Engine Swaps This is the place to discuss any and all motor swaps for your Land Rover.

Discovery 2 LS Conversion

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2023, 08:40 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 185 Likes on 117 Posts

Originally Posted by Elderair
Okay, this is likely a no brainer but on my LS swap the temps slowly climb after about 4 miles of steep grade especially when towing a trailer or my Samurai. Once I pull over and set for a few minutes the temp slowly comes down to normal and I can continue for another mile or so. I am still using the stock radiator but have installed a custom shroud with dual flex a lite low profile fans that meet the cfm requirements of the LS engine. I am using the stock transmission cooler because I bought the custom transmission lines that connect nicely to the stock cooler. I suspect the transmission is getting hot while towing and also the stock radiator may not be quite up to task. I see 3 row aluminum radiators on ebay but just wondering what cure others have used for transmission and engine additional cooling. Other than extreme conditions like Monarch pass and Wolfcreek Pass I've had zero issues when not towing. This beast has been flawless for 15K miles and am loving it. I have consistently gotten over 15 mpg and even gotten as high as 16 at altitude while towing my Samurai. What a great conversion. Thanks again for any help. The Captain Aaron fix of moving the battery cable away from the ckps has been a perfect fix for over 10k miles so thanks again. Wonderful swap and I get many questions about it.
I think a lot of the issue with these is airflow. I don't know what you are using to control your electric fans, but if it is the GM ECM controlling relays, then you may want to check the tune settings in the ECM regarding vehicle speed and shutting off the fans. To get better fuel economy, the GM ECM can shut off the fans above a certain speed. In some vehicles that would be okay, however I think in the Disco it needs the fans to be spinning, even on the highway, otherwise it starts to warm up. If that speed to turn off the fans is set low, like 50, then you could raise it to something high. Alternatively, you could make an override switch to the relays to turn the fans on.

Old 08-04-2023, 07:08 AM
Drifting
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Rover Discovery getting hot

Now I never thought of checking that setting. I have always heard the fans when climbing these steep grades but now not certain what they are doing at 65mph, etc. Will check since I have the tune saved on hptuners software. Thanks for the heads up. Such a great truck now. I've had at least 5 of these and this is the first one I don't want to sell. Lol

Old 09-10-2023, 10:36 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 57 Likes on 44 Posts

Any updates on new kits coming out?

Old 09-12-2023, 12:49 PM
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Update: I was able to get ahold of the original purchaser and get the instructions off the website.

I'm hoping someone might be kind enough to help me track down the ACE LS Swap instructions. I purchased an ACE kit from a guy that bought from ACE, but never used the kit. I didn't realize the instructions were on ACE's website only. I've tried creating a login for ACE's website and emailed them, but I'm not getting any response. The original purchaser of the kit isn't responsive to my request.

I've got the kit still in the original boxes but would like to see ACE's instructions. Mainly when it comes to the wiring.

Can anyone help me out? Does anyone know a better way to contact ACE rather than email them? Are they still in operation?

Thank you
Brian

Last edited by A0B1732; 09-15-2023 at 01:24 PM.
Old 09-28-2023, 04:32 PM
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Is this kit dead? I have emailed ACE and nothing. Some of their links, like the contact page doesn't work.

Old 09-29-2023, 01:59 PM
Overlanding
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm at a stumbling point. I have triple checked all my wiring, and it's exactly as ACE describes. I had my VATS removed and checked by two different people. But it still acts like VATS is present.

One thing is that my oil sensor might be wired incorrectly. Does anyone know if that sensor communicates with the disco ECM or does it just energize a light on the dash? I ask because I'm wondering if the Disco ECM is shutting the party down early because it thinks there's no oil pressure. What do y'all think?

--Thanks, Chris

Old 09-29-2023, 03:26 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 185 Likes on 117 Posts

Originally Posted by landed.gentry
I'm at a stumbling point. I have triple checked all my wiring, and it's exactly as ACE describes. I had my VATS removed and checked by two different people. But it still acts like VATS is present.

One thing is that my oil sensor might be wired incorrectly. Does anyone know if that sensor communicates with the disco ECM or does it just energize a light on the dash? I ask because I'm wondering if the Disco ECM is shutting the party down early because it thinks there's no oil pressure. What do y'all think?

--Thanks, Chris
As far as I know, the oil pressure sensor is not part of red-blue GM ECM or the Disco ECU.

If you have no fuel pressure, then look at Discovery wiring harness, sensors, etc.
If you have no spark, then look at the GM ECM, or the start wire for the GM ECM (for test - connect OBD2 reader to GM OBD2 port to make sure GM ECM has power when key at position 2/accessory).

The following users liked this post:
landed.gentry (09-29-2023)
Old 09-29-2023, 05:41 PM
Overlanding
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by CaptainAaron
As far as I know, the oil pressure sensor is not part of red-blue GM ECM or the Disco ECU.

If you have no fuel pressure, then look at Discovery wiring harness, sensors, etc.
If you have no spark, then look at the GM ECM, or the start wire for the GM ECM (for test - connect OBD2 reader to GM OBD2 port to make sure GM ECM has power when key at position 2/accessory).
Thanks CA! I do have fuel pressure, and I'll triple check the spark. That's good to know regarding the Disco oil sensor. The splice to power the GM harness is precisely where the ACE manual suggest. But I'll try jumping it to the hot side of the Disco Fuse block and see if that corrects the issue.

I will say that I purchased a ACE kit retail, but I didn't get instructions. Someone else provided me with documentation electronically. So I would love to get the latest greatest instructions because, well, I paid $2,300 for them, but I can't get a response from ACE

Old 09-29-2023, 08:59 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 121 Likes on 82 Posts

As CaptainAaron stated above. “Sensors …
If you have no spark, then look at the GM ECM, or the start wire for the GM ECM (for test - connect OBD2 reader to GM OBD2 port to make sure GM ECM has power when key at position 2/accessory).”

I initially had both of these particular issues. On the sensors I forgot to plug in MAP sensor and had same symptoms

good to go over…in the troubleshooting section.

General Electrical
My Discovery will not run.
There are four things an engine needs to run: fuel, air, spark, and timing. Most issues with this swap are to do with inadequate fuel. While cranking, check the fuel pressure on the LS engine, if it is between 50-60 psi, all is well. If it is not, the try jumping the Rover fuel relay, if this works, then the issue is with the Rover side of the electrical, most likely the positioning of the crankshaft position sensor. If there is fuel, then check for no spark. If there is no spark, the issue is on the GM side of the electrical. If there is neither fuel or spark, check the condition of the battery, and make sure the alarm is disarmed.

Last edited by 04disco2va; 09-29-2023 at 09:13 PM.
Old 10-06-2023, 10:39 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 57 Likes on 44 Posts

Any updates to new kits? Or any person selling theirs?

Quick Reply: Discovery 2 LS Conversion