Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What do I need to fix here - Water Pump?

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2019, 01:13 PM
Mudding
Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
Default What do I need to fix here - Water Pump?

I have a 2001 Disco II. No ACE. ~70k miles. Excellent condition. After the extremely wet NY winter passes, I will be doing a number of jobs myself on it, mainly following a combination of @Disco Mike 60k suggested service and AB's schedule maintenance sheet/kits. However, right now I brought it to a shop to do an oil change near my home (they used a Quaker state filter... next time I do it myself) and when the guy put it on the lift, we noticed some red (probably coolant) stains. I think it came from the water pump... But when I run the car in my driveway, regardless of time, there are zero drips from the vehicle. And so, it's hard to tell where the problem might be. Here are pics I took from under, including sliding my phone above the pan that was blocking my view. What do you recommend? Thanks

Old 02-13-2019, 01:58 PM
Received 1,131 Likes on 781 Posts

That is an awful bright red for rust, it looks more like you picked something up off the road. Do you use a bright red Anit-freeze ?

Old 02-13-2019, 02:50 PM
Mudding

No. The guy that was working on my oil change said he thinks it was coolant from the water pump area, not rust.

Old 02-13-2019, 03:11 PM
TReK
Received 503 Likes on 418 Posts

What color is the coolant in your overflow tank?

Old 02-13-2019, 03:50 PM
Mudding

It's looks orange/reddish

Old 02-14-2019, 02:29 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 1,160 Likes on 836 Posts

Boy, that's pretty clean under neath, rust wise, for a rover that has lived its life in NY state. Looks like the water pump is leaking. Look down from the top, between alternator and a/c compressor (upper-passenger side) and you will probably see the same redish fluid stains coming from the weep hole on the pump.

The hardest part of the water pump job is getting the fan off, but usually a couple good whacks with a long punch, on the lobe of the nut in the right direction breaks it loose, righty tighty - lefty loosey. Then the rest is duck soup. There are three long bolts, 11mm heads, that go into the block...the rest are 10mm heads and just bolt to front cover. Get yourself a wire-wheel attachment for a cordless drill...makes cleaning the gasket off a breeze. Use Prematex gray ultra on the gasket, both side.

When refilling, refill through the T above the radiator, first the long hose that goes to the rad, then through the T to the upper intake and thermostat. Reassemble hoses and finish filling through reservior. Run to temp, let it cool down and check fluid, usually have to top off a little more coolant, run again and recheck.

​​​​​​​ Brian.

Last edited by The Deputy; 02-14-2019 at 02:31 AM.
Old 02-14-2019, 07:52 AM
Mudding

Am I looking in the right place? I am not seeing any stain or drip with that color. Perhaps this is the very early stage of water pump needing a change?

Here is the color of the coolant.

Old 02-14-2019, 08:59 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 846 Likes on 633 Posts

I've been told by TD5 owners that the orange DexCool coolant turns pinkish when mixed with water.
Then it turns reddish at an area showing signs of a coolant leak.

Last edited by JUKE179r; 02-14-2019 at 09:02 AM.
Old 02-14-2019, 09:21 AM
Super Moderator
Received 2,237 Likes on 1,660 Posts

I’d personally tighten the 3 long bolts on the waterpump (bolts that go thru the timing cover & into the block/water jacket). Leak seems pretty small, top off the coolant (it’s low), and then keep an eye on it. Then if it leaks again replace the water pump.

Old 02-14-2019, 01:57 PM
Mudding

If you can point me into the direction of three bolts that would be great.

If I were to run to AutoZone right now, what coolant would you recommend I use to top off?

P.S.

Why do I see different posts on here where some say only use the orange, and others say flush it and go to green?

Quick Reply: What do I need to fix here - Water Pump?