Engine Swaps This is the place to discuss any and all motor swaps for your Land Rover.

Discovery 2 LS Conversion

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2019, 07:24 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 46 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by losinov
The disco arrived last week He has been named "Diego". Engine is shot so he is ready for the Vortec swap. Will be submitting the google doc today, Ace.

White D2s are the classiest

Old 01-22-2019, 08:08 AM
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thats a beautiful Disco2.
There's a white one for sale locally to me with a blown engine too! Maybe I'll end up with two LS swapped Discos! lol

Old 01-22-2019, 10:33 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by BradConstantin
Thats a beautiful Disco2.
There's a white one for sale locally to me with a blown engine too! Maybe I'll end up with two LS swapped Discos! lol
Thanks guys! This one had a clean bill of health other than the engine of course. Once this one is running again I can use it to tow more discos back home. It's a never ending cycle! lol

Old 01-23-2019, 08:54 PM
Mudding
Received 221 Likes on 80 Posts

Asking for opinions:

Right now we've been mounting the LS ECMs / fuseboxes / etc inside the glove box (with some modifications). Glove box is taken up, but it functions well. After showing the truck to some people, one of the people commented that he didn't want to lose his glovebox. So I started looking into waterproof boxes to mount the LS ECM in the engine bay by the passenger side firewall (where the SAI pump is).

I'm wondering what people prefer? I personally like keeping the ECM inside the truck, and I don't mind losing the glovebox, but I can see the other side. It wouldn't be hard to do either setup really.

Old 01-23-2019, 08:58 PM
Winching
Received 132 Likes on 78 Posts

I like my glovebox and would like to keep it but if the waterproof enclosure doesn’t looks right or is too expensive I won’t miss my glovebox. I’d make it an option everyone prefers diffrent things

Old 01-23-2019, 09:12 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts

My preference is too keep the glovebox. I'd prefer the glovebox for my random items or a locked box like i've seen on other Discos.
I would pay extra to have the LS ECM mounted under the hood in a watertight enclosure of some sort.

Old 01-23-2019, 10:55 PM
Received 1,135 Likes on 784 Posts

The biggest issue with waterproof is air circulation, I am not sure how much heat a ECM generates. I would think something like a pelican type box under the hood would work fine, after all the Disco already has a ton of fuse and relays under there.
  • Some relief cuts for air circulation, on the fire wall side of the box
  • Protect the air vents with a basic cover to prevent direct entry of water - this is likely overkill given the position but I am of the better safe than sorry school
  • Mount the ECM unit on stand offs on the inside, so any water that does get in is below it.
That should do it, I would think 100.00 in total for an enclosure would do the trick.

We are not talking immersion in water here, more spray from fording or a broken hose kind of thing

Old 01-24-2019, 07:39 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 948 Likes on 637 Posts

Question, why mount it in a box at all? The connectors are already watertight and GM mounts their ECU in the engine bay, stock. Unless the earlier models are different, but that's how my '07 is.

Alternatively.... Would it fit in the air box? Plenty of air flow to keep things cold, it's dry, and you could put the wires thru and then epoxy it so the box is still sealed up. It may not fit with enough room to connect/disconnect it, but there's an idea. Still, I'm not sure it needs to be inside anything if the earlier models are made how mine is.

Old 01-24-2019, 11:43 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 257 Likes on 214 Posts

Id just just leave ECU the useless glove box

Old 01-24-2019, 07:03 PM
Mudding
Received 221 Likes on 80 Posts

Thank you all for the responses. We will start looking into the boxes. There is really no other option besides locating it near the factory ECUs. The main reason for this is to avoid having a bunch of wiring harnesses all over the engine bay. There is a fairly large truckline that needs to run between the LS ECM and the Rover ECU. Keeping this truckline as small as possible is easiest.

At a minimum, I think it should be enclosed, at least as a splashguard. The box would not need to be completely watertight. As another alternative, the ECM would also probably fit in the space for the jack right behind the battery. This way it could fit in the battery’s plastic box and the wiring would not have to be very long.

Quick Reply: Discovery 2 LS Conversion