Engine Swaps This is the place to discuss any and all motor swaps for your Land Rover.

5.3 LC9 engine / 6L80 trans.Discovery 2

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2022, 08:52 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 27 Likes on 18 Posts

I used the basic Summit LS swap headers (the block hugger headers). I also used the Fitech intake manifold and rails to clear everything. I think we are still early in this whole D2 LS swap so there’s still a lot to sort out…

The following users liked this post:
Techno (06-17-2022)
Old 07-20-2022, 03:07 PM
Three Wheeling

Sorry I got distracted and didn't grab a photo of the engine position. I'm actually swapping to a larger radiator so I have a good shot at the engine position. I'm going with a dual core radiator as the truck was getting hot under heavy load and higher ambient temps. I am installing a Summit dual core radiator that should offer a lot more cooling (I realize the Disco radiator is about 25% smaller than the Silverado 1500 radiator).

Chevrolet LS swap (LC9)

Techno (07-20-2022)
Old 07-20-2022, 04:09 PM
Drifting
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Thanks for the input. I haven't made time to post my progress. I have currently came to the first finishing point. the disco runs and drives but I have injector oring leak on the lower injector side. so it has rough idle but im working on doing new rings.. I think I only have a problem with one injector oring. but I will replace all on that side as they my get damaged if I reuse them.
I have a larger radiator for my swap. I did order the 4" lift kit but I I didn't ave time to put it on yet.

Radiator pic. I was putting together the intake pipe. since in Washington its quite cool climate I will just rung that air filter. but later I will switch back to the airbox or get an inline filter so I can install the snorkel. I connected the gap in the pipe with a silicone coupler.

Old 07-20-2022, 04:20 PM
Three Wheeling

Ha! I tore an o-ring or two, as well. It is such an annoying problem to have.

Did you go with the RW-Eng gateway? Is it working so far?

By the way, after months of tweaking the transmission tune to address a rough 3-1 shift (TCC lock up, speeds, etc.), I finally realized that our 1.2:1 transfer case works best with the 3-1 (and 2-1) downshifts set to 0 mph, so it waits to downshift until the truck is stopped. Just a thought.

Old 07-20-2022, 04:45 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by BoulderCharles
Ha! I tore an o-ring or two, as well. It is such an annoying problem to have.

Did you go with the RW-Eng gateway? Is it working so far?

By the way, after months of tweaking the transmission tune to address a rough 3-1 shift (TCC lock up, speeds, etc.), I finally realized that our 1.2:1 transfer case works best with the 3-1 (and 2-1) downshifts set to 0 mph, so it waits to downshift until the truck is stopped. Just a thought.
I didn't not get the rw. I currently didn't work on much for the Arduino. Sad news is there car will be sitting for a long time but I will have someone drive once in a while to keep it moving. maybe a while again before I can do the rest.

Anyone else interested in doing the complete swap I recommend going with the mark 4wd tcase adapter kit as the starting point. I went with the rw-eng the tcase adapter work great but I now want to go back and make new tcase frame mounts and new engine mounts to push the whole thing back about 2" Another note once I install 4" lift it make be possible I will also center the dive line and shouldn't have any interference with trans oil pan, exhaust. I will come back and post where I left off from previous pics.
Thanks Charles for your help. I still had lots of work because our swaps have almost same parts but still very different. and I still want to go back and redo stuff as I just needed it running and driving and I didn't have time to fabricate more parts. so it works well now but not finished. The story of any car enthusiast! lol

Old 07-20-2022, 05:10 PM
Three Wheeling

I hear you on the never-ending work! I'm still refining a year after getting started on this project. I still have a nagging desire to get the cruise control to work but it's low on the larger auto enthusiast priority list.

Congrats on getting things running! It's a huge milestone.

Old 09-24-2022, 10:52 AM
Drifting

Here are some pictures. running and driving. still not finished.

Made Brackets because I still have ACE. also the engine sits forward so I didn't have enough room and I didn't want to make a complete new bracket to use P/S and ace ( P/S is rover pump, I will use corvette P/S later)

Again this is temporary. I will change it in the future when I move the engine back about 2-2.5 inches

Alternator bracket. I will use GM a/c compressor in the factory space below the alternator.

modifying accelerator pedal to use GM DBW

Slightly shorter than I measured for but its plastic so I can change it later. No issues when driving.

TUTD shifter. I think it came from equinox?

Headers work well though I had to get ceramic sleeve plug wired. if they don't hold up well I will get different headers later.

Old 09-24-2022, 11:07 AM
Drifting

After a wash. Some horrible Plastidip spray from previous owner. I will fix it later

Over all it is in good condition now that it is swapped.

I do have to replace the rear door hinges. lower one is broken. and I have to put the tire carrier on.

Old 09-27-2022, 10:57 PM
Three Wheeling

BTW, here’s the ECM pinout for the LC9.

Attached Files
File Type: docx
Engine Harness Routing.docx (2.07 MB, 71 views)
Techno (10-08-2022)
Old 10-25-2022, 10:41 PM
Drifting

Not really an update. but I bought this when I was getting parts to start project. but thesis waiting to be put on later. 4" lift kit.

terrafirma lift kit just waiting.

Quick Reply: 5.3 LC9 engine / 6L80 trans.Discovery 2