Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

wont come out of park

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2011, 05:09 PM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

where is the neutral safety switch? is it the same thing as the xyz switch?

Old 12-06-2011, 06:44 PM
Winching

They are different. The neutral safety switch is under the gear selector, you have to remove the shift **** to access it. The XYZ switch is bolted to the side of the transmission, you can only access it from under the truck.

Old 12-10-2011, 03:04 PM
Drifting
Default update

the problem was the xyz switch on the tranny out of adjustment. i took it for a test ride around the block and the trannny line popped off the radiator. i think i have it snapped on good and tight now but im sure it has air in the line what do i do with that? i topped it back off with tranny flluid. oh and that begs another question....the only place i found to ad tranny fluid was in the power steering resevoir, is this correct? i dont want to drive it again until its circulating good fluid..............thanks, Bret

Old 12-10-2011, 09:55 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by FrFghtrBRET
the problem was the xyz switch on the tranny out of adjustment. i took it for a test ride around the block and the trannny line popped off the radiator. i think i have it snapped on good and tight now but im sure it has air in the line what do i do with that? i topped it back off with tranny flluid. oh and that begs another question....the only place i found to ad tranny fluid was in the power steering resevoir, is this correct? i dont want to drive it again until its circulating good fluid..............thanks, Bret
DUDE NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
There is only one way to add tranny fluid to a DII and that is from under the truck, on the front of the trans sump is a fill/check plug.
With the truck level, in park and running remove the plug and using a hand pump fill it with fluid until it comes out in a nice steady stream and then plug it back up with it still running.

As for the air in the trans cooler line, no big deal, it got pushed out and into the transmission.
You need to top off your trans fluid, then drive it for a day and check it again.
The power steering and transmission are 2 separate systems and are NOT connected.

Old 12-10-2011, 11:24 PM
Super Moderator
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

And on a D2, the power steering fluid is, well, power steering fluid. On a D1 it is ATF.

Old 12-12-2011, 07:44 AM
Drifting
Default update

thanks spike, i did end up figuring that out. only thing is i didnt do it with the engine running. ill do that before i drive it just to be safe. and buzz, thanks for the info on the power steering fluid. ill get the hang of this disco one of these days. the engine swap was the biggest challenge ive ever taken on and ive had many bumps along the road. but things aare starting to look up and im starting to think it was worth it. thanks to all that have offered help........Bret