Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Water Pump Swap, Post Op question

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2013, 01:11 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Water Pump Swap, Post Op question

So I dug in on the 4th to wage war on the British Land Rover and did my power steering pump and water pump.

I peered in the old pump and a plastic tube was jammed in it, I thought it was a directional or flow tube? I pushed on it slightly and it slid back into the impeller area and I got the idea this was not supposed to be there. It wasnt on the new pump either... What the hell was that thing?

When I took out both they looked well like this btw. One rusted a** impeller. BP of utah never mentioned a bronze impeller when I bought from them so I guess Im stuck with the reg.

Name:  2013-07-04_165450_zps65424349.jpg
Views: 2438
Size:  48.1 KB

Old 07-05-2013, 02:21 PM
Super Moderator
Received 83 Likes on 80 Posts

Piece of plastic tubing is still afloat in the cooling system? It will find a new place to lodge and cause problems. Consider yourself lucky if it makes it thru to the radiator tank.

Attached Thumbnails Water Pump Swap, Post Op question-rover_rad_2.jpg   Water Pump Swap, Post Op question-2006_block_casting.jpg  

Last edited by Savannah Buzz; 07-05-2013 at 02:32 PM.
Old 07-05-2013, 02:27 PM
Administrator
Received 103 Likes on 85 Posts

This is the pump you should have installed.

Attached Thumbnails Water Pump Swap, Post Op question-land_range_rover_classic_discovery_defender_oem_water_pump_h.jpg  
Old 07-05-2013, 03:11 PM
Three Wheeling

Originally Posted by Disco Mike
This is the pump you should have installed.
lol which would be the bronze impeller I mentioned above. Was unaware there was any aftermarket improvement in the impeller. BP utah never mentioned it when I ordered, da*n it all.... How much life is on this new OEM one. Honestly looks like its been on my truck for the whole 157k but I have no idea.

The plastic tube is jammed in the old waterpump, which is now in the trash so its dealt with. It was a full on plastic tube, complete, didnt even look damaged. Like a spacer for the rad tubes or some fluid direction for the stock water pump inlet?

Anyone ever see that before??? It was bizarre, I do water pumps all the time and that was a first...

Old 07-05-2013, 03:13 PM
Three Wheeling

Originally Posted by Savannah Buzz
Piece of plastic tubing is still afloat in the cooling system? It will find a new place to lodge and cause problems. Consider yourself lucky if it makes it thru to the radiator tank.
Are you saying that is a piece of the radiator, dislodged, and jammed in the water pump inlet? From those pics it seems that is exactly what you are suggesting.... wow

anyone know of any performance all metal rads that will fit the disco 2?