Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What did you do with your DII today?

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2014, 09:24 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Double din mod

Originally Posted by Robert Booth
Agreed. I decided to try for as close to a "factory" look that I could for the very same reason that I didn't like the look of the flip up head units.

Give the pioneer nex series a try and see what you think. The dash kit from a Mazda
Tribune fits width wise in the OEM Dash, so it wasn't a crazy endevour of doing any custom fab with fibre glass.

Robert your setup looks awesome. I also would prefer to do the same as you but was told it wouldn't fit blah blah... Would you be willing to PM me a step by step on how to do this... I can't tell where you made the cuts etc etc.. And would love to have this mod in my truck...thanks

Old 11-21-2014, 07:28 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 83 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by 04DiscoMike
Robert your setup looks awesome. I also would prefer to do the same as you but was told it wouldn't fit blah blah... Would you be willing to PM me a step by step on how to do this... I can't tell where you made the cuts etc etc.. And would love to have this mod in my truck...thanks
No problem. I can send you the instructions that I followed online.
There are two main parts to the job, 1 expand the 1 1/2 existing din dash by cutting with a dremmel tool and making the hole bigger, 2 installing the double din enclosure that you'll fit the new head unit into.

Old 11-22-2014, 05:07 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 115 Likes on 89 Posts
Default so simple it was stupid

Finally changed out my DII wiper arms for the DI set-up. It only took me 4+ months to gain the motivation (which is very embarrassing) but I think I was overthinking/reading things. Sadly so.

I read up thru the threads and posts and read that you needed a smaller nut, that the caps wouldn't fit back on, that the wiper blades sat higher on the windscreen, yada yada yada and I found none of that to be true. I'm happy to report that they are now on and my next project on the list will be my driver side window that doesn't want to budge. Have a Happy Thanksgiving all!

Old 11-23-2014, 05:21 AM
Mudding
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by KernowDiscovery
Finally changed out my DII wiper arms for the DI set-up. It only took me 4+ months to gain the motivation (which is very embarrassing) but I think I was overthinking/reading things. Sadly so.

I read up thru the threads and posts and read that you needed a smaller nut, that the caps wouldn't fit back on, that the wiper blades sat higher on the windscreen, yada yada yada and I found none of that to be true. I'm happy to report that they are now on and my next project on the list will be my driver side window that doesn't want to budge. Have a Happy Thanksgiving all!
I've done both of these on my Disco. The window issue (depending what the problem is) will be substantially more work than the wiper arms. But, it shouldn't be any more difficult: Rave manual has a nice set of step-by-step instructions for disassembly, and just take your time.

The following users liked this post:
KernowDiscovery (11-26-2014)
Old 11-23-2014, 09:32 AM
Drifting

Originally Posted by Daedrix
I swerved to avoid someone who slammed on there brakes because it started rain really hard (drivers in florida tend to freak out when it starts to rain) and ended up hydroplaning. My rear end swang around till I was facing oncoming traffic still moving forward. Rear end hit the guard rail and I ended up on my side. All and all when all was said and done it still ran and drove (sorta) but insurance totaled it. Two weeks later I picked up the black one.
Man, that's crazy! Glad you are ok!

Old 11-23-2014, 04:29 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 84 Likes on 73 Posts

I have had an external coolant seep on the rear of the passenger head for over a year now. Within the past month, I have also developed a slow coolant leak from the timing cover (which I think happened when I changed the water pump last month, trying to knock the water pump loose after removing all the bolts).
My garage is still full of stuff from my ex-wife moving back in (long story) and I hate working in the driveway in the rain and snow and cold.

So, today, I added a bottle of K-seal to hopefully stop or slow the leaks until spring when I can change all the gaskets in the garage and out of the elements. Backing out of the driveway to drive for 30 minutes to let the K-seal get in the system, I heard a "ding-ding-ding" and saw my dash showing TWO amigos. ABS and TC. Crap. The whole drive I was trying to guess whether I had a hub going out, or if the SLABS ECU borrowed from my friend had developed the same failure as my old one. Now is not a good time to be spending $ on the Autel 619 scanner to check for codes.
Got home and popped the hood. Realised the left front ABS sensor plug is directly under the master cylinder (which is leaking from the reservoir seals (kit on order from Rover's North)). I unplugged the sensor, and didn't see any fluid inside, but cleaned anyway and reconnected. Restarted the Disco, and had only the ABS light. Backed out of the driveway again and started up the street. Light extinguished within 20 feet.

Yay for easy repairs!!!

Old 11-23-2014, 09:06 PM
Super Moderator
Received 1,512 Likes on 1,239 Posts

Originally Posted by Robert Booth
No problem. I can send you the instructions that I followed online.
There are two main parts to the job, 1 expand the 1 1/2 existing din dash by cutting with a dremmel tool and making the hole bigger, 2 installing the double din enclosure that you'll fit the new head unit into.
Robert could you send them to me as well, I appreciate it.

Old 11-24-2014, 02:04 AM
Three Wheeling

Today my speedometer started working again, and then my DII threw its first SES light at me... I put it through 40+ miles of OHV trails before driving it on the street, and it performed very, very well.. and it then it throws a code before its first fill up. Need to buy or borrow a scanner to see what the issue is.

... So this is what it feels like to own a Rover...

Old 11-24-2014, 10:00 AM
4wd Low
Default 1" Todco Lift

Today I installed 1" lift on the rear, redid the rear brakes, and put 5/16 spacers on the front end of a 2003 LR Discovery.

Old 11-25-2014, 10:30 PM
Drifting

I installed new rotors and pads all the way around. Took the ole girl out for a spin and now I'm writing this, so clearly I must've done something right as I did not die on the test drive!

Quick Reply: What did you do with your DII today?