Engine Swaps This is the place to discuss any and all motor swaps for your Land Rover.

Discovery 2 LS Conversion

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2022, 09:55 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 182 Likes on 117 Posts

Originally Posted by Karmakannon
I got lean cruise to work this morning. I was groggy and didn't even expect it to work. I was cruising at 50 and out of the corner of my eye I see my wideband go red... That's weird. I see it hit 15...16...17... Wow it works! Maybe a little aggressive, but it's a start. Probably a good thing it didn't work on the highway with how mean it was. I changed the params a bit and hopefully it will get a little closer to 15-16. I'll definitely be logging on my drive home today to watch for knock. It's promising though. Crazy how it's cruising at high 16:1 afr and it sounded completely normal and felt normal. I wouldn't have known it worked without my wideband.

PSA: Doing something not stock with your engine? Get a wideband. It's crazy how much insight you can instantly get from seeing your afr.
That is very cool. Wonder how it would do on my stock gears and 31.5 inch tires.

FYI, the difference between the top gear ratio is fairly small - the ZF 4HP24 is 0.73 and the 6L80 is 0.67. So for cruising speed RPM, changing to the 6L80 would lower the RPM, but not a huge amount. Albeit, there are other benefits of more gears, but I think you would probably get larger changes to cruising speed RPM by changing the transfer case ratio, tires, or diff gears as pointed out.

I’d be more interested in the 6L80 if it wasn’t a $5k addition to the build. By the time you add in $1500 for a used 6L80, $1500 for the adapter and mounts, $500 for driveshafts, $1000 for the controller, $200-450 for a tap shift module or shifter, and another $500 for miscellaneous and the interface box to keep the Rover electronics happy, it adds up. And it’s a pretty intensive install to add to that.

There is really only one 6L80 controller that I know of. It’s from PCS (sold by Zero Gravity and others). It’s actually not a controller- it’s just a CAN interface gateway that sends signals to the actual controller that is in the valve body inside the 6L80. You use HPTuners to tune the internal controller. I’d prefer a different control strategy, but the Compushift controller, which I assume would control the solenoids directly, has been “coming soon” for years at this point. I was hoping that more 6L80 controllers would cause prices to dwindle down, but I’ve been watching for a while now, and the R&D interest just doesn’t seem to be there.

Overall though, look forward to hearing more about lean cruise. I think that plus a ZF Compushift might be a pretty nice combo.

Old 09-26-2022, 10:14 PM
Mudding
Received 47 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by CaptainAaron
That is very cool. Wonder how it would do on my stock gears and 31.5 inch tires.

FYI, the difference between the top gear ratio is fairly small - the ZF 4HP24 is 0.73 and the 6L80 is 0.67. So for cruising speed RPM, changing to the 6L80 would lower the RPM, but not a huge amount. Albeit, there are other benefits of more gears, but I think you would probably get larger changes to cruising speed RPM by changing the transfer case ratio, tires, or diff gears as pointed out.

I’d be more interested in the 6L80 if it wasn’t a $5k addition to the build. By the time you add in $1500 for a used 6L80, $1500 for the adapter and mounts, $500 for driveshafts, $1000 for the controller, $200-450 for a tap shift module or shifter, and another $500 for miscellaneous and the interface box to keep the Rover electronics happy, it adds up. And it’s a pretty intensive install to add to that.

There is really only one 6L80 controller that I know of. It’s from PCS (sold by Zero Gravity and others). It’s actually not a controller- it’s just a CAN interface gateway that sends signals to the actual controller that is in the valve body inside the 6L80. You use HPTuners to tune the internal controller. I’d prefer a different control strategy, but the Compushift controller, which I assume would control the solenoids directly, has been “coming soon” for years at this point. I was hoping that more 6L80 controllers would cause prices to dwindle down, but I’ve been watching for a while now, and the R&D interest just doesn’t seem to be there.

Overall though, look forward to hearing more about lean cruise. I think that plus a ZF Compushift might be a pretty nice combo.
I guess I misunderstood. I thought the different transfer case ratios were lower than the discovery 2? I'm with you on the cost of the 6l80. I figured it would be at least $4k. Another option might be an ar5 manual. I'm thinking bigger tires are what I need. Going from 29" to 32.5" didn't seem to slow it down any so I guess bigger tires are next if I can figure out how to fit in the garage. 275/75/18 with 3" lift doable? Haha.

Edit: Ashcroft does have some different transfer case ratios. I might need to look at the 1.1:1. Doing the math it seems like that would lower my highway RPMs another 200-300.
70 is about 2000rpm
75 is about 2200rpm
80 is about 2350rpm
I'm thinking shipping might be a a little salty from jolly old England though.

Last edited by Karmakannon; 09-27-2022 at 05:54 AM.
Old 09-27-2022, 07:53 AM
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Kit availability

Hi all, I'm just curious if anybody has been able to order a kit recently. I understand ACE makes them in batches of 8-10 and can hit some pretty long lead times but I would love to get my name on the waitlist. I've attempted emailing and submitting a contact form on ACE's website several times over the last few weeks and I haven't heard anything. I guess in the meantime i'll continue to educate myself and continue to read through the thread.

Old 09-27-2022, 11:12 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 27 Likes on 18 Posts

I’m running a 6L80 with stock gearing and 32.6” tires and definitely see higher RPMs at highway speeds. I haven’t paid attention to the exact values but 2,300 at 65mph feels about right (I don’t do much highway driving). Roadside Werx told me that 1:1 gearing in the t-case is the best way to get it down.

The following users liked this post:
Karmakannon (09-29-2022)
Old 09-28-2022, 09:16 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

2,500-2,700 RPM @ 70mph is ideal

Old 09-28-2022, 10:41 PM
4wd Low
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The mere fact that I'm asking this question probably means I might be a little over my head in regards to doing this project. What tools told do we need besides basic tools (wenches, screwdrivers, etc.) and engine/Cherry picker? Is there any welding involved? I see this a possible learning opportunity.

Last edited by TuckTuck; 09-28-2022 at 11:37 PM.
Old 09-29-2022, 05:38 AM
Mudding
Received 87 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by rynoman1
I'm 2650 RPM at 70 MPH with 4.43 GBR Gears and 315/75/16 Geolander MT for reference.

​​​​

Old 09-29-2022, 06:12 AM
Mudding

Originally Posted by rynoman1
Ideal for what? Economy, power, wear on components?

Old 10-04-2022, 11:15 AM
Mudding
Default Lean cruise!

I found some more info. I'm still messing with it to get it acting better. I think it was upsetting my vacuum threshold for power enrichment because it worked great at 65-70 and kicked out at higher speeds. It also would kick is from higher speeds when the load increased.

Anyway here's some more info for someone using a tuning software and if you aren't using a tuning software you should be. Tunerpro is free and allows you to make changes like fans or whatever even if your tune is solid.

https://www.ls1gto.com/threads/share...ttings.250178/

I'll try to snap a clip of lean cruise kicking in on the wideband. It's pretty cool actually to see it in action.

Old 10-06-2022, 07:48 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 943 Likes on 634 Posts

Originally Posted by johns_disco
Hi all, I'm just curious if anybody has been able to order a kit recently. I understand ACE makes them in batches of 8-10 and can hit some pretty long lead times but I would love to get my name on the waitlist. I've attempted emailing and submitting a contact form on ACE's website several times over the last few weeks and I haven't heard anything. I guess in the meantime i'll continue to educate myself and continue to read through the thread.
Just saw a post from Todd on one of the Facebook pages. Sounds like he's been a bit covered up, and he's also based in Ft Myers so the hurricane has also impacted him, though I don't know how much.

The following users liked this post:
Karmakannon (10-07-2022)

Quick Reply: Discovery 2 LS Conversion