Engine Swaps This is the place to discuss any and all motor swaps for your Land Rover.

Discovery 2 LS Conversion

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2019, 04:51 PM
Mudding
Received 221 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by losinov
Ace, can you please address the current status of this kit being emissions compatible. I don't currently live in a city that requires emissions but will be eventually moving back to one that does so this could be a deal-breaker for others as well.
The harness i'm ordering from Speartech will have the post-cat O2 sensors as well as wiring for the purge canister. They have another option for Cali regulations that adds fuel tank pressure and EVAP vent.
Do you recommend to go with all 4 options and wire in the fuel tank pressure sensor as well as the EVAP sensor?
I believe the fuel tank pressure sensor is in-line with the fuel pump.
I'm not so certain about the EVAP sensor and how that would be compatible with their harness.

We have continued to work with emissions, but it really has most to do with the harness you pick rather than our actual kit. That is why we do not plan on offering a specialized “emission kit”. There is really nothing to change in the kit itself, only more things to buy from 3rd parties to add on.

While the kit is may not be good for emissions with most aftermarket harnesses, that’s not to say that you could not make it legal for your state by adding the proper pieces back in. There are numerous issues that arise with us selling an “emissions kit” because the variations between states are enormous.

Because of the differences between states (and even major metropolitan areas), I would recommend talking to shops in your area and your local DMV about what they require. That will give you an idea of if something like this can be done in your area or not. We simply do not have the resources at this time to sort through every metropolitan area and figure out what each one wants.

There’s a couple of things that typically can be dealbreakers for emissions in certain places by virtue of being simply the way the swap works:
· Requires a completely unmodified GM ECM
· Considers transmission a direct part of the emissions system
· An engine older than the vehicle it is swapped into
· A GM ECM that is older than the vehicle it is swapped into

Things that need to be typically added to a standalone harness to meet emissions (may be less):
· Rear O2 sensors
· Purge valve control
· Fuel tank pressure

Things that may also be required:
· A matching VIN number in the GM ECM to the truck
· Paperwork for all parts
· GM Drive-by-wire throttle

Adding these pieces in is not difficult for the most part. The appropriate EVAP system from a GM vehicle may have to be retrofitted. We are currently working on a drive-by-wire setup. Your local DMV, inspection station, or garage that does engine swaps will know the correct plan of action if necessary.

We can help point you in an appropriate direction if this is something you are interested in. Certain harness manufacturers, like Speartech, have experience in these sort of swaps and they should be able to provide you with more accurate information.

That being said, the kit purchaser bears all responsibility for verifying that all emissions standards are met in federal, state, and local jurisdictions. We cannot be responsible and cannot encourage any installation or activity that attempts to circumvent or otherwise evade the law in any jurisdiction.

Old 08-17-2019, 09:14 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 967 Likes on 644 Posts

This is a very small piece of the puzzle that is being laid out right now, but just a quick note that you can change the VIN in a GM ECU using HPTuners, so that part is not a concern.

Old 08-17-2019, 09:50 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 114 Likes on 84 Posts

Bought the rear A/C fan, air ducting, entire wire harness...... HOWEVER I can not for the life of me figure out how the 7th seat that I have without A/C unit taking up the space, is supposed to fit WITH the rear A/C unit there. Nobody seems to be able to answer this question. I would imagine the folding bracket should be different but I can't get info on it. Anyone? SE7 with A/C I guess is what I'm needing to see.

Old 08-17-2019, 10:06 PM
TReK
Received 770 Likes on 638 Posts

my understanding is that the mounting for the seat -- indeed, the whole left side assembly -- is different on the 7-seaters with rear air. if i remember, i will see if i can snap some photos of mine for you.

Old 08-19-2019, 09:30 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by carter2042

6. I broke the motor down to bare block. Polished the crank, sprayed it with over cleaner, pressure washed, added new Mahle piston rings, installed new cam bearings, added comp 54-458-11 crank shown on YouTube Speed Secrets channel to add 100hp over stock and completed reassembly.
For those thinking about going with a cam-swap, are there tunes available online that can be applied to the ECU or will a custom tune almost always have to be applied in order to get a smooth idle and decent performance when swapping a cam?

Update - Pulled the heads today and found some coolant sitting in one of the cylinders. Might have been a bad head gasket. Hopefully the machine shop doesn't find any issues with the block itself. This is the first time i'm looking at cylinders and heads from LS engines. Any thoughts on the condition of these pistons, lifters, cylinders, etc...?
Hoping that a good cleaning at the machine shop will bring this thing back to normal. Engine does turn over by the way, just had to clean out the rust in that cylinder before it would turn over all the way.

Cylinder 5 is the one that had coolant in it.

Close up of the cylinder

Heads

Old 08-20-2019, 06:15 PM
Rock Crawling

Originally Posted by mollusc
my understanding is that the mounting for the seat -- indeed, the whole left side assembly -- is different on the 7-seaters with rear air. if i remember, i will see if i can snap some photos of mine for you.
That'd be amazing if you can show the bracket and such, it must differ!

Meanwhile, my new motor will be ready by Thursday! Can't wait!

The following users liked this post:
gilberjm (08-20-2019)
Old 08-22-2019, 01:45 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 81 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by 05TurboS2K
That'd be amazing if you can show the bracket and such, it must differ!

Meanwhile, my new motor will be ready by Thursday! Can't wait!
The bracket is different as well the side panel itself

Not all 7s had rear ac and vice versa. You need the bracket assembly and side panel from the exact same build out.

The bracket for the 7seater with rear runs out and around the blower, and ALSO goes up and over it

Old 08-22-2019, 08:28 PM
Rock Crawling

Originally Posted by Llamasayswhat
The bracket is different as well the side panel itself

Not all 7s had rear ac and vice versa. You need the bracket assembly and side panel from the exact same build out.

The bracket for the 7seater with rear runs out and around the blower, and ALSO goes up and over it
Well I have the side panel from a 7 Seat with A/C however I do NOT have the bracket for that vehicle. I'll have to find one somehow. Thanks for clearing this up for me!

Old 08-22-2019, 08:30 PM
Rock Crawling

For those thinking about going with a cam-swap, are there tunes available online that can be applied to the ECU or will a custom tune almost always have to be applied in order to get a smooth idle and decent performance when swapping a cam?

Update - Pulled the heads today and found some coolant sitting in one of the cylinders. Might have been a bad head gasket. Hopefully the machine shop doesn't find any issues with the block itself. This is the first time i'm looking at cylinders and heads from LS engines. Any thoughts on the condition of these pistons, lifters, cylinders, etc...?
Hoping that a good cleaning at the machine shop will bring this thing back to normal. Engine does turn over by the way, just had to clean out the rust in that cylinder before it would turn over all the way.

Cylinder 5 is the one that had coolant in it.

Close up of the cylinder

Heads
Why cam or head swap???? Most every cam/head I've seen for this removes power from the low end and adds it to the top end. This motor however isn't going to rev past 4500rpm very much and heck I'd like most my power as low as possible, around 2500rpm. For this reason I stopped looking at options but maybe there's some other stuff out there.

The following users liked this post:
CollieRover (08-23-2019)
Old 08-22-2019, 08:45 PM
Rock Crawling

This thread has 219,000 views and counting........ I bet that'll be some sales for ACE!

The following 2 users liked this post by 05TurboS2K:
CollieRover (08-23-2019), gilberjm (08-25-2019)

Quick Reply: Discovery 2 LS Conversion