Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Whats next for the D1, and D2

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2018, 08:32 PM
Drifting
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Whats next for the D1, and D2

I am 17 years old and I drive a 99 D2. I live in Utah. I see other Disco driver's on and off the roads who are almost shocked to see a kid driving a disco. After being on the forums and following posts, meetups and rover groups I have noticed typically I am by far the youngest person there. It is no doubt that the cult-like following that has been garnered around the Disco's and the community around them is great. However, like the cars, the members are seemingly getting older (Sorry tried to make this nice kinda maybe?). I was just wondering what is going to happen to the "Disco Culture" without kids to follow up on it. I know that there are other kids who drive Discos but seemingly, are not apart of the community. I was wondering what is going to happen with this culture that has been built over so many years as the new generation starts to drive Discos. Will there still be this almost sense of family around meeting up with other owners and talking about adventures and what broke this month or will that almost fizzle out? I don't want to make it seem like you guys are just going to disappear but eventually, the newer generation is going to need to fill in the gaps left by everyone who moved on and I am slightly concerned that it will not happen. I would hate to see such a great community almost kinda go away so I was wondering what yall thought about the future of Discos and the Disco culture and community?

Old 04-17-2018, 02:54 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 1,167 Likes on 842 Posts

In general, l'm not sure what's going to become of the "car culture" in the future. Basically, the old adage..."time will tell"...may be the only true answer. The younger generation mindset seems to be shifting away from the use of automobile as transportation or recreational uses.

As far as the Dl and Dll go...l assume eventually there numbers and owners will dwindle down to a core unit of enthusiasts. Kind of like what has happen to the FJ40/55/60 series, Willeys, 60/70's Jeep, 60's Bronco, etc. More will become all show and no go, as time and investment encompass their worth. Sure, there will be those rare cases, where someone drives them for what they were intended...but again...these will probably be "throw-backs" from a generation gone by.

I've watched the same decline in participation in the hunting world. Just less and less younger folks growing up with that desire. For some time now, my mind has been in denial about the future of both, hunting and the automobile, but now...l'm beginning to think l'll live long enough to see both disappear from the landscape.

I've tried to encourage a love for the automobiles/out of doors in both my boys, but neither adhered. Now, my concentration is being spent on my grandson (10) and only "time will tell" what direction life takes him.

Basically, you and your generation are about to be handed the torch. However, older generation can't force a love for the Discovery upon anyone. So, you have to go out and find "like-minded" folks that brew the same passion as yourself and make the best of the situation. Will it last forever, probably not...but if l've learned one thing during my time here...it is...do what you enjoy and enjoy those that you hangout with...because it all goes by to quickly.

Brian.

Old 04-17-2018, 05:11 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 294 Likes on 183 Posts

I’m fostering a rover love with my kids. So far they love it. They only want to ride in my discovery, not moms navigator. Lol

perhaps im brainwashing them just a little. 😈

Old 04-17-2018, 08:33 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 943 Likes on 634 Posts

Hi Jake! The fact is, most parents don't want to buy their 17 year old a "notoriously unreliable" (I agree on the noteriety, I disagree on the unteliability when properly maintained), top heavy, gas guzzling beast. That said, there are a few.

I was like you! I got my Disco when I was 17. I'm 22 now and still have it, so we're out there. My girlfriend of 20 also just bought herself one and I know a couple more 20-somethings who own them. There are definitely a higher percentage of guys with more life under their belt, but that's just statistically how it works out. They're more settled, have steadier jobs, and by and large can afford more "toys". That, plus the fact that there are simply more people on the planet aged 25+ than there are 16-24.

Don't worry. The community won't die. It will change over time as all things do, but it'll stick around.

Old 04-17-2018, 08:56 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 154 Likes on 112 Posts

I have used the Discos as a way to teach my girls mechanical maintenance and responsibility. They love their discos and get alot of attention from them because seeing teenage girls crawling around mountain trails in discos is rare.

In my day all the kids built drag race cars and we learned alot. Most kids today, even the boys, can't change a tire. Like a previous poster talked about, I grew up hunting and wrenching with my dad so I do those things with my kids. Of course back then most kids had dads or at least saw them regularly.

Nothing makes me prouder than to go into the shop on saturday and see my girl underneath her disco greasing the drive shaft.

The following users liked this post:
No Doubt (04-17-2018)
Old 04-17-2018, 05:01 PM
Winching
Received 54 Likes on 52 Posts

Good thread, makes me feel my years a tad. I've got a 2000 D2 that runs, mostly, but ain't too easy on the eyes. Lots of dings, scratches and missing paint or parts- you get the picture. Had the truck about 4 years now, got it just after my daughter was born. She's grown up with the truck. We used to have another car, newer and nicer. Turns out both of us like the truck better. When she was younger, shed stand on the driver's seat and pretend to drive. There were times she wanted to go out and just go play in the truck. Her carseat is in the middle of the back seat, so she can see out better. Honestly, not sure which one of us likes the truck more. She's helped me clean the truck and sometimes I'll show her stuff I've worked on or am working on. Heck, she even started asking me how the truck works. Lots of years til she grows up enough to drive, but I hope she gets the chance to drive truckie. Something makes me think she will.

Old 04-17-2018, 06:05 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 87 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by jamestfl
Good thread, makes me feel my years a tad. I've got a 2000 D2 that runs, mostly, but ain't too easy on the eyes. Lots of dings, scratches and missing paint or parts- you get the picture. Had the truck about 4 years now, got it just after my daughter was born. She's grown up with the truck. We used to have another car, newer and nicer. Turns out both of us like the truck better. When she was younger, shed stand on the driver's seat and pretend to drive. There were times she wanted to go out and just go play in the truck. Her carseat is in the middle of the back seat, so she can see out better. Honestly, not sure which one of us likes the truck more. She's helped me clean the truck and sometimes I'll show her stuff I've worked on or am working on. Heck, she even started asking me how the truck works. Lots of years til she grows up enough to drive, but I hope she gets the chance to drive truckie. Something makes me think she will.
I live this....I have a 3 year old girl who loves the rover. I too have the kid seat in the middle rear. We call it "White". I get nervous when she jumps up into the front seats over the console while her shoes bang on switches and crap, I get a little anxiety but nothing breaks!! lol

Old 04-18-2018, 01:21 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 46 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by Alex_M
Hi Jake! The fact is, most parents don't want to buy their 17 year old a "notoriously unreliable" (I agree on the noteriety, I disagree on the unteliability when properly maintained), top heavy, gas guzzling beast. That said, there are a few.

I was like you! I got my Disco when I was 17. I'm 22 now and still have it, so we're out there. My girlfriend of 20 also just bought herself one and I know a couple more 20-somethings who own them. There are definitely a higher percentage of guys with more life under their belt, but that's just statistically how it works out. They're more settled, have steadier jobs, and by and large can afford more "toys". That, plus the fact that there are simply more people on the planet aged 25+ than there are 16-24.

Don't worry. The community won't die. It will change over time as all things do, but it'll stick around.
Well said. I was fifteen when I got my first disco. I'm on my 3rd one. So yeah, there are still some young rover enthusiasts.