Engine Swaps This is the place to discuss any and all motor swaps for your Land Rover.

Discovery 2 LS Conversion

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2018, 03:43 PM
Winching
Received 132 Likes on 78 Posts

Praying there is some type of detailed guide , this kit will be my first engine replacement let alone an ls conversion so it’ll be a learning experience for me

Old 12-29-2018, 07:22 PM
Mudding
Received 221 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by escott16
Praying there is some type of detailed guide , this kit will be my first engine replacement let alone an ls conversion so it’ll be a learning experience for me
We will have a full step-by-step instruction guide with pictures. We're aiming to make this as straightforward as it can be.

Originally Posted by losinov
Have you considered putting together a guide on your website that covers individual state engine swap laws? Or maybe just some things to consider post swap when thinking about safety and emissions inspections?
Yes, we're working on compiling a list. It depends a lot on the model year of the engine and the model year of the Discovery. Most of the later Gen 3 LS engines did not have EGR.

We spent time prepping the engine today. Unfortunately much time went to extracting an exhaust bolt that was broken when we got the engine. Because this engine originally had a front sump oil pan, we swapped it for a different one. This included changing the windage tray, and drilling a new hole for the dipstick. We also put in a new water pump.

Old 01-01-2019, 03:46 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts

Hey Ace,
Can you talk a bit more about how you're approaching the conversion plate that mates the LS engines to the ZF 4HP24?
My concern is that if the adapter plate isn't made out of proper metal and engineered precisely enough then we'll be seeing big issues with the swap 5-10k miles down the road.
How many miles are you planning on putting onto the two current test builds before selling this kit to the forum members?
What kind of metal are you using? 6061 or 7075 aluminum alloy? Who will be machining these adapters? Precise manufacturing of this plate will be very important so that minor vibrations don't end up wrecking the transmissions and engines from the inside out.
Thanks for your thoughts!

Old 01-01-2019, 07:15 PM
Mudding

Today, we spent a lot of time extracting this block heater from this LM4 because it conflicted with the motor mounts, which was a bit more difficult than expected, but it eventually came out.

Originally Posted by losinov
How many miles are you planning on putting onto the two current test builds before selling this kit to the forum members?
Precise manufacturing of this plate will be very important
Thanks for your thoughts!
Precision is an important consideration, which is one reason why we are taking our time. The original truck is still doing well. My personal overlanding truck is currently undergoing the conversion and I plan on doing a large trip this coming spring. The five beta testers, who will be receiving prototype kits shortly, will give us a good idea if any revisions are needed. If there are no issues, then we will begin selling the kit.

Old 01-01-2019, 09:36 PM
Received 393 Likes on 306 Posts

So how would this work will you guys just sell the kit to mate the ls to tranny and we would find our own engine to swap ?

Old 01-01-2019, 09:37 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 257 Likes on 214 Posts

Sounds like that is the plan

Old 01-01-2019, 09:47 PM
Super Moderator
Received 1,512 Likes on 1,239 Posts

Seems logical to me to source the engine local since most will be buying a used engine. Saves on shipping and you can find one your comfortable with.

Old 01-01-2019, 10:34 PM
Mudding

Originally Posted by redwhitekat
So how would this work will you guys just sell the kit to mate the ls to tranny and we would find our own engine to swap ?
Yes, that is the plan. Our base kit will include the transmission adapter, motor mounts, accessory drive adapters, and other custom parts needed to make the LS work with the Discovery mechanically and electrically. Additionally, we plan to add a harness rewire option, where we will thin out your Discovery harness to work with the conversion electronics, minimizing the amount of splicing needed.

At the current moment, in all swaps, you will need to purchase your own LS engine, LS wiring harness, and LS engine computer, as well as an assortment of other small parts.

Originally Posted by ArmyRover
Seems logical to me to source the engine local since most will be buying a used engine. Saves on shipping and you can find one your comfortable with.
We hope this strategy will give people the most options and flexibility while cutting down on costs. No major modifications need to be made to the LS to be compatible, so long as it is a 4.8 or 5.3 L Gen 3 truck engine (with more options on the way).

Old 01-01-2019, 10:46 PM
Received 393 Likes on 306 Posts

Thanks

Old 01-07-2019, 07:25 PM
Mudding

Progress! We got the LS running in my personal rig today.

Quick Reply: Discovery 2 LS Conversion