Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Washer Fluid Pump: Parts Question

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2018, 04:30 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Washer Fluid Pump: Parts Question

Both my front and rear washer fluid pumps went bad. I have them removed and I am looking to order the parts. I found the pump for the front (non-genuine part) easy enough. HOWEVER, the only rear pump they have is the genuine land rover part and it is $85. The non-genuine part is out of stock everywhere I have looked.

My question is... the front and rear pumps look exactly the same on the surface. Are they the same? If so, can I just use two front pumps instead of ordering a rear pump? Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks everyone.

Old 04-20-2018, 05:13 PM
TReK
Received 652 Likes on 559 Posts

Rear Pump: DMC100540

Did you try Lucky8
> https://www.lucky8llc.com/products/rear-washer-pump-1

and if they're out it looks like GoldCoast has 1
> Land Rover Washer Pump Rear, Disco II - DMC100540

The following users liked this post:
JUKE179r (04-20-2018)
Old 04-20-2018, 06:25 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 846 Likes on 633 Posts

Originally Posted by Disco_Dion17
My question is... the front and rear pumps look exactly the same on the surface. Are they the same? If so, can I just use two front pumps instead of ordering a rear pump? Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks everyone.
I think they are the same pump but different electrical connectors. you can try swapping the connectors to see if they will connect and work.

Originally Posted by OverRover
Rear Pump: DMC100540

Did you try Lucky8
> https://www.lucky8llc.com/products/rear-washer-pump-1

and if they're out it looks like GoldCoast has 1
> Land Rover Washer Pump Rear, Disco II - DMC100540
I’m very sure that pump is just for the 03 & 04 D2 and Freelander.
I’m having the same problem trying to find the pump for the rear also for my 01 D2.

Last edited by JUKE179r; 04-20-2018 at 06:33 PM.
Old 04-20-2018, 06:38 PM
Three Wheeling

Originally Posted by JUKE179r
I think they are the same pump but different electrical connectors. you can try swapping the connectors to see if they will connect and work.

I’m very sure that pump is just for the 03 & 04 D2 and Freelander.
I’m having the same problem trying to find the pump for the rear also for my 01 D2.

The site says that it fits the 98 - 04 Disco II

Old 04-20-2018, 08:06 PM
Camel Trophy

Drain you washer fluid and pull out the washer pumps to inspect them.
You’ll then see what I mean that there are different style washer pumps for the 99-02 D2 and 03-04 D2.
Some parts stores label those washer pumps to work on all D2 years but they won’t fit 99-02.

Old 05-03-2018, 11:19 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 235 Likes on 172 Posts

I need to do this job. Can you take pics of what you are doing, please?

Old 05-04-2018, 08:40 AM
Three Wheeling

Originally Posted by No Doubt
I need to do this job. Can you take pics of what you are doing, please?
I didn't take any pics of the job, but I can describe it to you. It is extremely simple!

Your two washer pumps should be located on the wheel-well side of your washer fluid tank. The tank is located in front of the front drivers-side tire. With mine I was able to easily access the tank because I have no front bumper, but you should be able to get to it fairly easily. Once you've located the pumps, you will have to disconnect the wire harness and output hose. After disconnecting, I would recommend testing the harness/wires with a test light to make sure the pump is the problem and not the power source. To remove the pumps, simply grab the top of the pump and pull back and down. The pumps are held in place by small ridges and a rubber gasket so they come out rather easily. Make sure to save the gaskets if they are still in good shape, just in case the new ones do not come with one (mine did but better safe than sorry).

For the new pumps, start by spraying out the wire harness with some connector cleaner (always a good habit with any electrical work!) and connect them to the new pumps (rear on mine was a red plug). Next, insert the rubber gaskets back into their holes. Make sure to push the gaskets in until the prominent ridge on them meets the tank. Then, lubricate outside of the intake on the pump so that it can easily slide into the rubber gasket (you can also lube the inside of the gasket... WD-40 or Seafoam Deep Creep work well). To insert the pumps, start with the pump tilted back so that the bottom inserts first, then tilt the pump forward while also pushing in to seat it in place. The pump should be seated straight up and down.

Next, you will want to check and make sure there are no leaks. Simply pour some water in and check for dripping (let it sit for a few minutes to be sure no leaks develope). If there are no leaks then you should be able to fill up the tank with fluid. Next you'll have to prime the pumps. Notice I have not said to reattach the output hose yet. Without the hose attached, turn the ignition to position 2 and run the pumps. It will take a second for the water to come out strong, but you will notice when it does. After that, attach the hoses and run the pumps again. Give them a minute to get the fluid to the sprayers (especially the rear).

Additional Tip: the front and rear pumps are identical. The only difference is the red cap. I used two front pumps on mine and they work great.

Hope this helps!!

The following users liked this post:
No Doubt (05-04-2018)
Old 05-04-2018, 12:45 PM
Camel Trophy

Where did you buy your washer pumps from? Do you have a link?
Thanks.

Last edited by JUKE179r; 05-04-2018 at 12:57 PM.