Engine & Internal Chat about beefing up your engine's insides here.

How do I change tranny fluid? Also shifts hard 1st/2nd gear

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2007, 04:03 PM
8th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How do I change tranny fluid? Also shifts hard 1st/2nd gear

Can the tranmission fluid be changed on my Freeland SE 2002? Can I do it myself or do I have to have a stealership rip me off? Also, seems like it shifts out of 1st/2nd a little rougher than other SUV's. Is this normal? Thanks in advance.

Jason

Old 09-22-2007, 10:56 AM
8th Gear
Default RE: How do I change tranny fluid? Also shifts hard 1st/2nd gear

anyone? Come on...

Old 09-23-2007, 01:28 PM
Administrator
Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts

First of all, your truck takes a special ATF that only Rover sells, put anything else in it and it will just quit on you. Have you added any fluid to it in the past.

Old 09-24-2007, 02:20 PM
8th Gear

I have been told they are known for bad transmissions and they don't deserve the land rover name even on them. Plus, I can't get a simple reply in any forum. I just bought it and I was told I need to flush the tranny. I also was told by Land Rover that this common on the Freelander and that the freelander is basically a junk car. Now I'm worried...[/align]

Old 09-27-2007, 10:04 PM
Mudding
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

First man, you gotta have control so you don't do anything rash with your vehicle. I imagine you have some hard cash sunk in now, so let's be methodical about your problem. DiscoMike asked if you had replaced the fluid in the past, or if you know of it having been changed at all. You need to post whatever history you know of so that we can give you the help you're looking for.

You do not have a filter as far as I can see on your truck. You do have, however, the most complicated looking transmission I have ever seen on anything period, so you gotta make sure you put that specified transmission fluid in there. You probably will be prone to transmission problems on that type of truck way before alot of other cars out there. So, pony up the info and Mike or some others can help you out from there. I'm a Disco owner so my experience is limited to them, but I'm always ready to put a couple of cents in.

Old 09-27-2007, 10:15 PM
8th Gear

ORIGINAL: jwfuller

First man, you gotta have control so you don't do anything rash with your vehicle. I imagine you have some hard cash sunk in now, so let's be methodical about your problem. DiscoMike asked if you had replaced the fluid in the past, or if you know of it having been changed at all. You need to post whatever history you know of so that we can give you the help you're looking for.

You do not have a filter as far as I can see on your truck. You do have, however, the most complicated looking transmission I have ever seen on anything period, so you gotta make sure you put that specified transmission fluid in there. You probably will be prone to transmission problems on that type of truck way before alot of other cars out there. So, pony up the info and Mike or some others can help you out from there. I'm a Disco owner so my experience is limited to them, but I'm always ready to put a couple of cents in.
Just got the tranny flushed for only $230...insane. Now my broken window regulator is another $230 just for the part. These things are insanein parts and tough to do yourself. I think I'll take my lose and sell this POS before anything else happens. Seems to shift better now though, but can still tell. only 60k on this thing and it acts like this? I still have a day or so on my warranty so I may just see if I can collect $1600 and pocket it, then sell it to make up the difference. Trans fluid was blacker than I've ever seen oil. I know nothing from the history.

Old 09-28-2007, 05:58 AM
Mudding
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yup, probably so. When I bought my discovery off of someone I don't think it has been to the dealer for services in years... All of the fluids were black soups. Unless you are the type that works on vehicles, you have to check the maintenance history of a car when you buy it. Unless the seller can show proof of 30k, 45k, and 60k services at the least, don't buy it.

Old 09-28-2007, 09:10 AM
8th Gear

ORIGINAL: jwfuller

Yup, probably so. When I bought my discovery off of someone I don't think it has been to the dealer for services in years... All of the fluids were black soups. Unless you are the type that works on vehicles, you have to check the maintenance history of a car when you buy it. Unless the seller can show proof of 30k, 45k, and 60k services at the least, don't buy it.
The next service I was told is at 72k that will involve changing the water pump and I'm looking at over $700.00. Is this true?

Old 11-25-2007, 04:44 PM
Mudding

Not sure about the freelanders.. but anything with green sticker is not cheap (the oem filter in my disco is 300buxs)

Btw jw what do u mean by the freelander having the most complicated tranny