Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

wheel sensors and hub spline alignment

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2011, 03:24 PM
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy wheel sensors and hub spline alignment

Hey All,
I am a new disco ii owner, a 2003 that was terribly neglected. This forum has been incredibly helpful on about 2 dozen topics. Too much work done to mention now, will update my "footer" that appears at the bottom of my posting, new member to the site.

My Problem: I am in the middle of troubleshooting the 3 Amigos after having replaced the front hubs and sensors, breaks rotors and calipers, cv joints, and installed a rebuilt differential and front prop shaft. Oh, and the biggest nightmare job was replacing the upper and lower ball joints for the steering knuckle. Wow!

I plan to borrow a friends computer that can read and clear ABS codes, but I had a question about the inner splines on the hubs. When I look into the hole where the sensor goes and see the splines the inch or so down, should they cover the entire opening? The "teeth" are about half way across and I don't know if this is causing problems. I replaced cv joints as well, don't know if the length is off, missed a spacer, or if it is normal, don't remember from when I took it all apart.

The truck would hardly move forward with the sensors immediately reading diff wheel speeds, applying breaks in the intermittent grinding sort of sound, kicked out of TC, etc., but drives fine without. The relays and fuse for ABS/TC/etc are removed, driven about 100 miles, all ok but eager to get this stuff set up correctly.

Any suggestions?

Thanks for your help!

Old 12-20-2011, 09:45 PM
TReK
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

you didn't mix up the hubs did you. lf for rr or rr for rf did you?

Old 12-21-2011, 06:41 AM
Administrator
Received 100 Likes on 82 Posts

Also, you friend , most likely, won't be able to clear your 3 amigos, unless of course he has a 3 amigo or Hawkeye scanner.

Old 12-21-2011, 11:55 AM
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I checked the order sheet and they should be fronts. I don't know if I would notice a difference between rear and front, only replaced fronts at this point, no mixing up with rears from removal. Is there an easy way to tell the different once the hubs are installed to see if the wrong one was shipped?
Also, for the splines, do you remember if they go completely across the sensor opening?

My buddy works at an indy shop that should have a computer to clear the ABS codes, we'll see.

Thanks guys for your help, Steve

Old 12-22-2011, 09:55 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts

Only differences between fronts an rears are; fronts don’t have the o-ring on the back side(but have the O-ring groove) and have a shorter sensor wire(if you bought the complete assy.). No difference between the actual hubs. I replaced my front with a rear - no issue.