Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wiring harness from CPS to ECM

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2016, 06:59 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 154 Likes on 112 Posts
Default Wiring harness from CPS to ECM

I posted on other threads issues that I was having with intermittant starting. I asked my mechanic brother-in-law to take a look and he determined it is the wiring from the CPS to the ECM. All symptoms pointed to a bad CPS but it has been replaced multiple times correctly. No RPMs register on scangauge when cranking. Occasionaly it does start and RPMs register.

I assume the plug located so conveniently is bad but getting to it to fix is impossible. I was thinking about getting this section of harness from a junker and either replacing completely or splicing in to make it longer and more acessable.

Has anybody done this?

Old 09-20-2016, 07:32 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 189 Likes on 184 Posts

Originally Posted by zuke
Has anybody done this?
You might want to read through this thread.
Need some help with a wiring diagram.

The following users liked this post:
zuke (09-20-2016)
Old 09-20-2016, 11:27 AM
Recovery Vehicle

I read thru that thread and decided it was too much for me.

How about if I just cut through the firewall down by my brake pedal to get access to the plug? I could spot weld or epoxy it back into place.

Old 09-20-2016, 01:58 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Default Firewall cut

I think I got this figured out. A 2'x2' cut in the firewall under the gas pedal will give me access to pull the bad plug through and repair with this:

BWD PT5915 - Electrical Connector | O'Reilly Auto Parts

There is a heat shield in the engine compartment to remove. I will secure it back with screws in case I need access again.

Old 09-20-2016, 02:27 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 99 Likes on 92 Posts

Whatever you decide to do, solder and heatshrink, dont use crimp connectors.

Old 09-23-2016, 12:52 PM
Mudding
Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

How was the wiring diagnosed to be bad? Did the circuit for one of the pins test bad or intermittent for continuity? I'd hate to see you go through this effort only to find that the problem was a corroded connection at the ECU, bad ECU, damaged flex plate, etc.

I don't understand why you'd want to cut a hole in the body for access. There are other options available, not the least of which would be loosening the body mounts and raising the body away from the frame/engine if you just can't reach. I've found that accessing the back of the engine is so much easier after installing a 1" body lift, you can do it temporarily with some wood blocks just to get access.

If the plug or wiring are truly bad, I'd go and spend half a day at a U-pull yard scoping it out, attempting to get the replacement connector off a donor. You'll learn a lot about how you want to attack it, and possibly get an OE replacement for a fraction of the cost of that O'Reilly part.

I understand the logic, but I would not recommend cutting a hole in the body. Potential to cause collateral damage, and it will never be the same.