Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Valley Pan Gasket Advice

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2011, 03:34 PM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Valley Pan Gasket Advice

Hello,

I am doing my valley pan gasket on my '03 Discovery for the first time and I have a few question that I was wondering someone can help me with.

1. Am I supposed to put a gasket maker on the bolt washers that hold down the valley pan? I heard that they can leak antifreeze.

2. There was a trace of gasket maker on the front and back seals of the valley pan. Should I place the gasket maker here as well?

3. I am planing on doing the water pump gasket as well as front engine cover gasket. Anything I should watch out for?

Also what kind of gasket maker do you guys recommend if I need to put any on?

Any input is appreciated.

Thanks!

Attached Thumbnails Valley Pan Gasket Advice-landy-1.jpg   Valley Pan Gasket Advice-landy-2.jpg  
Old 10-02-2011, 03:59 PM
Administrator
Received 100 Likes on 82 Posts

Why are you replacing the valley pan, where and what was it leaking? Did you notice that some of the bolts that hold the manifold were loose, if so all you had to do was tighten them cause they do vibrate loose. Use lock tight on them when reinstalling them along with new sealer in all 4 corners.

Old 10-02-2011, 04:08 PM
Mudding

I am replacing the gasket because you could tell that it was leaking. Especially in the front and back. Also a few bolts that hold down the valley pan were loose.

You mention that I should put a seal on all 4 corners. What 4 corners are you referring to?

What about the gasket maker seal on the bolt washers and the front and back seals?

Thanks Mike.

Old 10-02-2011, 07:42 PM
Super Moderator
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

On water pump, would suggest new pump as well. One on left had just started to wobble and leak. Careful with bolts, make outline on cardboard and poke them in, so you can put back in same hole they came out of, various lengths, can push hole in front cover if not careful.

Also, valve covers are known for coming loose as well.

Attached Thumbnails Valley Pan Gasket Advice-p1030594.jpg   Valley Pan Gasket Advice-p1030596.jpg  
Old 10-03-2011, 06:03 AM
Baja
Received 317 Likes on 311 Posts

you can use your new water pump gasket to make a pattern as to were the bolts go when you remove them, it your replacing the water pump gasket your should replace the pump while your there. Also on the front engine cover gasket you need to drop the oil pans so make sure you have an oilpan gasket, you going to want to pull the front frame support and jack the body up as high as you can get it to aid in removing the oilpan.

Old 10-03-2011, 07:17 PM
Mudding

Originally Posted by drowssap
you can use your new water pump gasket to make a pattern as to were the bolts go when you remove them, it your replacing the water pump gasket your should replace the pump while your there. Also on the front engine cover gasket you need to drop the oil pans so make sure you have an oilpan gasket, you going to want to pull the front frame support and jack the body up as high as you can get it to aid in removing the oilpan.

Thanks for the heads up!

Really appreciate the input!

Boris