:48 PM.
Old 12-15-2015, 03:16 PM
Camel Trophy

Ok, I called up AB today. That lynx scanner will NOT modify fuel maps. Bummer. Looks like I'll be calling up some companies who have tools that can modify the maps on the Mototronic to see how much that would cost. There's still the Megasquirt/AEM option that is looking more and more likely by the day and both of those will increase the cost quite a bit. Alas, tis but another day in the world of Land Rover ownership and modification.

Quick Reply: Turbocharging a 4.6 V8