Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The usual waterfall sound... here's my bleeding procedure...

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2019, 09:54 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 407 Likes on 261 Posts
Default The usual waterfall sound... here's my bleeding procedure...

Just replaced last week every cooling system component aside from the water pump. Still seems to be rockin' just fine. I have the proverbial waterfall noise coming from the dash, so I know there's air in the system that I'm hearing as water and the air bubble rushes through the heater core. I've bled the system twice since the big overhaul day and the waterfall noise has reduced, but is still there. Happens only on acceleration from a complete stop, and even then, not every time, and also, again, it's lessening with every bleed. Question though... How many times do I need to bleed this dam* thing before it goes away? My bleed procedure in complete detail is this...

1. Starting with a stone cold engine, usually first thing in the morning.
2. Unclip coolant expansion tank.
3. Unclip top radiator hose from clips in fan shroud.
4. Open bleed screw.
5. Remove expansion tank cap.
6. Hold expansion tank about 6 inches in the air.
7. Pour coolant mixture into expansion tank.
8. Wait for bubble-free stream to run out.
9. Once it does, replace bleed screw.
10. Refit expansion tank cap.
11. Re-clip expansion tank.
12. Re-clip upper radiator hose.

This is correct, yeah?

Some additional notes... One, this morning when I unscrewed the bleed screw, it made a small air-escaping noise. I know that can sometimes be associated with exhaust gases being pushed into the cooling system via a bad head gasket, but I have zero reason to suspect a bad head gasket. The exhaust is clear, the oil never has water in it, and the coolant level doesn't lower.

I mean, I'm sure there's a ton of air that's introduced into the system by replacing all hoses, the radiator, throttle body heater, back-flushing heater core, etc... But just want to check-in and see if this is on par or it's indicative of a problem. This issue never existed before the overhaul. Though...the heater didn't work either. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Old 05-27-2019, 10:24 PM
Mudding
Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

You need to get the nose of the truck pointed up.....put it on ramps or park it on a hill. Run it up to temp for for 10 mins or so. Shut it off and let it sit overnight. Open the bleeder in the morning and fill thru the bleeder hole. repeat this process to no coolant can be added. Check and see if you are getting HOT air form the heater. If you are you should be good to go.

Old 05-27-2019, 10:29 PM
TReK
Received 503 Likes on 418 Posts

The noise is normal if you have air escaping the highest point in the system.

Add some coolant to replace that air if any will fit through the bleed hole when it is cold.

Old 05-28-2019, 09:06 AM
Received 392 Likes on 305 Posts

Originally Posted by Brandon318
Just replaced last week every cooling system component aside from the water pump. Still seems to be rockin' just fine. I have the proverbial waterfall noise coming from the dash, so I know there's air in the system that I'm hearing as water and the air bubble rushes through the heater core. I've bled the system twice since the big overhaul day and the waterfall noise has reduced, but is still there. Happens only on acceleration from a complete stop, and even then, not every time, and also, again, it's lessening with every bleed. Question though... How many times do I need to bleed this dam* thing before it goes away? My bleed procedure in complete detail is this...

1. Starting with a stone cold engine, usually first thing in the morning.
2. Unclip coolant expansion tank.
3. Unclip top radiator hose from clips in fan shroud.
4. Open bleed screw.
5. Remove expansion tank cap.
6. Hold expansion tank about 6 inches in the air.
7. Pour coolant mixture into expansion tank.
8. Wait for bubble-free stream to run out.
9. Once it does, replace bleed screw.
10. Refit expansion tank cap.
11. Re-clip expansion tank.
12. Re-clip upper radiator hose.

This is correct, yeah?

Some additional notes... One, this morning when I unscrewed the bleed screw, it made a small air-escaping noise. I know that can sometimes be associated with exhaust gases being pushed into the cooling system via a bad head gasket, but I have zero reason to suspect a bad head gasket. The exhaust is clear, the oil never has water in it, and the coolant level doesn't lower.

I mean, I'm sure there's a ton of air that's introduced into the system by replacing all hoses, the radiator, throttle body heater, back-flushing heater core, etc... But just want to check-in and see if this is on par or it's indicative of a problem. This issue never existed before the overhaul. Though...the heater didn't work either. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Yup this works for me every time
just poor the coolant in slowly and in stages 30 second intervals

Old 05-29-2019, 04:21 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 137 Likes on 120 Posts

Raise the front. Park on a hill. Squeeze the hoses.

Old 05-29-2019, 06:39 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 846 Likes on 633 Posts

Originally Posted by shanechevelle
Raise the front. Park on a hill. Squeeze the hoses.
Light some candles and play some Marvin Gaye.

The following users liked this post:
User (05-29-2019)