Engine Swaps This is the place to discuss any and all motor swaps for your Land Rover.

Discovery 2 LS Conversion

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2022, 06:20 PM
Mudding
Received 25 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by CaptainAaron
I don't know how the BlueDriver gets it data, so that could be contributing. I'd first check that you have the VSS wiring with the ACE box right. The fact that it randomly jumped to a really high value implies to me that the connection is not great or BlueDriver is getting data from a random place.
Thanks @CaptainAaron , I will go over my wiring.
Bluedriver is basically a bluetooth OBD dongle, used with your phone. I assumed it would obtain the same data any scanner would, but I'll do some more research on that too.

Old 01-31-2022, 06:26 PM
Mudding
Received 47 Likes on 31 Posts

I know that my Bluetooth OBD2 adapter has issues connecting sometimes. I need to unplug it and plug it back in and sometimes change the adapter settings for different protocols to match whatever vehicle. It has all sorts of trouble with my jeep. You'd think the gm computer should be about the easiest one to connect to. Assuming it's grounded correctly and all that. Grounding issues on the obd2 port is an issue with jeeps.

Old 02-05-2022, 06:30 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by 604x4BC
Hey @CaptainAaron It doesn't look like the GM ECM is seeing any signal at all.
I had my BlueDriver running for about 5min and got no reading at all. At one point it randomly jumped to 280km/h though...but I had it in park...

What does this mean then...where do I go from here?

I think I may be in the same exact boat. Never got a speed reading to come over to the GM ECU from the Rover's VSS wires so my speed just shows as 0 all the time.
I was having a lot of issue with idle and M&S lights but have been adjusting the crank sensor and the holder for it so that the signal from the trigger wheel has improved. My idle has definitely improved as a result but I still get periodic M&S lights (solved by restarting the car) and idle drops.
Regardless, I would love to figure out why I can't get a speed signal to show up on the GM side. I got the exact same code as you once but I think it was because I was having to keep my foot on the gas to prevent the idle RPM from dropping too low or even having the car shut off.
Send me a DM if you want to chat more! I'm curious about what your hardware looks like.

Old 03-25-2022, 10:29 AM
Mudding
Received 87 Likes on 57 Posts

Finally placed my order the other day. Two days later the kit was at my door step!

Here are a few pictures of the latest kit including my 5.3 L33 that I did upper end refresh on. I added a BTR Truck Norris Cam, LS7 lifters, BTR Beehive springs, new melling oil pump....

I look forward to asking many questions!

The following users liked this post:
RossN99 (03-25-2022)
Old 03-26-2022, 09:18 PM
Mudding
Received 47 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by Boostle
Finally placed my order the other day. Two days later the kit was at my door step!

Here are a few pictures of the latest kit including my 5.3 L33 that I did upper end refresh on. I added a BTR Truck Norris Cam, LS7 lifters, BTR Beehive springs, new melling oil pump....

I look forward to asking many questions!

Looks good. My kit just showed up last week. Your engine should be a runner with the bigger cam. I am still undecided but I think I'm going with the summit drop in truck cam. I'd guess you might be 375hp+ and mine should be around 350 with the flat top pistons and low lift cam. Your l33 already had a good 15-25hp on my lm7. I'm guessing most of that difference is in the lower compression ratio of the stock lm7 with the dished pistons and the l33 heads I believe are better too.

I'm hoping the extra torque translates into using less throttle to move the disco frigerator and gaining highway mileage over the 4.6

The following users liked this post:
Boostle (03-26-2022)
Old 03-30-2022, 04:36 PM
Mudding
Received 87 Likes on 57 Posts

I know the truck intake is the optimal intake to use for this engine for low end/ mid range torque but I absolutely despise how it looks. I received my new intake/fuel rail/throttle body setup last night and test fit her on there. Much better. I also slapped on some of the ACE conversion parts to the front of the engine. I've decided I'm going to ditch the land Rover setup though and go with a GM alternator setup. Hopefully captainaaron comes through with his bracket setup for me so I can ditch all that nonsense and simplify that side of the engine.

I'm also having thoughts about moving the battery from the passenger side to the driver side so that I can run the intake to the passenger side instead and avoid the "snake" intake tubing.

The following 2 users liked this post by Boostle:
604x4BC (03-30-2022), Richard Gallant (04-06-2022)
Old 03-30-2022, 10:06 PM
Mudding

Originally Posted by Rackolamb1
For those that have a whistle from the flex plate, this is what I am using to plug some of the holes. I'd suggest a minimum of 6. I found these at Lowes but you can also order from Lowe's online.

I have a noise... A whistle I think... It gets louder/faster the faster I go. Almost like a turbo or something. It makes me step off the pedal because I think it's going to blow or something.
Is this my fix?
​​​​​​

Old 03-30-2022, 10:08 PM
Mudding

Originally Posted by Boostle
I know the truck intake is the optimal intake to use for this engine for low end/ mid range torque but I absolutely despise how it looks. I received my new intake/fuel rail/throttle body setup last night and test fit her on there. Much better. I also slapped on some of the ACE conversion parts to the front of the engine. I've decided I'm going to ditch the land Rover setup though and go with a GM alternator setup. Hopefully captainaaron comes through with his bracket setup for me so I can ditch all that nonsense and simplify that side of the engine.

I'm also having thoughts about moving the battery from the passenger side to the driver side so that I can run the intake to the passenger side instead and avoid the "snake" intake tubing.

That looks very nice, good job!

Old 03-30-2022, 10:16 PM
Mudding

Originally Posted by losinov
I was having a lot of issue with idle.
Do you ever have this problem?
Still trying to figure out exactly what causes it, but what I think is happening is that when I get going quick, typically on a cold start.. And have to come to a sudden stop... The RPM gets too low and she dies. Starts right back up and works fine other than that.
Happened once pulling out of 711 at a stop sign about 10ft out, happened once when turning around.. Threw it in reverse, back into drive.. Then dead. Happened another time showing off to freinds, did a quick fast 50ft spurt to sudden stop, then dead. 3 times so far.
I've been reading lots online... Could be anything I suppose but I have a feeling it's something to do with the fact that I've removed all EVAP systems as well as the GM EGR...and possibly EGR needs to be tuned out of the PCM.... Any of this sound familiar to you/anyone here?

Old 03-31-2022, 12:44 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by 604x4BC
I have a noise... A whistle I think... It gets louder/faster the faster I go. Almost like a turbo or something. It makes me step off the pedal because I think it's going to blow or something.
Is this my fix?
​​​​​​
I'd bet it's the same whistle noise that I had. I'd have to assume everyone who has done this swap is living with some type of whistle due to this. I believe the problem is that the Discovery torque converter is smaller than the GM units, so those 18 holes for multiple GM applications on this universal flexplate are left uncovered by the D2 torque converter. The faster the RPM, the louder the whistle. I ended up using 12 of these and it totally resolved the whistle noise that I had. Which made driving it much more enjoyable.

Quick Reply: Discovery 2 LS Conversion