Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Vibration @ 40 (accel/decel) AND my rear caliper locked up today..

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2011, 06:28 PM
Winching
Received 41 Likes on 38 Posts
Default Vibration @ 40 (accel/decel) AND my rear caliper locked up today..

Awesome, so I just replaced my rear pads/rotors and the caliper carrier pins on one of them which were seized. The caliper seemed to work fine for 4 days, and I followed the wear marks on the rotor to watch how they bedded in. Coming home from work today some idiot in a giant truck that I couldn't see around slammed on his brakes in traffic forcing me to do the same, no ABS/lockup.. but I think that's what started my issues. I stopped later on and smelled something (I knew instantly hah.. that one with the seized pins) so I guess that caliper wasn't used to "working" anyways over the years.

PISSES ME OFF because I'm getting an LR3 on Friday and was going to put this thing up for sale ASAP, I might get $4500 for it if I'm lucky and I'm about to spend a few hundred on a new caliper?

Gets better though. Over the past few days, I've been getting an odd "gear"ish vibration (not a thumping like a tire balance issue, more of a churning/chatterish vibration like gears or something..) ONLY happens accelerating through 40mph and is gone by 45, ALSO happens when decelerating through 40. I was thinking load was causing it, front driveshaft.. so I shifted into neutral and let it decelerate through 40 and it STILL happened. Without engine braking inducing load on the driveshaft / double cardan I'm surprised that it was EXACTLY the same.

Recent changes: ditched 16"s for RR 19" wheels, changed leaking rear hub and then pads/rotors in back. The vibration occurred before hub/brake job but after the new wheels. Like I said though, it feels too "rigid" for a wheel/tire thing. Yeah yeah, driveshaft. I searched and read a ton of threads however, and this seems different than the usual driveshaft thing. Hard acceleration seems to vibrate LESS, as does driving at high speeds. I recently added some Mobil 1 syn grease to the front u joint but the double cardan didn't have any, unless they were plugs that I couldn't see.

Driveshaft and caliper a week before I put this up for sale = 25% of what I woulda gotten for the vehicle. Lameeeeeeeeeeeee.

Last edited by EstorilM; 10-05-2011 at 06:45 PM.
Old 10-05-2011, 08:24 PM
Super Moderator
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

rebuild shaft your self from tech sticky? Caliper from donor vehicle at boneyard? While a purist may say that's wrong, your new owner would have four working calipers all about the same age... or reman caliper?

Old 10-05-2011, 08:29 PM
Winching
Received 41 Likes on 38 Posts

Yeah I'm going to grab a used one from a local guy tomorrow.. he's asking $150 though. Has an old driveshaft sitting around (from someone who got paranoid) that I'm going to throw on there and see if the vibration goes away.