Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

White Shepherd VS Blue Devil rear main seal?

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2012, 02:42 PM
urq
Three Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default White Shepherd VS Blue Devil rear main seal?

So I ordered some White Shepherd Rear Main Seal from Amazon.com and when I got the package yesterday the bottle says Blue Devil rear main seal?
The invoice says White Shepherd on it?
And looking at photos of the 2 items the bottles look similar but just different names?

Old 03-06-2012, 02:56 PM
Super Moderator
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

They are one in the same, see White Shepherd Rear Main Sealer Repairs Rear Main Seal Oil Leaks | USA SEALANTS | Stop Leak for Oil Leaks, Blown Head Gaskets, Transmission & A/C Leaks. The Blue Devil family of products includes a variety. This particular product (rear main seal) works by "swelling" rubber parts that oil contacts. The effect continues after the product is drained out on oil changes. In the old days, mechaincs would soak things in brake fluid. This is a different product, much safer to use.

Old 03-06-2012, 02:56 PM
Administrator
Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts

Go on line to, gouniversalproducts.com get their number and call them to make sure it is their old rear main sealer.

Old 03-06-2012, 05:17 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by urq
So I ordered some White Shepherd Rear Main Seal from Amazon.com and when I got the package yesterday the bottle says Blue Devil rear main seal?
The invoice says White Shepherd on it?
And looking at photos of the 2 items the bottles look similar but just different names?
Both are the the same, I got it directly from gouniversalproducts.com and received the blue devil rear main sealer. I didn't even have a rear main leak, just the oil pan bolts were loose.
For some reason I had big hopes, but I don't think the product is that great. I have a small leak from transfer case and put a third bottle when changing the fluid and than some more later, leak is still the same. One of these days will reseal it properly.

Old 03-06-2012, 07:30 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by hhalimi
Both are the the same, I got it directly from gouniversalproducts.com and received the blue devil rear main sealer. I didn't even have a rear main leak, just the oil pan bolts were loose.
For some reason I had big hopes, but I don't think the product is that great. I have a small leak from transfer case and put a third bottle when changing the fluid and than some more later, leak is still the same. One of these days will reseal it properly.
The trick with those things is you must drive continually for at least 2 hours.
When I used the oil seal conditioner I put it in right before a 3 hour drive.
Thats was over a year ago now and still no leaks.

Old 04-10-2014, 09:11 AM
Mudding
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Just want to make sure this is the right one.

http://store.gobluedevil.com/rear-main-sealer-00234/

Thanks!

Last edited by collector87; 04-10-2014 at 09:41 AM.
Old 04-10-2014, 09:42 AM
Mudding
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Heard from DiscoMike that this is the right one. Thanks!

Originally Posted by collector87

Just want to make sure this is the right one.

Rear Main Seal Leak | Rear Main Seal Stop Leak | BlueDevil

Thanks!

Old 11-22-2014, 12:57 PM
Winching
Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts

ok I have a question then.... can someone use both their products in the oil? rear main sealer and oil stop leak or are they one and the same? I haven't examined my rear main seal but truck has 100k.. a few little driblets of oil occasionally but nothing Im alarmed about.. valve covers are tight... oil pressure good... temps ok... but would it be ok as a preventative?

Last edited by dparham; 11-22-2014 at 01:13 PM.
Old 11-22-2014, 01:20 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 32 Likes on 27 Posts

Oil stop leaks almost always function by swelling up O-rings and seals. They make the rubber a little more pliable and larger so they will tend to stop leaking. You can add some of that but it is my understanding that the rear main seals on these engines aren't prone to leaking. There are 2 cross-shaped seals right next to the rear main bearing cap, called cruciform seals, that usually leak. The stop leak stuff doesn't always fix those.

Old 11-22-2014, 01:54 PM
Winching
Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts

hmmm.... yeah... I may use them or not... haven't decided... mostly I plan to change oil pump and timing chain.. ect... since an 03 in VIN range, even though it seems to be ok, next maintenance go around... Im at 100k and maybe at 120k Ill do that... to be honest( which I usually am lol) after I did a bunch of maintenance from neglectful prev owner, it has never had any real issue that worried me.. just this and that... I did allot though from window regulator motors to new A/C compressor and cooling system... all new pulleys and fluids lol couple missing caps n covers and BAM! 3 years still in love with it! Oh yeah drive shaft upgrade lol i don't LOVE the oxidizing clear coat however dammit! right about the time my new sweet safari rack I'm building will be installed lol and some $T^&* Bag bumped side adding tiny door ding and scrape... I may install door trim after paint lol

Last edited by dparham; 11-22-2014 at 01:56 PM.