Engine Swaps This is the place to discuss any and all motor swaps for your Land Rover.

5.3 LC9 engine / 6L80 trans.Discovery 2

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2023, 09:30 PM
Drifting
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Currently no progress because I am away so I can't work on it. it currently drivable and reliable. I do have other things small and little bigger I want to do.
I will try to put a list of things I seen when doing my swap.
It also depends on which route you are going to take. if you do gm engine and 6l80 I would start with marks 4x4 transferase adapter.
canbus is not needed but if you want to have a/c and cruise control Tap up/down shift it will be needed.
aftermarket intake manifold will be needed if using v8 with DOD. older v8 intake manifold I don't know how they will fit.
I will see what I can put together but it may be a while.
If you have done any other swaps before it quite the same. just having to do wiring is not hard just tedious.

Old 07-25-2023, 04:10 AM
Drifting

this is a comparison from marks4x4 and rw-eng adapter for transfer case. not best angles but you can see the difference. I also think the marks 4x4 comes with new mounts. the first pic is not mine just seen on fb post.
Marks 4x4 adapter. you can see that it replaces the center piece

rw-eng adapter. you see here it uses the factory center piece

Old 07-25-2023, 12:46 PM
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thank you Techno!
I want the GM combo though my biggest concern was figuring out a reliable way to keep the Rover computers happy.
This girl just got a new engine build but still, she is a bit heavy.
I'm looking forward to your update.

Old 07-25-2023, 09:20 PM
Drifting

You have a very clean Discovery.
Since I didn't do the engine only swap I may not have enough info to help you there. though you are right about tuning the ecm to make the gm v8 run best. but that also requires some sensors that need to be converted on the gm v8 to use original sensors.
im not sure if people run gm ecm with discovery transmission ecm. but getting correct signal may require a lot of work.
if you keep the driveline the same you will have to buy or make new brackets for accessories.
I just made a temporary bracket to use discovery accessory bracket because I have the A.C.E. steering and I want to keep that. later I will change it but so I can keep it and run gm p/s pump. I used the dirty dingo alternator mount kit to put it on the passenger side. and the a/c compressor is in stock gm location and I will have to make new lines.
also if you haven't already swapped Radius arms I see that lucky8 now sells the adrenaline 4x4 radius arm from and rear, and offers 3 & 6 degree correction. and very good price.(this has nothing to do with swapping to ls. lol)

there are many people on this forum that has done the ace engineering swap they will have more info on they direction you are going. I just don't like the air intake tube routing of it. but making spacer brackets for accessories can get your truck running sooner.

you can see how I made my temporary spacers I used 2 pieces of aluminum plate. 1" - 5x8" and 5/16"- 4x7" I cut them to size. just driver side bracket.
I bought the aluminum because I didn't have it also not too much equipment to do metal working where I can make it look nicer. just a drill press and reciprocating saw as you can see by pics. but it works.
https://landroverforums.com/forum/en...e4/#post839501

Last edited by Techno; 07-25-2023 at 09:28 PM.
Old 08-04-2023, 11:36 PM
Drifting

I finally started to learn the Arduino. it will take some time but I expect I will get some coding/programming to get a/c cruise control, and TU/TD shifting.

Old 11-26-2023, 02:31 PM
3rd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Interested

I recently purchased an 04 D2 with a coolant in oil issue. If it's more than head gaskets like a slipped liner or cracked block, this is the route I am going. I am looking forward to following this. I am really interested in the electronics portion and what is needed to keep the factory computer happy in regards to canbus. Thank you all for your work in this area!

The following users liked this post:
Techno (11-28-2023)
Old 11-28-2023, 01:59 AM
Drifting

Originally Posted by EricEsch
I recently purchased an 04 D2 with a coolant in oil issue. If it's more than head gaskets like a slipped liner or cracked block, this is the route I am going. I am looking forward to following this. I am really interested in the electronics portion and what is needed to keep the factory computer happy in regards to canbus. Thank you all for your work in this area!
Thanks! I have put aside for short while on the canbus stuff at the moment, I don't have time to work on it and I need to be with the d2 to check signals different buttons. I am not at home but I will update as soon as I can. Also check the file @BoulderCharles posted in this thread. It has a lot of information. it will help when you get to that point. Without can buss you can get the d2 running well just loss of cruise control, a/c, TU/TD shift, and battery charge regulation. out of those the battery charging can be corrected with a modulator and later working like factory with canbus. or change alternator..