Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Turbocharging a 4.6 V8

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2015, 07:35 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 971 Likes on 646 Posts

Ah, really? Books, articles? I'm in college (hence the lack of money) and am debating on pursuing Journalism, though likely not an actual Journalism degree. How do you like it?

Old 08-13-2015, 07:42 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 246 Likes on 231 Posts

Originally Posted by Alex_M
Ah, really? Books, articles? I'm in college (hence the lack of money) and am debating on pursuing Journalism, though likely not an actual Journalism degree. How do you like it?
I run from journalists! They misquote me! Haha. You'd be one of the good ones.

Compared to me in college you are clearly a Carnegie! I used to stuff pizza from the buffet in my backpack to feed myself and roomates... back when that wasn't a felony. I was in college so long ago, we protested APARTHEID.

I'm a lawyer. And I do more writing than most lawyers, not even counting my writing here. I write (not cut and paste... write) about 200 pages a week.

Last edited by Charlie_V; 08-13-2015 at 07:49 PM.
Old 08-13-2015, 10:26 PM
Camel Trophy

Haha, you'd think so, but really I just scrape together every nickel I can from odd jobs and dump them into the rover. And the occasional night of Whisky and Reds.

It also helps that the folks are footing the bill for school, and for that they have no idea how appreciative I am. I'll have to try to show them some day.

Old 08-13-2015, 11:17 PM
Camel Trophy

Haha, you'd think so, but really I just scrape together every nickel I can from odd jobs and dump them into the rover. And the occasional night of Whisky and Reds.

It also helps that the folks are footing the bill for school, and for that they have no idea how appreciative I am. I'll have to try to show them some day.
Well the truth is that I work just enough to support my own Rover habit and put my own kids through college!

I just looked at eBay for snorkels. I have a bug to try the Kiamichi Trail in Oklahoma and Arkansas. Apparently, a snorkel is the only mandatory thing I don't have. You also need a lift, appropriate tires, camping and repair stuff, a CDL, a group and a gun (?!). Lockers are suggested but not required. I'm weighing it.

Snorkels are from 150 bucks... Plus over a hundred shipping. Or 500 plus for ARB. Yeah. I'm not going to do this but I am confident that I can make a snorkel out of black ABS pipe and some fittings and silicon for about 30 dollars that will do the job. I've done so on ATVs and it is the same principle. Just irritating.

Old 08-14-2015, 08:13 AM
Camel Trophy

Well you could always just do what I'm gonna do. Buy some more turbo couplings and pipe and cut a round hole in your fender to pipe it out. I'm gonna run it the same direction as stock for now and I'll use black couplings and paint the pipe black. I just need to make a shroud for the filter.

EDIT: I'm just making an edit to this post so that it doesn't get pulled back to the front page for just one update. I think I found some injectors that will work. They're Bosch 24lb injectors, part number 0280155715.

Last edited by Alex_M; 11-25-2015 at 09:29 PM.
Old 12-11-2015, 11:23 PM
Camel Trophy

Ok, so I've been doing a little more research on this today. Since these trucks are really meant for low end torque then a twin turbo setup is looking like the better option. A single turbo just won't create the low end as well, so I'm looking at twin T3s with specs similar to those used on a Nissan GTR. That's a guess, anyway. I'll probably end up actually calling a turbo manufacturer and seeing what they recommend.

Also, the 12:1 compression is a little tricky with forced induction and it probably wouldn't run on pump gas. That means I'd need to tune it to run on E85 and that might mean I'll have to replace some of the rubber bits in the fuel system. Either that or double stacking head gaskets to lower the compression a hair.

Twin turbos would also make snorkel fitment kinda... funny. Not impossible, it would just have to be a single snorkel that's y'd out to the two turbos and then y'd back in to a single line before the intercooler.

I'm also now thinking I'd place the intercooler in front of the radiator instead of between the frame rails. That way I can still place a winch between the frame rails.

Also, I may have already stated this, but the SAI will have to be deleted and the holes plugged so that there's enough room for the piping and the turbos themselves.

I'm also considering a Megasquirt or AEM computer at this point instead of the SAFC2, or perhaps just buy a scanner that can tune the stock ECU. Not really sure yet, I'm still researching on and off.

Old 12-12-2015, 08:19 AM
Camel Trophy

Ok, so I've been doing a little more research on this today. Since these trucks are really meant for low end torque then a twin turbo setup is looking like the better option. A single turbo just won't create the low end as well, so I'm looking at twin T3s with specs similar to those used on a Nissan GTR. That's a guess, anyway. I'll probably end up actually calling a turbo manufacturer and seeing what they recommend.

Also, the 12:1 compression is a little tricky with forced induction and it probably wouldn't run on pump gas. That means I'd need to tune it to run on E85 and that might mean I'll have to replace some of the rubber bits in the fuel system. Either that or double stacking head gaskets to lower the compression a hair.

Twin turbos would also make snorkel fitment kinda... funny. Not impossible, it would just have to be a single snorkel that's y'd out to the two turbos and then y'd back in to a single line before the intercooler.

I'm also now thinking I'd place the intercooler in front of the radiator instead of between the frame rails. That way I can still place a winch between the frame rails.

Also, I may have already stated this, but the SAI will have to be deleted and the holes plugged so that there's enough room for the piping and the turbos themselves.

I'm also considering a Megasquirt or AEM computer at this point instead of the SAFC2, or perhaps just buy a scanner that can tune the stock ECU. Not really sure yet, I'm still researching on and off.
Subscribing!

Old 12-12-2015, 08:21 AM
Mudding
Received 54 Likes on 34 Posts

Alex, Alex, Alex....Is there anything you won't try to mod on these trucks?

If you are looking for more power might I suggest a Supercharger instead of a turbo. There is this supercharger in the Dallas, Tx area that is supposedly a one of a kind "prototype SVC/Cameron Concepts Supercharger kit for a Disco2" for sale for $800. It looks like it comes with a SplitSecond 9th/10th injector controller and it even works with SAI.... ENJOY

Here's the link.
Land Rover Discovery 2 Supercharger Real

Last edited by R0VERGUY; 12-12-2015 at 08:23 AM.
Old 12-12-2015, 10:23 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 32 Likes on 27 Posts

I think I know where this supercharger came from: Supercharged P38? - Page 4

This thread discusses adding a supercharger to a Rover engine in some detail. Personally, I think using a supercharger on these engines makes more sense than a turbo but my hat is off to anyone willing to take on this project.

Old 12-12-2015, 11:23 AM
Camel Trophy

Nothing at all I won't atleast try! Haha

I considered a supercharger, but the power curve just isn't as good as it is with a turbo. Plus, you simply can't beat that turbo sound in the exhaust. Then there's the problem of heat soak in the supercharger while you can intercooler the turbo.

Quick Reply: Turbocharging a 4.6 V8