Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Vibration and Noise - Drive Shaft?

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2011 | 06:25 PM
|
Overlanding
Default Vibration and Noise - Drive Shaft?

I have some vibration in the front end. It does it at all speeds. It also seems like their is a ticking noise under the front end. Sounds like that is where it is coming from anyway. It just started doing this out of the blue. I crawled underneath and looked around and I didn't see anything broken or loose. I did notice that their is a grease nipple on the front u-joint. Any advice on what I should do? Should I shoot some grease in there and see if that helps? Can't seem to find a Land Rover mechanic here in Fargo, ND. Would a normal mechanic that works on drive shafts be able to do it if I brought them the drive shaft and parts. Any help is appreciated.

Old 04-19-2011 | 06:47 PM
Recovery Vehicle

Originally Posted by Rover Nick
I have some vibration in the front end. It does it at all speeds. It also seems like their is a ticking noise under the front end. Sounds like that is where it is coming from anyway. It just started doing this out of the blue. I crawled underneath and looked around and I didn't see anything broken or loose. I did notice that their is a grease nipple on the front u-joint. Any advice on what I should do? Should I shoot some grease in there and see if that helps? Can't seem to find a Land Rover mechanic here in Fargo, ND. Would a normal mechanic that works on drive shafts be able to do it if I brought them the drive shaft and parts. Any help is appreciated.
Yes, any mechanic/trans shop/drive line shop should be able to do that for you. I would be cautious for sure driving it though. When you say you see the greasable nipple, do you see them on both sides of the front drive shaft? If so, it has already been rebuilt. Regardless, take a good look at it and consider towing it to a good shop. Should only be a couple hundred bucks.

Old 04-19-2011 | 06:56 PM
|
Overlanding

Thanks for the response. It is basically like this picture.
Name:  frontds.jpg
Views: 2548
Size:  34.5 KB

Old 04-19-2011 | 08:16 PM
Winching

Originally Posted by Rover Nick
Thanks for the response. It is basically like this picture.
Fantastic...now check for grease nipples on each u-joint (2) in the double cardon (#1 in pic)...if not, STOP DRIVING and re-build drive shaft with greaseable parts immediately.

See the "Write ups" and "How To" section above for this:

Drivetrain
- Propshaft Rebuild - Land Rover Forums - Land Rover Enthusiast Forum
- https://landroverforums.com/forum/di...ld-done-30781/
**DII Front driveshaft rebuild Part #'s U-joints are Precision 344 (3 required) and Centering ball is Precision 617 (1 required)**