Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What Bolt is this?

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2011, 03:59 PM
Mudding
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

2 MPG? that's pretty impressive... I was actually wondering where the globs of RTV go, but I will look at the gasket kit. I presume either british pacific, or rovers north are the way to go? Could you actually hear a difference in how the motor ran as well? also, did you take your spark plugs out to get the gears aligned, or just leave them in and crank on the crank shaft bolt?

Old 12-03-2011, 04:14 PM
Mudding

Also, are you guys usually replacing both gears and the timing chain, or just the chain?

Old 12-03-2011, 05:39 PM
TReK
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

actually that bolt comes loose because the oring gets hard as a rock and leaks like a sieve. We just take it down and put an new oring and some pipe sealant. never leaks again.

Old 12-11-2011, 07:14 PM
Mudding

In looking at this more with the bottom plastic cover off, I can't tell if it's coming from the front crankseal, or potentially the steering box.... since I have had the plastic cover off for a couple weeks, it hasn't leaked a drop, but it has a fair amount of dirt and fairl fresh oil coating the oil sump pan, all the way back..

Old 12-13-2011, 10:04 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 137 Likes on 120 Posts

On an 02 The top gears points down and the bottom gear points up. Just line them up. There is a key way on the crank so the gear can only go on the way it is. It also just comes right off with your hand. No tool needed.

I didnt take any plugs out, I just turned the engine by the bolt, and then used my air gun to pull the bolt back out.

I used factory parts...bought at our local LR dealer. Wasnt too bad and the help they give you in person, advice, is worth more then waiting on parts in the mail...

Old 12-13-2011, 10:05 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 137 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by 04BluDisco
Also, are you guys usually replacing both gears and the timing chain, or just the chain?
I replaced both gears and the chain.

GET AN OIL PUMP KIT.

on the inside of the cover there are some large head screws (#3 I think) that hold the oil pump into the cover. Take those screws off and check your pump...most likley it will be cracked which limits the amount of oil flow...

There are a few pics here of a cracked oil pump...look around you will find them...

Last edited by shanechevelle; 12-13-2011 at 10:10 AM. Reason: add
Old 12-20-2011, 09:46 AM
Mudding

I have used Miami Rovers Ebay store on a few items with good luck... given Disco Mike'e comments about using OE parts, I went to their site and looked at the manufacturer... Says "All PArts" England. Anyone used them before?

LAND ROVER TIMING CHAIN SET SET KIT DISCOVERY II 2 RANGE P38 00-02 MR0015 ALLM | eBay

Old 12-20-2011, 10:37 AM
Winching
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have used Miami Rovers Ebay store on a few items with good luck... given Disco Mike'e comments about using OE parts, I went to their site and looked at the manufacturer... Says "All PArts" England. Anyone used them before?

LAND ROVER TIMING CHAIN SET SET KIT DISCOVERY II 2 RANGE P38 00-02 MR0015 ALLM | eBay
It's not All Parts it's All Makes. They are not OEM they are aftermarket. In terms of quality most of their parts are ok.

Old 07-08-2022, 04:28 PM
Overlanding
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I took off the engine shroud below the engine so I could more easily see the suspected from crankseal lead, and I notice a large bolk right next to the oil filter housing that wasn't completely seated. I attached a pict. Does anyone know what it does, and if it should be seated, what Torque?

(as you can see from the pict, the motor is getting a good leak up front there, so I am planning on fixing the front crank seal, water pump, oil pump. Possibly the timing chain too, but not sure on that one... any thoughts on that?) Also, in looking at it, it appears the front of the timing cover actually mates to the oil pan... any issues with causing more leaks by pulling the timing cover off?

Thanks!
did you figure out what bolt that was ?

I would say this is the same bolt on my 2004 and it appears to be leaking .

Old 07-08-2022, 06:31 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 1,408 Likes on 1,007 Posts

Oil cooler port block off bolt.

The following users liked this post:
Andy23 (07-08-2022)

Quick Reply: What Bolt is this?