Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Who knows cruise control? 2001. Help

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2017, 03:34 PM
Mudding
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I just pulled my clock spring out and tested it this afternoon. Unless it's a mechanical issue, I found that there is no interrupted current from one side to the other. Rotates nicely with no noise at all.So, why my cruise control shuts down when the radio goes on, I'm baffled.

Robert, .. Yes, all buttons on the wheel, along with the air bag wires go through the clock spring. For kicks, do see if the radio being on or off makes a difference in you situation, as it's the same symptoms I have.

Old 11-20-2017, 04:10 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 260 Likes on 173 Posts

Originally Posted by robert.juric
In regards to CC troubleshooting, and the "clock spring" that is mentioned. Is that only for the cruise control buttons, or all steering wheel buttons?

Asked another way, if my radio buttons on the steering wheel are working is it safe to assume that the "clock spring" is functioning correctly?

On my CC I get the light on the cluster button but when I pull the button on the steering wheel I get nothing. No click or noise at all. Radio controls on the steering wheel work.
My thought is yes. I think doing a test like Greg just did would help, but to answer the question, the clock spring is connecting everything that rotates on the steering wheel (airbag, horn, CC, and radio controls) to the appropriate “stationary” component.

So if your horn is working and you don’t have any SRS codes and even the radio controls work, but no cruise, then yeah I bet that part is fine.

I think Best 4x4 had the best rundown of what to inspect in troubleshooting:
- Under hood components
- Brake switch
- Clock Spring

Old 12-13-2017, 09:44 PM
Recovery Vehicle

Of course after a coup,e weeks of glorious cruise control, alas it stopped working again. I’m pretty sure it’s a vacuum leak as it was a slow death on the way home (wouldn’t hold speed), but disappointed I gotta mess with it again.

Old 12-14-2017, 06:37 PM
Recovery Vehicle

Figured it out. First pic is obviously squished, and the second is just after I let go.

Old 12-15-2017, 11:10 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 1,160 Likes on 836 Posts

Now, as long as your thumb doesn't have a hole in it...you may be on to something...lol.

Old 12-15-2017, 11:49 AM
Recovery Vehicle

Yeah it’s funny as it will hold if I push into it, but it won’t on the suction side. Also, if I squish it WAY down, it will hold the vacuum, but not for the realistic level (like in the pic above).

I’m going to order one from Atlantic British I guess, but the darn thing is $110. Oh well.

I’m fairly certain this is it as I hear a click from the controller in the footwell, so everything in the cab must be working correctly.

Old 12-15-2017, 03:04 PM
Super Moderator
Received 2,239 Likes on 1,662 Posts

Originally Posted by longtallsally
Yeah it’s funny as it will hold if I push into it, but it won’t on the suction side. Also, if I squish it WAY down, it will hold the vacuum, but not for the realistic level (like in the pic above).

I’m going to order one from Atlantic British I guess, but the darn thing is $110. Oh well.

I’m fairly certain this is it as I hear a click from the controller in the footwell, so everything in the cab must be working correctly.
pin hole in the bladder = common. Junk yard or Abran will get ya fixed up!

Old 12-15-2017, 11:21 PM
Recovery Vehicle

I bit the bullet and ordered a new one from Atlantic British. Meh. I use the cruise A LOT, so I guess it’s worth it.

Old 02-05-2018, 12:55 PM
Mudding
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

UPDATE:
Removed my radio and sistered up a ground wire to the factory ground on the radio wire harness. Tested and thought for a second that this did the trick, but no. A couple weeks later, today, I went ahead and cut the factory ground off the radio harness, leaving just the new ground I had sistered up. That was the issue! All works now.
So, if you have this issue, then cut the factory harness ground wire that goes wherever (Obviously to the same grounding point as the cruise control), and splice in an all new ground to that plug.
Happy camper.

Last edited by Greg Vasileff; 02-05-2018 at 12:59 PM.
Old 02-05-2018, 07:40 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 846 Likes on 633 Posts

Originally Posted by Greg Vasileff
UPDATE:
Removed my radio and sistered up a ground wire to the factory ground on the radio wire harness. Tested and thought for a second that this did the trick, but no. A couple weeks later, today, I went ahead and cut the factory ground off the radio harness, leaving just the new ground I had sistered up. That was the issue! All works now.
So, if you have this issue, then cut the factory harness ground wire that goes wherever (Obviously to the same grounding point as the cruise control), and splice in an all new ground to that plug.
Happy camper.
Do you have pictures of this? Thanks!