Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Water pump or more?

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2013, 06:27 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Spike555
But if the whole exhaust does not get hot, and I mean to hot to touch, it will never get rid of the water.
Warming up the engine and driving around the block wont do it.
Guess I'm just paranoid. I did drive it again for about 15 more minutes and the smoke didn't come back at idle before I shut it off after a minute. Thanks, just seeing all these head gasket threads I guess made me nervous. The squeeling sound however, now just seems to be the belt tensioner. The fan didn't seem to wobble when I shook it either. Gonna do some more checking tomorrow to make sure it is definitely the water pump leaking.

Old 01-01-2013, 07:34 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

There is tons of info on here that is meant to scare the crap out of you, most of it you can ignore.
Best way to tell if it is the water pump is to remove the belt and then wiggle it, the belt will hold it in place and not let it move.
It very well could be that coolant is getting onto the belt and causing it to slip, thus the squeal.
When water pump bearings go bad they usually squeak like a bad bearing, not always but usually.
Do not drive it to long with a failing water pump, if the bearings fail completely it can come apart and send the fan into the radiator.
Rinse the front of the engine with clean water, run the engine and look for the leak, it will be easier to see with no old coolant to look at.
It sounds to me like a bad water pump though.

Old 01-01-2013, 10:49 PM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by MC04DII
I just checked with an inspection mirror but couldn't find the weep hole. The pump itself is wet though, and everything above the pump is dry. Also, my viscous fan seems newer. I can spin it as hard as I can and it only moves a quarter turn. Does the fan need to be removed to get out the water pump? I changed a water pump on a 96 yukon and the that was the biggest pain of the whole job.
The weep hole is about the 8:00 position (looking at the front of the pump). Ours leaked at the weep hole and made the pump wet.

The fan should be removed for the water pump. The hardest part for us was the old gasket. Took forever to remove the old gasket from the timing cover. The funny thing was a tiny part of the gasket came off with the pump and a majority of the gasket remained on the timing cover.

Sounds as if someone may have already replaced the viscous fan.

2003 Discovery 132K with high miles service complete.