Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What did you do with your DII today?

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2020, 12:51 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 1,177 Likes on 814 Posts

Wonder if the shop did not get the bolts torqued right, that sounds like the heads were not correctly torqued to me

Old 03-28-2020, 02:30 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 1,275 Likes on 896 Posts

Originally Posted by RossN99
So my project truck that has been a nightmare since the day I bought it has continued to test my patience. I wasn’t even going to buy the thing but I let my dad convince me it’d be a nice purchase since it was an HSE7 and what’s the worst that could happen. Well 10 months later I still have it in pieces and it’s still not right. So I had the engine rebuilt and I finally got it back from the shop and installed it but unfortunately my excitement about getting my truck running again was short lived. First the oil pressure switch had failed so it appeared I had low oil pressure which luckily I did not. Then when I finally installed all of the cooling system and ran the truck for a little bit to bed in the cam I noticed I was hemorrhaging water midway on the block on both sides which I thought was really weird and then I checked my oil fill cap and guess what it’s milky. So first I think my machine shop somehow messed up installing my freeze plugs as I’m not sure how else water could be coming from mid block and second I can’t decide if I somehow messed up installing my headgaskets or if it’s the Lucas break in additive I added that’s left this yellow foam on the cap as the oil still looks clear elsewhere. This is probably my 5th time doing head gaskets on a rover V8 and this block had no issues with overheating/water loss prior so I’m a little dumbfounded.
Weird that you would have coolant leaking mid-block, since coolant passages are located at rear and front of head...if coming from head gasket. I'd check freeze plugs, but they produce a coolant leak eternally, not internally...so, that would not explain the milky oil. Was that oil filler tube clean to begin with? Since, they do get kind of milky looking just from condensation burn off. Pull the dipstick and check oil quality there...or let it sit for a whilw and drain some from pan. If anti-freeze is present, it will come out first...since it is heavier than oil. If you have collant in the oil, my first guess would be front cover gasket is messed up or you didn't use sealant on the three bolts that go through the water pump/front cover. Coolant would leak internally there, head gasket not so much. Usually a head gasket will leak externally or into the cylinder (#1,#2,#7,#8) and just exit through the exhaust while running...unless...it's a whooper of a head gadket leak...but normally...you'd have all kinds of misfire codes if that were the case and a very poorly running engine.

lf engine runs smooth, l'd start by checking for anti freeze leak at throttle body heater or heater hose on passengers side.

Brian.

Old 03-28-2020, 09:51 AM
Mudding
Received 25 Likes on 12 Posts

Unfortunately it’s most definitely the freeze plugs. Which I’ve gone ahead and taken off some stuff to get a better view at. The oil in my dipstick was crystal clear and there was no steam out the exhaust which is making me think the headgasket is fine but maybe there was just some moisture already in the system that’s collected in the cap. I even pulled the valve covers off to get a view and they didn’t have any of the yellow foam in them and honestly the cap may not have been clean before who knows. It’s just disappointing about the freeze plugs because my shop normal does much better work.

The following 2 users liked this post by RossN99:
Richard Gallant (03-28-2020), The Deputy (03-28-2020)
Old 03-28-2020, 10:04 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 46 Likes on 28 Posts

[QUOTE=Motoprophet;723317]Replaced the head gaskets on my newly acquired ‘04. I ordered headliner material so that will be in the near future. BTW my flywheel bolts for my LR3 came in today, finally![/QUOTE

You probably know, but always good to check for any leaks in the sunroofs while the headliner is down. I wish I had done this!

The following users liked this post:
Motoprophet (03-30-2020)
Old 03-28-2020, 10:52 AM
TReK
Received 483 Likes on 406 Posts

Did they put any sealant on the freeze plugs?
They are supposed to.

Old 03-28-2020, 11:14 AM
Mudding

Originally Posted by Sixpack577
Did they put any sealant on the freeze plugs?
They are supposed to.
Doesn’t appear to have any. He’s a fan of using this sealant that’s brown and I think if he’d used any it would have been obvious.

Old 03-28-2020, 11:16 AM
TReK
Received 483 Likes on 406 Posts

Originally Posted by RossN99
Doesn’t appear to have any. He’s a fan of using this sealant that’s brown and I think if he’d used any it would have been obvious.
That sucks, no wonder they're leaking.
The shop would be hearing from me.

Old 03-28-2020, 12:10 PM
Mudding

Originally Posted by Sixpack577
That sucks, no wonder they're leaking.
The shop would be hearing from me.
oh he will be but he’s closed until Monday.

Old 03-28-2020, 01:38 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 1,275 Likes on 896 Posts

At least it is the least serious of problems, pain yes, but the engine doesn't need to come a part. Plus, it is something they can redo at the shop...their mistake, their repair.

Last edited by The Deputy; 03-28-2020 at 01:40 PM.
Old 03-28-2020, 04:44 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 46 Likes on 28 Posts
Default Made my own Airbox Fabric Flex Hose

Today, I decided to try and make my own flex hose that connects to the air box and save about $50. I put the write up where I thought it belonged:

https://landroverforums.com/forum/di...e3/#post723799

Thanks!

Quick Reply: What did you do with your DII today?