Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Turn signal issue...weird...

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2009, 10:53 AM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The problem you are describing is an issue with D2s. What happens is that when it is very cold, lets say below 20F, the wiring inside of the staulk shrinks. This prevents the contacts from touching one another and therefore you do not get a turn signal. However, when the truck warms up, presto, everything goes back to normal. I wouldnt replace the unit because the new one probably will do the same thing....not to mention that they go for around $350.

I would suggest moving to a warmer climate if it really bothers you.

Old 02-23-2009, 12:04 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by starcraft
The problem you are describing is an issue with D2s. What happens is that when it is very cold, lets say below 20F, the wiring inside of the staulk shrinks. This prevents the contacts from touching one another and therefore you do not get a turn signal. However, when the truck warms up, presto, everything goes back to normal. I wouldnt replace the unit because the new one probably will do the same thing....not to mention that they go for around $350.

I would suggest moving to a warmer climate if it really bothers you.

you could also get a remote start to warm your truck up before you drive, if you or someone you know is pretty mechanical these trucks aren't too bad to put a cheap one in.

some of the more expensive units can even wire up to an electronic thermostat that will automatically start the truck for about 10 or 15 minutes once it reaches an internal temp of your choice (like 0 to 10 degrees).

Old 02-23-2009, 11:32 PM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It is not an issue of it having to be really cold. It happened every day in my D2 on the central coast of CA. Outside temp was probably in the mid to high 30's and low 40's. They would start working after the interior warmed up a but more, but the temp did not have to be below freezing. You just gotta replace them. Another example of POS parts in a supposed luxury high end vehicle.

Old 02-24-2009, 12:14 PM
Mudding
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Annie, thanks for bringing this up. I have had the same, exact issue for many months now. All this time I just convinced myself that I am nutz and it is just too early in the morning (usually happens on my way to work) and I am not awake enough.

Enough sycho bable, did someone (in a cold climate) replace the switch and fix this?

Someone mentioned the wires inside the switch being too short and shrinking when cold. I see how this could happen. Has it been confirmed or repaired? I would be more interested in making these wires longer and not spending the $ on a new switch.

I understand this seems to be a common issue with D2's, and have never owned a new Rover. But I have a hard time seeing how anyone would have put up with this from a new vehicle standpoint. Something has simply aged and needs replaced /repaired.