Engine Swaps This is the place to discuss any and all motor swaps for your Land Rover.

Discovery 2 LS Conversion

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2021, 06:05 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 184 Likes on 117 Posts

Originally Posted by cspargo
Yep - I can see them, but can't actually download them, as I get a 404 error in the console when I click on them, then the page sort of dies. Was hoping to use the documentation to help SELECT a LS motor, so with my old motor pulled, I'm at a bit of a standstill now. I'm sure it will get worked out.
You don't really need the manuals for selecting an LS -- all that info is virtually the same as what is on the website info pages.

Selection options: https://www.alternativeconversion.com/engine-options
LS harnesses: https://www.alternativeconversion.co...ss-information
Sample parts list: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...gid=1622337746 (use for reference only, go by the one in the downloaded files - there are some differences)

That should get you started on your engine search. LM4 or L33 are the best if you can find them!

Old 11-24-2021, 04:52 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 46 Likes on 39 Posts

My 03 ls swap sat in my backyard for about a year due to me away for work. When i got back rats have somehow got inside and destroyed everything from seats to multiple harnesses. So i bought an 04 to replace it and currently on the process taking the good parts ot in order to swap em over.

Old 11-24-2021, 05:44 PM
Mudding
Received 25 Likes on 13 Posts

@Daedrix That freakin sux man. Im sure you will make quick work of it though.
One thing I can note for myself is that since having done this swap, and learning every little part of the rover..I dont see a need to ever take this thing to a mechanic and Im super familiar with the whole thing now.

Old 12-21-2021, 02:17 PM
Mudding

I am pleased to report my swap has been fully completed now.
Everything working in normal order, no lights on my dash, no problems at all.

This forum is invaluable to anybody wanting to attempt this project. Everybody on this forum was incredibly helpful throughout, and I probably would not have attempted this myself without being able to ask questions here or find information already posted.
Big thanks to everyone on here!

I am posting progressive updates on Instagram showing the different aspects of the swap, and hope to fill it up with a whole bunch of off-roading adventures soon. Give me a follow @604x4BC !!

I hope to see you guys out there one day!

The following 5 users liked this post by 604x4BC:
CaptainAaron (12-21-2021), IamGoose (01-18-2022), Karmakannon (01-25-2022), losinov (12-21-2021), whowa004 (12-21-2021)
Old 01-18-2022, 11:29 AM
Overlanding
Received 10 Likes on 2 Posts

Afternoon Everyone,
Trying to address a few fault codes that remain within the Rover ECU as well as now addressing the 3 Amigos . Seems a prior owner took the time to pull out the gauge cluster and cut small bits of electrical tape to cover up the warning lights versus fixing the issues. Oh well. guess it is to be expected on an inexpensive Disco. None the less the codes that are showing up on the ultra gauge are as follows:

Trouble Codes:
P0134 - Lambda sensor upstream catalyst bank 1 Drive cycle C:Signal missing.
P0154 - Lambda sensor upstream catalyst bank 2 Drive cycle C:Signal missing
P0201 - Fuel Injector fault - cylinder 1 Drive cycle A:Signal missing.

P0202 - Fuel Injector fault - cylinder 2 Drive cycle A:Signal missing.
P0203 - Fuel Injector fault - cylinder 3 Drive cycle A:Signal missing.
P0204 - Fuel Injector fault - cylinder 4 Drive cycle A:Signal missing.
P0205 - Fuel Injector fault - cylinder 5 Drive cycle A:Signal missing.
P0206 - Fuel Injector fault - cylinder 6 Drive cycle A:Signal missing.
P0207 - Fuel Injector fault - cylinder 7 Drive cycle A:Signal missing.
P0208 - Fuel Injector fault - cylinder 8 Drive cycle A:Signal missing.\
P0340 - Camshaft sensor fault/Valve timing error Drive cycle A:Signal implausible.
P0413 - Secondary air valve power stage fault Drive cycle D:Signal missing.
P0444 - Canister purge valve fault (power stage) Drive cycle C:Signal missing.
P0748 - Pressure regulator check (S/C to +12V).
P1510 - Idle Air Control Valve fault (opening) Drive cycle A:Signal missing.
P1551 - Idle Air Control Valve fault (closing) Drive cycle A:Signal missing.
P1590 - Rough road signal implausible Drive cycle A:Signal implausible.
Pending Trouble Codes:
P0134 - Lambda sensor upstream catalyst bank 1 Drive cycle C:Signal missing.
P0135 - Oxy Sensor Heater Upstream Cat bank 1 Drive cycle C:Signal out of range - above maximum.
P0140 - Lambda sensor downstream catalyst bank 1 Drive cycle C:Signal missing.
P0141 - Oxy Sensor Heater Downstream Cat bank 1 Drive cycle C:Signal out of range - above maximum.
P0154 - Lambda sensor upstream catalyst bank 2 Drive cycle C:Signal missing.

P0155 - Oxy Sensor Heater Upstream Cat bank 2 Drive cycle C:Signal out of range - above maximum- below minimum.
P0160 - Lambda sensor downstream catalyst bank 2 Drive cycle C:Signal missing.

P0161 - Oxy Sensor Heater Downstream Cat bank 2 Drive cycle C:Signal out of range - above maximum- below minimum.
P0734 - Gear ratio monitoring (4th gear).
P1117 - ???????
It appears that the majority of these are tied back to the old Rover engine and not valid any longer due to the LS Swap and the PSI ECU that is controlling the engine. However there are a few that I am uncertain of and looking for a bit of guidance. These would be:

P1510 - Idle Air Control Valve fault (opening) Drive cycle A:Signal missing.
P1551 - Idle Air Control Valve fault (closing) Drive cycle A:Signal missing.
P1590 - Rough road signal implausible Drive cycle A:Signal implausible.
P0734 - Gear ratio monitoring (4th gear).
P0748 - Pressure regulator check (S/C to +12V).
P1117 - ???????

I believe the 1500 codes are tied to the 3 amigos but not sure about the 700 codes or the 1117 code.

Appreciate any guidance that can be provided.

Rob.

Old 01-18-2022, 06:09 PM
Rock Crawling

The Rover ECU will send trouble codes with the swap because it is not running the engine anymore. If you are going to use an ultraguage to watch temps, etc. I would plug it into the GM ECM for monitoring.

Idle air control valve is part of the engine, its erroneous.
Rough road is a 3 amigos fault - I’d clear it and see if it comes back or get a code reader that can read the ABS module.
The rest I would clear and not worry about. The M/S lights will come on if there is trans trouble.

I wouldn't bother looking at the general Rover engine ECU faults - its going to be filled with stuff. I use the Rover OBD2 port to look at specific computers if I need to (like ABS, trans, SRS etc), but you need a reader that is capable of accessing those modules. If you are looking for engine faults, like a misfire, plug into the GM OBD2. If you are looking for body / ABS / trans faults, read those specific computers from the Rover OBD2.

Old 01-19-2022, 04:27 PM
Overlanding
Received 10 Likes on 2 Posts

Captain Aaron

Understood on not having to worry about the fault codes from the Rover with the exception of those associated with the Tranny and 3 Amigos. I am using the Ultra Gauge primarily to monitor the coolant temp now that the temp sensor has been repositioned to the top radiator hose. So far I have no codes associated with the LS and the GM ECU, knock on wood. I have checked this a few times over the past few weeks with the ultra gauge as I have been driving the Disco a bit more

Is there a specific brand /model of scanner that you would recommend over others to sort out the true issues of the Tranny and 3 Amigos. I have seen the Autel Auto Link AL610 OBD2 Scanner referenced a good bit.in the Forums. What scanner are you currently making use of?.

Old 01-19-2022, 04:51 PM
Mudding

Little life hack for everyone regarding scanners.
I used the icarsoft Land Rover/Jaguar i930 scanner for clearing the transmission & rover computers. Works great, reads all the codes and what not.
Cost me $140 CAD on Amazon.

Heres the life hack...Buy it from Amazon, do your thing...and then return in. Shipping is free (if you have prime)....you can do what you need and save a few bucks.
I unfortunately did not return mine in time, and still have it. BUT....I have not touched it since clearing my codes / 1st started driving. ...So...Return it...ideally you shouldn't need it after this...

Old 01-19-2022, 05:09 PM
Rock Crawling

Originally Posted by IamGoose
Captain Aaron

Understood on not having to worry about the fault codes from the Rover with the exception of those associated with the Tranny and 3 Amigos. I am using the Ultra Gauge primarily to monitor the coolant temp now that the temp sensor has been repositioned to the top radiator hose. So far I have no codes associated with the LS and the GM ECU, knock on wood. I have checked this a few times over the past few weeks with the ultra gauge as I have been driving the Disco a bit more

Is there a specific brand /model of scanner that you would recommend over others to sort out the true issues of the Tranny and 3 Amigos. I have seen the Autel Auto Link AL610 OBD2 Scanner referenced a good bit.in the Forums. What scanner are you currently making use of?.
I have an iCarSoft LRII (LR2) for Land Rover and I keep it in the Disco. It is a great thing to keep around in case of issues. It has helped me out numerous times, especially to be able to clear my 3 amigos while on the trail before I fixed them permanently. There are other options, the important part is that they have the ability to view beyond the engine ECU into the trans ECU, ABS, etc. Some, like the Nanocom, will let you program modules.

Last edited by CaptainAaron; 01-19-2022 at 05:17 PM.
Old 01-20-2022, 04:24 PM
Mudding

Tracking my MPGs for the first time ever in a vehicle over here.. How's this looking so far compared to the rest?
(I know I have to do this a few times and take an average..)

I'm in Canada, hence the KM & Litre conversion info...

Quick Reply: Discovery 2 LS Conversion