Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Where to get wires and plugs?

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2010, 06:14 PM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Where to get wires and plugs?

I have a 97 disco I need to replace the spark plug wires and the plugs themselves. I know there has been alot of talk about this but in my 30 min search I couldn't really see where to order these at a good price. Apparently I want either 8mm or sti? Are sti 8mm? Then there are the plugs, from my searching I want bosch +4? I also need to replace the ignition wires. Can someone give me a link where I can purchase these for a good price? Thanks, Dave

Old 02-24-2010, 06:40 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

The plug wires that I recommend and amd using are Magnecor 8mm plug wires.
www.apexperformance.net has the best price.
Others have had really good luck with STI plug wires, I do not know where you would buy those.
I use and recommend Iridium plugs, you can use whatever you want.
I buy my plugs at AutoZone.

Make sure you replace one spark plug and plug wire at a time.

Old 02-24-2010, 10:27 PM
Drifting

Thanks, do you mean replace the wire with the corresponding plug, then move on to the next wire and corresponding plug? What is the reason for this?

Old 02-24-2010, 10:41 PM
4wd High

Originally Posted by davidstereo
Thanks, do you mean replace the wire with the corresponding plug, then move on to the next wire and corresponding plug? What is the reason for this?
I'm pretty sure that's what he meant. This is so that you don't cross wires from the coil to a wrong plug by pulling all the plug wires, then trying to guess/remember where they go.

Old 02-24-2010, 11:37 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

On some vehicles you can just pull them all off and put them back on with no problem. With the D2, I am not sure about a D1, the coil packs are located it a tough location where you have to do much of your connecting by feel and sound to find the right spot to plug them back in and hear the connector snap onto the stud. It is easy to get the plugs wires on the wrong stud when you are feeling around to plug them in on the coil pack if you have more than one off. Not that it can't be done, you are less likely to get wires crossed up when you take only one off at a time.

Last edited by Rover_Hokie; 02-25-2010 at 08:03 PM.
Old 02-25-2010, 12:21 PM
Baja
Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts

Some people have had good luck with the fancy plugs on D1's, others have had a lot of problems.
Personally I just buy the whatever plugs are on sale. Generally that's plain old Autolite for <= $1
For plug wires I've been running Magnecore for the last 6 years or so. I'm going to try the Kingsborne wires. I used to use them about 20 or so years ago when I sold Kingsborne products. Thought I'd try them again.

Old 05-07-2010, 12:33 AM
Overlanding
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I know it's an old thread, but I wanted to comment on the STI ignition wires: the previous owner of my truck got them from Rover at 88kmiles, today my truck has 117kmiles and wire #4 is dead (inside of the plug is broken)

I am going to go with Magnecor!