Engine Swaps This is the place to discuss any and all motor swaps for your Land Rover.

Discovery 2 LS Conversion

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2023, 10:40 AM
Overlanding
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Nosugar0carbs
Any updates to new kits? Or any person selling theirs?
I am wondering this too as I just joined the Disco2 engine detonation club. The rest of the vehicle is in very good condition, so I hate to sell it for salvage. I am not equipped to do a swap myself (no space to do it, tho if I had a space I might attempt it) so I would also have to find someone to do it for me, but If I go that route the LS seems the way to go for sure. However, if the ACE kit is NLA that is a problem.

Old 10-12-2023, 11:36 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts

One question to all LS swap folks: what are you guys doing with your old 4.0/4.6s? there are a lot of us here who are trying to keep those "sludge boxes" (as someone called them) alive and could use some parts...

Old 10-13-2023, 10:05 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 121 Likes on 82 Posts

I did my swap in March. My 4.6 is just sitting at mechanics shop. 118k miles. Replaced head gasket 2018, front cover 2022. Flowkooler waterpump. Thought someone would have grabbed it from Rover shop right away.

Old 10-13-2023, 11:53 PM
Rock Crawling

Originally Posted by 04disco2va
I did my swap in March. My 4.6 is just sitting at mechanics shop. 118k miles. Replaced head gasket 2018, front cover 2022. Flowkooler waterpump. Thought someone would have grabbed it from Rover shop right away.
if I wasn't exactly at the opposite end of the country, I'd be on my way to grab it...

Old 11-21-2023, 12:17 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by miron
One question to all LS swap folks: what are you guys doing with your old 4.0/4.6s? there are a lot of us here who are trying to keep those "sludge boxes" (as someone called them) alive and could use some parts...
My 4.6 is sitting in a barn. The block was drilled to pin the sleeves (which didn't work) so the block is no good. I'm in Kansas City and if anyone in the area wants it, it's yours for the taking. It'll probably go to the scrapyard in the spring if nobody wants it.

Old 11-22-2023, 05:57 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 1,509 Likes on 1,069 Posts

Originally Posted by L33DiscoII
My 4.6 is sitting in a barn. The block was drilled to pin the sleeves (which didn't work) so the block is no good. I'm in Kansas City and if anyone in the area wants it, it's yours for the taking. It'll probably go to the scrapyard in the spring if nobody wants it.
All of the 4.6 guts can be put in to a 4.0 block, I'll take it if no one else wants it.

Old 11-22-2023, 02:39 PM
Mudding
Received 25 Likes on 13 Posts

When I bought my D2, the owner told me the engine was overheating and the car would shut down after 10min or so. I never drove it, had it towed and did the LS swap...4.6 has been sitting in a box since. I recently put it online saying come take it for free, but I pulled the ad because I got a lot of interest in it, to the point I thought maybe I shouldn't be giving this away for free. What the heck is an engine like this worth, and what exactly do you reckon people would want this heap for? Is it worth pulling some component out of it, could I get a couple hundred for the block?

FYI - 2 years on this ACE kit running strong. Loving every minute of it!

Old 11-22-2023, 05:21 PM
Rock Crawling

Originally Posted by 604x4BC
When I bought my D2, the owner told me the engine was overheating and the car would shut down after 10min or so. I never drove it, had it towed and did the LS swap...4.6 has been sitting in a box since. I recently put it online saying come take it for free, but I pulled the ad because I got a lot of interest in it, to the point I thought maybe I shouldn't be giving this away for free. What the heck is an engine like this worth, and what exactly do you reckon people would want this heap for? Is it worth pulling some component out of it, could I get a couple hundred for the block?

FYI - 2 years on this ACE kit running strong. Loving every minute of it
Simplest method is to go on ebay an check hom much the whole thing sells for and how much for components. The usual rule is that you will make more on individual components if you have time and energy to be dealing with the hassle.

Old 01-07-2024, 06:06 PM
Drifting
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Hi Guys,
I'm new to this Forum but not to Range rovers. I had at least 7 at this point.
I'm in the middle of my ACE LS swap and I've run into two issues I'm looking for help on.
1st - the ECB Ace supplies anyone have the the wire color codes. The instructions don't and I can't seem to find any info on it.

2nd - the LS is in and bolted up, but I don't like how close the passenger side head is touching the heat shield on the firewall. With all the mounts loose I can't make anymore clearance. So my two options are open up the holes in the engine mounts or relive the firewall some. Any thoughts would be helpful. it looks like the mounts are designed to push the engine over to the passenger side.
If needed I can get a few pictures.

Thanks Guys!
*Edited - Just checked the "trouble shooting guide" and it looks like the ACE engine mounts were labeled wrong. Long one was labeled DS. so ignore 2nd issue,

Last edited by James2450; 01-07-2024 at 07:47 PM.
Old 01-07-2024, 08:50 PM
8th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi all I was just wondering if Ace still made the conversion kits for the LS because I found out that they stopped making them. maybe I'm late or something but I was really hoping I could get a ace swap kit. please tell me I'm wrong!

Quick Reply: Discovery 2 LS Conversion