Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Upper Engine Rebuild

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2013, 05:57 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Both heads are on with rocker arms and push rods! yay!

Working on the inlet manifold now..

Anyone have a pic of exactly where the RTV needs to go in the corners at the cylinder heads? The Rave manual isn't very elaborate.. I'm guessing just at the corners right where the heads meet the upper part (the little gap), but the rubber gaskets sit a little proud of the head surface so I am not sure..

Old 06-01-2013, 08:30 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by silar
Both heads are on with rocker arms and push rods! yay!

Working on the inlet manifold now..

Anyone have a pic of exactly where the RTV needs to go in the corners at the cylinder heads? The Rave manual isn't very elaborate.. I'm guessing just at the corners right where the heads meet the upper part (the little gap), but the rubber gaskets sit a little proud of the head surface so I am not sure..
I did a thread last year and took a lot of pictures when I did my rebuild. Here is a link to the page that has some pictures of the RTV you are asking about (scroll down to the second to last post I think). I hope this helps. https://landroverforums.com/forum/di...h-47324/page8/

Old 06-01-2013, 09:10 PM
Three Wheeling

You da man Jared! That's exactly what I was looking for.. Got the intake gasket and lower intake in. I think what was throwing me was the rubber seal at the front and back of the block under the gasket. They were proud of the heads so I wasn't sure whether I should have put some RTV on the heads in those locations also. Didn't realize that the lower intake when torqued would press those flush. I ended up putting a tiny bit of RTV under the rubber seals just for a little assurance.

I also got the lower part of the inline thermostat mod done

Glad you made that thread!

Got accomplished everything I needed to today. Hopefully if it doesn't rain much tomorrow, I may be able to start it up!

Old 06-02-2013, 12:32 PM
Recovery Vehicle

Glad I could help. Let me know if you have any other questions.

Be careful when you press the fuel injectors back into the heads and fuel rail to make sure that they all go all the way in and sit flush (make sure there is no dirt sitting on the rim where the o-rings seal). I think I used a tiny bit of oil on the o-rings to help them go in easy.

Old 06-02-2013, 09:07 PM
Three Wheeling

I used some silicon on the o-rings of the injectors.. worked like a charm.

Got everything together! Overall, I'm praying I don't have to do this again for a while. My back is killing me! I'm a little concerned about the upper part of the inline thermostat mod. When I close the hood the petcock hits the padding on the hood. I'm more afraid with the hood pressing down on it, it'll push the hose into the serpentine belt. I may also tilt it a tiny bit to keep it off the hood..

Sooooo, here is the but...

Still gotta wait till tomorrow to try it out. My Kingsborne wires won't be in till then. I was going to re-use my old wires, but 2 of them were dead.

Between that and my oil separator being completely clogged, no wonder I had a massive stumble when giving it gas. I had just replaced the wires about a year or so ago so assumed they were still good. When I bought them, I got the autozone specials 7mm. No wonder they didn't last.

Old 06-03-2013, 07:49 PM
Three Wheeling

Wires came in, put them in, and started it up. took forever to bleed the air out of the coolant. Exhaust manifold pipes smoked a little due to the fact that I got some cleaner on them when I was going to town cleaning it up. Went away after a few minutes.

I hate to jinx myself, but she runs better than she ever has. Smooth, quiet, and so far, no leaks.

Keeping my fingers crossed nothing happens.. We love our Disco!

Thanks to this forum and everyone on it for all the helpful articles and posts, and the help with questions I had.

Old 06-03-2013, 07:57 PM
Recovery Vehicle

Good job
You did the coolant bleed before starting the truck right? The way you wrote it, it sounded like you started it up then did the bleed. I assume you did it right because you didn't report any over heating. Time to enjoy your Disco.

Old 06-03-2013, 08:21 PM
Three Wheeling

Originally Posted by Jared9220
Good job
You did the coolant bleed before starting the truck right? The way you wrote it, it sounded like you started it up then did the bleed. I assume you did it right because you didn't report any over heating. Time to enjoy your Disco.
I did the coolant bleed after I started it, but before I started it, I filled everything up I could first with coolant. After I started it, I left the cap off while I checked everything, adding a little coolant at a time running with the heater full blast.

How do you do the bleed before?

Old 06-03-2013, 08:54 PM
Three Wheeling

Something else I forgot to mention.. I have a 180 degree thermostat with the inline mod. Was showing approximately 185-190 when I checked running idle after a few minutes or so. I've got a bluetooth OBD2 reader and some software for my laptop. I'm sure I've got a little air in there still, but the heater was running hot so at least I have flow through the heater core.

I found the posts on doing it correctly, so I'll hit that tomorrow to make sure..

I went for another small drive for a few miles to get some gas and so far all is good. Hoping it'll stay that way!

Old 06-04-2013, 05:54 AM
Baja
Received 317 Likes on 311 Posts

good luck

Quick Reply: Upper Engine Rebuild