Engine Swaps This is the place to discuss any and all motor swaps for your Land Rover.

Discovery 2 LS Conversion

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2019, 06:37 PM
Drifting
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Keep up the good work ACE cant wait to buy a kit this winter

The following users liked this post:
stereophile33 (07-01-2019)
Old 06-29-2019, 10:09 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts

Thanks for the update, Ace. Slow and steady is the way to go. Bought an LM4 today for $700 with 128k on it from a junk yard, Looking forward to refreshing it while we wait for the official kit to be released.

Old 06-30-2019, 08:31 AM
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Conversion kits

Have you guys completed the conversion kits for the swaps yet? I just bought a slipped sleeve Discovery. These kits could save me time. Thanks.

Old 06-30-2019, 02:20 PM
TReK
Received 769 Likes on 637 Posts

Originally Posted by DamnitsDom90
Have you guys completed the conversion kits for the swaps yet? I just bought a slipped sleeve Discovery. These kits could save me time. Thanks.
literally two posts up. read it.

Old 07-11-2019, 09:24 AM
Winching
Received 44 Likes on 34 Posts

Hey ACE, I wanted to run something by you. I see people putting E-Rod 6.3 LS3 engines in Land Cruisers (Icon4x4). What would be preventing swapping a newer crate engine into the Discovery? Is it a space problem, or a control problem?

I know you've been looking at the most economical options, but I was just curious about possibilities?

Old 07-11-2019, 03:18 PM
Mudding
Received 221 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by robert.juric
Hey ACE, I wanted to run something by you. I see people putting E-Rod 6.3 LS3 engines in Land Cruisers (Icon4x4). What would be preventing swapping a newer crate engine into the Discovery? Is it a space problem, or a control problem?

I know you've been looking at the most economical options, but I was just curious about possibilities?
At this point, the electronics we have can make the Discovery work with most modern engine options – whether diesel or gas – using the stock ZF or other transmission options. Up to this point we’ve tailored everything to work with GM. In the future, I’m sure we will expand to other options. Since the GM platform has such a large aftermarket, it was the logical first step.

To answer your question, a crate E-rod would bolt up and work with the current kit. There are few external differences between the engines we have used and the E-rod. I probably however, would not bolt the E-rod to the 4HP24, just because if you are going that far into a restoration (like an Icon), you might as well go to the 6, 8, or 10 speed. The good news is that we can electrically support that option too.

However, part of the trouble with changing the transmission is the level of complexity. From the progress our beta testers have made, its clear that someone in their home garage can install the current kit. Getting rid of the 4HP24 makes the wiring and install more complex by a significant factor if you want to keep certain factory functionality. While I think competent shops and skilled individuals could install such a system with a different trans, I don’t think as many people would be comfortable doing such a swap in a home garage. I do think there is a market for such swaps and after we get a few more of these first kits out using the 4HP24, we will take another look at more advanced kits and options and perhaps do another prototype build.

Overall, the electrical system is expandable, so if a drivetrain can fit in a Disco 2, then we more than likely can make the gauges, ABS/traction control/hill decent control, A/C, etc work properly with some tinkering. If someone has an idea or is interested in doing some sort of a different build with along those lines, feel free to send a PM or email.

Old 07-11-2019, 04:02 PM
Winching
Received 132 Likes on 78 Posts

I don’t think I’ll be doing the swap till after I graduate but when I do I would be open to upgrading from the 5.3 to the 6.3, aslong as the wiring isn’t insanely difficult.

Old 07-11-2019, 10:47 PM
2nd Gear
Default Ls conversion

Hi I'm about to start an ls2 conversion i want to run the 6 speed manual is there a adapter kit for this configuration in a 97 v8 disco

Last edited by Bighadz1; 07-11-2019 at 10:51 PM.
Old 07-11-2019, 11:56 PM
2nd Gear

A engineer do you an email I can directly contact you on thanks

Old 07-13-2019, 08:07 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 114 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by DriveItLikeYouStoleIt
I'm in the Redmond/Woodinville area and want to tackle this project myself! Would be interested in teaming up for sure..
HEY!!!!
I too am right at the boarder of Redmond/Woodinville, I'm on 124th in English Hill just above the Shell station off Avondale and .... I'm VERY interested in doing this swap. MY 4.6 blew a headgasket today, or worse maybe a sleeve idk.... *Turns out the sleeve is leaking, motor is done. LS time.

Last edited by 05TurboS2K; 07-23-2019 at 08:46 PM.

Quick Reply: Discovery 2 LS Conversion