Engine Swaps This is the place to discuss any and all motor swaps for your Land Rover.

Discovery 2 LS Conversion

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2020, 07:06 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 114 Likes on 84 Posts

Home depot wire for tying rebar is pretty strong for this use, You could use that to attach things as needed. I did this.

I think I called out what size PVC pipe I used in some earlier post, mine fit inside nearly up against the fragile seal but didn't quite put pressure on it, obviously we don't want to damage the seal. I had the pipe long enough that at an angle it it fit and when tapped into place it wedged rather tight against the frame rail. Then I wire tied it above and below the frame rail so it couldn't escape. This allowed me to work freely without risk of it popping out.

Old 04-18-2020, 08:55 PM
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Extremely important

Could you please contact me 574 596 4556 I have a few questions for ls swapping my d2 with a vortec 5.3

Old 04-19-2020, 08:32 AM
Rock Crawling

Originally Posted by lrd2_off
Could you please contact me 574 596 4556 I have a few questions for ls swapping my d2 with a vortec 5.3
https://www.alternativeconversion.com/

Old 04-21-2020, 12:30 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

I was able to get the transmission bell housing swapped and engine installed this past weekend. Hopefully I'm done with the dirty and greasy part of the conversion. I'm now trying to install the gm intake manifold and I noticed the back of the intake is hitting the AC lines on the firewall when I try to install it.

For those that have an LS engine installed, what upper intake manifold are you using? My engine is an LM4 so I believe it has the truck intake. I need about 1" of clearance at the back in order to install the intake. Also, the passenger side head is really close, if not touching the firewall. I may loosen the engine mounts and see if I can get a bit more clearance, but I don't think that will be enough. Anyone have a similar experience?

Old 04-21-2020, 01:49 PM
Three Wheeling

Originally Posted by Rackolamb1
I was able to get the transmission bell housing swapped and engine installed this past weekend. Hopefully I'm done with the dirty and greasy part of the conversion. I'm now trying to install the gm intake manifold and I noticed the back of the intake is hitting the AC lines on the firewall when I try to install it.

For those that have an LS engine installed, what upper intake manifold are you using? My engine is an LM4 so I believe it has the truck intake. I need about 1" of clearance at the back in order to install the intake. Also, the passenger side head is really close, if not touching the firewall. I may loosen the engine mounts and see if I can get a bit more clearance, but I don't think that will be enough. Anyone have a similar experience?
Ok I just checked again and I don't need 1", but it is definitely touching the AC line. I think I need maybe 1/4" to clear.

Old 04-21-2020, 04:31 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts

Ok I just checked again and I don't need 1", but it is definitely touching the AC line. I think I need maybe 1/4" to clear.
The only way to get any forward movement out of the engine and transmission would be to loosen the two bolts (one on each side) on either side of the transmission mounts as well as the 4 carriage bolts (2 on each side) that connect the engine to the engine mounts once all six of those bolts are loose you should be able to pull the engine and transmission forward.

Old 04-22-2020, 02:16 PM
Rock Crawling

So does the plug on the rover harness for the throttle position sensor actually plug into a sensor? I'm assuming no, since that sensor was a part of the Rover throttle body that is no longer a part of the engine setup.
I'm assuming the manual doesn't tell us to cut this plug off since we still need to splice into some of the wires that are connected to it.

Old 04-23-2020, 10:21 PM
Rock Crawling

Read back on my LM4 motor mount issues. I was able to make the best of the scenario. It's at least not touching like it was before but it has hardly any room, perhaps 1/2".

Old 04-27-2020, 10:01 AM
Rock Crawling

How to realign your engine in the engine bay:
I had to reattach the engine lift and fully remove the engine mounts to get any back and forth movement out of the engine and transmission.
There's too much weight on the rubber motor mounts to get things moving without removing them.
I put a ratchet strap around the metal brackets for the transmission mounts (not the actual rubber mounts) and ran them back or forth to an attachment point on the frame either in front or behind the transmission depending on which way I needed to shift everything. Once things were in place I tightened down the transmission bolts so that things were locked in place. Reattached the motor mounts to the motor, aligned with the hole in the frame, tightened the motor mounts onto the motor, pushed the motor over using the bottle jack to get the final two points aligned. Loosening the transmission bolts to let the mounts resettle before tightening again might be a good idea too.

The following users liked this post:
Matt Brown (04-27-2020)
Old 04-28-2020, 01:38 PM
Three Wheeling

Thanks for the suggestions on moving the engine and transmission, that makes sense. I didn't realize the transmission mounts had slots in them for this. I should be getting the remaining parts to finish up the front end accessories later today. For the power steering, I was able to get the high pressure hose connected, but that was a very tight fit. I added a very slight bend to the end which seemed to help. Getting the threads started took a little finagling. Once they started though, it tightened up just fine. The low pressure return hose will not fit without kinking, so I'm just going to add a section of power steering hose. The instructions say it should fit, but I don't see how. I'm about 3" too short.

I'm now starting to think about the exhaust manifold to Discovery Y-pipe. What did everyone do there, did you just take it to a shop? Does the Discovery pipe and exhaust manifolds line up pretty close?

Quick Reply: Discovery 2 LS Conversion