Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Valve Cover Gasket Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2015, 06:30 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Valve Cover Gasket Replacement

Does anyone know where I can find a step by step instruction to replace Valve Cover Gasket? I need to replace both the Valve cover and Oil Pan Gasket.

Thanks

Old 02-06-2015, 06:40 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 86 Likes on 73 Posts
Old 02-07-2015, 08:09 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 971 Likes on 646 Posts

Let me see if I can remember the steps off the top of my head.

1:Remove intake

2:Remove vacuum hoses. Don't forget how they go back, colored stickers are helpful.

3:Unhook and move coolant lines/throttle body sensor/purge valve/valve cover breather hoses/whatever else I'm probably forgetting. You'll also need to Unhook the secondary air injection from the sides of the intake manifold and just pull them back so they're off of their bolts.

4:Begin unbolting intake manifold. There are the obvious bolts on top, then there is one down low in the front and one down low in the back. You will also have to unbolting the plate that the coils are mounted to on the back.

5:Now you're ready to pull the upper intake manifold/throttle body out in one piece. You will need a new plenum gasket when you reinstall.

6:Finally, you can now unbolt and yank out your valve covers. It's as simple as that.

While you're in there, be sure to replace your spark plugs, wires, and coils so you don't have to do all this again to get to your coils and plug wires. You'll have to check with the RAVE or someone here will have to tell you how much to torque what because I don't remember off the top of my head.

I don't imagine the oil pan will be too difficult, though I can't say for sure because I've never removed it.

Have your head gaskets ever been done? I mean, you're half way there by this point. It's just a matter of removing the front accessories, lower intake, and heads at that point, then having the heads machined before you reinstall. If it's never been done then I'd do that at the same time.

Last edited by Alex_M; 02-07-2015 at 08:14 AM.
Old 02-07-2015, 10:30 AM
Super Moderator
Received 210 Likes on 194 Posts

For leaks, You might get away with just tightening the valve covers.
More times than not, just need to tighten the easy access lower outside ones

Last edited by dusty1; 02-07-2015 at 10:39 AM.
Old 02-12-2015, 12:49 PM
Rock Crawling

Originally Posted by dusty1
For leaks, You might get away with just tightening the valve covers.
More times than not, just need to tighten the easy access lower outside ones
I already tried that couple of times. I think it's time to replace them. Does not sound too complicated. I will tackle it in few week.

Thanks

Old 02-12-2015, 04:46 PM
Pro Wrench

When I replaced mine the other week, I ran a thin coat of black RTV on both sides of the gasket and let it set for a few minutes before reassembly. I also used some Locktite on the valve cover bolts.

The following users liked this post:
Roont (02-27-2024)
Old 02-12-2015, 05:42 PM
Baja
Received 721 Likes on 626 Posts

^Local mechanic told me to do the thin layer of RTV/The Right Stuff. Most shops don't do it because it takes extra time, but it has worked great for me.

Old 02-12-2015, 08:06 PM
Pro Wrench

THIN is the key word. Nothing more than a skim coat really. When you go to tighten the hold down bolts, you don't want excessive RTV to be squeezed out, or into the internals of the valvetrain.

Old 02-13-2015, 07:05 AM
Baja
Received 317 Likes on 311 Posts

THIN is the key word x2 as thin as gasket cement

Old 04-18-2016, 09:28 PM
Rock Crawling

Folks, this post was from last year. I will update you guys on my Valve cover gasket after one year. It's leaking again.

I think Mistake #1
I used the yellow snot (3M) type Gasket adhesive on the gasket instead of something softer that takes time to shape.

I will have to redo the gasket again but not sure how I am going to remove that yellow stuff from the surface, Bummer!

Quick Reply: Valve Cover Gasket Replacement