Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Would you buy a 2004 Discovery that needed these repairs?

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2013, 08:42 PM
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Would you buy a 2004 Discovery that needed these repairs?

The reason I came on here is to seek some advice on what to do with my '04 Discovery. She's been a great car...66K miles, and the ONLY thing I ever had to have fixed was to clear a clog in the air conditioning line. That's it! Until now...

All of a sudden, she wasn't running so well, so I brought her in for a check-up, and they came up with a few things that needed to be addressed:

1. Engine is misfiring on cylinders
2. Ignition wires need to be changed
3. Mass airflow sensor needs to be changed
4. Oxygen sensor needs to be changed
5. Track rod and steering rod need to be changed
6. Also, the basic fluid change and fuel injection service

I had her checked out at two places (our local Land Rover dealership, and a very trustworthy local mechanic)...They both confirmed the same issues, and both priced the repairs out at around $5-6k.

So, here's my dilemma: This is a second car for me...I don't NEED it, so it's hard to justify spending the $5-6k to repair her. Land Rover said they would take it in as a trade-in for something new (which I also don't need), but they said they would basically sell her for scrap. Even if I was looking to get a new Land Rover, I would have a hard doing this...I am very sentimental towards this car. If I was a gear-head, I'd fix her up myself, but I just don't have that capacity. If I'm going to send her on someplace, I want to make sure she's going to go to someone who will appreciate her and restore her, not sell her for parts.

So, am I crazy? Is there an interest in a '04 Disco with 66k miles that needs some work? I would think there would be, I'm just hoping to connect with someone on here that is interested, or that might be able to point me in the right direction. I hope it's clear that this isn't just about trying to sell a car...Since I can't take care of her, I really want to make sure she goes to someone who can fix her up and appreciate her for years to come. Thanks for reading, and for any thoughts or advice you care to share.

Old 01-04-2013, 09:10 PM
Banned
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The Hampton's??? Seriously dude?

Anyway you could if your mechanical in any way fix these little problems in one afternoon maybe two and have your truck back! With the help from all of us on this forum you could do it.
We have a section if "how to's" if you search there you will find how to fix each of your problems.
If your not interested in that I have $500 for you.

Drew

Old 01-04-2013, 09:16 PM
Drifting

it is the hamptons. my parents had a house in oyster bay and it was like that there also. i am sure the disco was used on the weekends. just wax it, buff the rims and sit it at the local starbucks. you'll get 30 offers in 1/2 and hour. if it's snowing out, you'll get 50 offers. it is the hamptons. hell, take it to smithtown, they'll fight each other for it.

Old 01-05-2013, 07:10 AM
Administrator
Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts

That price you have been quoted is a joke.
When you going to get smart and do the work yourself?
You can do the entire major service, along with replacing the front drive shaft for under $550.

Old 01-05-2013, 08:13 AM
Mudding

I would no longer refer to that mechanic as "trustworthy". . Also, I guarantee the dealer wouldn't scrap the truck either...if only I were closer to you, I would buy this truck, 66k is far too few miles to call it quits.

Old 01-05-2013, 08:55 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Disco Mike
That price you have been quoted is a joke.
When you going to get smart and do the work yourself?
You can do the entire major service, along with replacing the front drive shaft for under $550.
Disco Mike, as usual, is right. Since it's your second car, put it in the garage for the rest of the winter, order the parts, and fix her on the weekends. You will be very glad you did.

Old 01-05-2013, 08:56 AM
Banned

It would be crazy to see you pay that note for such small repairs.

Old 01-05-2013, 08:57 AM
Mudding

I'm in ct and can walk you through these procedures no prob. I would also buy this beauty from you if you don't want to deal with it...

Old 01-05-2013, 09:01 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by SSL9000J
Disco Mike, as usual, is right.

Lmfao rof.

Do I Sense a man crush?

Joke!

Last edited by lr2001silver; 01-05-2013 at 09:51 AM.
Old 01-05-2013, 09:02 AM
Super Moderator
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

Well, also consider the market, around there they buy LR4's for the nanny to take the children to school. Land Rovers are a rolling billboard of individuality, sophisticated taste, appreciation of finer things in life, and a check book that must be lifted by fork lift. Oh well, 3 outta four ain't bad.

Attached Thumbnails Would you buy a 2004 Discovery that needed these repairs?-bad-mechanic.jpg  

Quick Reply: Would you buy a 2004 Discovery that needed these repairs?