Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Windshield Wipers Overextend Normal Range

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2012, 01:54 PM
4wd Low
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Windshield Wipers Overextend Normal Range

The windshield wipers on my 2000 Discovery II are overextending their optimal range. Another way to describe it is that they are "sloppy" and have excessive play.

I have removed and readjusted the each of the wiper arms several times and have verified that they are securely bolted down. No matter how I position them they either come to a rest on the lower windshield surround or they slap against the driver's side A-pillar when operating.

I've checked the workshop manual and it isn't clear if it is possible to adjust the motor or the linkage.

Several unsuccessful searches of the archives and I'm finally asking for advice. Anything you all have to offer is appreciated.

Thank You,

Old 03-21-2012, 08:04 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Start with new wiper arms and lock washers on the wiper arm nuts.
Get a pair of these.
Wiper Arm - Front (PRC8236 Same Fit As Part # DKB102710) - Land Rover wiper blades\washers from Atlantic British
The are a exact fit and you can then buy your wiper blades anywhere, including the gas station.

Old 03-21-2012, 08:08 PM
Super Moderator
Received 95 Likes on 90 Posts

These are probably a better deal, because they come with the caps too. The wipers they come with are pure trash though.

Rovers North - The Source for Classic Land Rover Parts - WIPER BLADE CONVERSION DISCOVERY II FRONT

Old 03-21-2012, 08:12 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by jafir
These are probably a better deal, because they come with the caps too. The wipers they come with are pure trash though.

Rovers North - The Source for Classic Land Rover Parts - WIPER BLADE CONVERSION DISCOVERY II FRONT
Damn that is a good deal!

Old 03-21-2012, 08:16 PM
Super Moderator

If the linkage actually is worn out, I think you have to get the entire motor.... I think.

You might make sure the entire assembly is still securely bolted down though.

Last edited by jafir; 03-21-2012 at 08:22 PM.
Old 03-21-2012, 08:27 PM
4wd Low

Thanks for the suggestion of new arms, washers, and lock nuts; however, the issue has nothing to do with wiper arms or worn attachment points. The connection between my wiper arms and the attachment posts is solid.

The play is significant enough that the wipers when resting on the lower windshield surround will still make contact with the a-pillar. I'm pretty confident it's play in the linkage. Anyone know if that's adjustable or if you can replace the linkage separate from the wiper motor? An entire motor assembly from Rovers North is $240, so I'm hoping someone has insight on adjusting or replacing just the linkage.

Old 03-23-2012, 05:27 PM
4wd Low

Problem solved! Finally removed the plenum air intake to get at the wiper linkage and motor. Two of the three bolts holding the wiper motor motor to the mounting plate were missing, and the third was loose. The two missing bolts were just rolling around under the plenum and were easy to reinstall (this time with Lock Tight).

Old 03-23-2012, 05:37 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by mwyoung
Problem solved! Finally removed the plenum air intake to get at the wiper linkage and motor. Two of the three bolts holding the wiper motor motor to the mounting plate were missing, and the third was loose. The two missing bolts were just rolling around under the plenum and were easy to reinstall (this time with Lock Tight).
Good job! Always nice not to have to buy parts!

I might add that I did suggest looking at that

Old 09-14-2013, 05:15 PM
1st Gear

Not to resurrect a dead thread (though that's exactly what I'm doing), but I'm having this exact problem. I'm hoping for a similar fix, so now I have to ask- what's the plenum air intake? How do I get at it remove it and check the linkage? Or where should I get a guide to help me with this stuff? My wife loves her LR3 (recently bought it used), but she's not crazy about it being useless on rainy days. Gotta fix it if I'm going to maintain domestic bliss. Thanks!